ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

American in UK - Seeking Tier 1 Visa

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jmestes
Newly Registered

American in UK - Seeking Tier 1 Visa

Post by jmestes » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi all. I'm an American who's been in Glasgow since August 5th. I've rented a flat, and I'd like to live here indefinitely, but I'm currently here on a tourist visa.

My question is this: can I apply for a Tier 1 visa from here in the UK? As I said, I'm holding residence here on a 6-month lease, and my goal is to work and reside in Scotland, but I'm really worried about having to go back to the US to apply for the visa. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jmestes
Newly Registered

Post by jmestes » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:52 pm

Also, if I am successfully able to procure a job offer (I've been interviewing already), would I be able to apply from within the UK for a Tier 2 visa?

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:26 pm

jmestes wrote:Also, if I am successfully able to procure a job offer (I've been interviewing already), would I be able to apply from within the UK for a Tier 2 visa?
Tier-2 is applied by your Employer not you.

jmestes
Newly Registered

Post by jmestes » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:47 pm

Right, but would is it possible to look for a job here in the UK, be offered one, and then have that employer file for my visa?

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Re: American in UK - Seeking Tier 1 Visa

Post by crowbar6 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:49 pm

jmestes wrote:Hi all. I'm an American who's been in Glasgow since August 5th. I've rented a flat, and I'd like to live here indefinitely, but I'm currently here on a tourist visa.

My question is this: can I apply for a Tier 1 visa from here in the UK? As I said, I'm holding residence here on a 6-month lease, and my goal is to work and reside in Scotland, but I'm really worried about having to go back to the US to apply for the visa. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Can't switch from Tourist visa to Tier-1 or Tier-2 within country. You will have to return to country of citizenship and apply for entry clearance.
Regards,
crowbar6

jmestes
Newly Registered

Post by jmestes » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:02 am

Can't switch from Tourist visa to Tier-1 or Tier-2 within country. You will have to return to country of citizenship and apply for entry clearance.

Oh my god. There's absolutely no way to apply within? Even though I'm already here and am renting a place?

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:22 am

jmestes wrote:Can't switch from Tourist visa to Tier-1 or Tier-2 within country. You will have to return to country of citizenship and apply for entry clearance.

Oh my god. There's absolutely no way to apply within? Even though I'm already here and am renting a place?
Please check the following to see if you can 'switch' from existing category to PBS:

1.Tier-1(General) eligibility
2. Tier-2(General) Switching eligibility
Regards,
crowbar6

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:22 am

jmestes wrote:Can't switch from Tourist visa to Tier-1 or Tier-2 within country. You will have to return to country of citizenship and apply for entry clearance.

Please check the following to see if you can 'switch' from existing category to PBS:

1.Tier-1(General) eligibility
2. Tier-2(General) Switching eligibility
Regards,
crowbar6