ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - Is my wife and daughter - eligible for Naturalisation?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jamesuk
Newly Registered

ILR - Is my wife and daughter - eligible for Naturalisation?

Post by jamesuk » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:41 am

Got my ILR Aug 09.Thanks a lot to the forum.

I have 2 questions

1. I got the ILR through the JR criteria. But my wife has only spent less than 2 years in the UK and my daughter less than 1 year. Can they both be included when I apply for Naturalisation in Aug 2010( my wife along with me, as the main applicant and registration for ur daughter as separate application)

2. Assuming the above is possible, what happens if my wife decides to spend 4 months away from the UK(between Aug 08- Aug 09)? Looking at the AN application form, if I make a joint application, they are only asking for the main applicants away days from the UK and there's no questions regarding the partner's absence

Any help and suggestions please welcome. thanks in advance

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:19 am

Your wife has to fill in seperate AN form. The concept of dependency does not apply to naturalisation. Your application can attract a joint fee if it is submitted together, but it cannot be defined as a joint application.

She has to meet the residency requirement like yourself, or else she will not qualify. Once you have received the Naturalisation certificate, she can then apply as the wife of a British Citizen, provided she has lived in the UK for 3 lawful years, which she would by then have , hopefully.

You can apply for the Child using Form MN1 at Secretary of State discretion rather than by entitlement.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

jamesuk
Newly Registered

Post by jamesuk » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:47 am

thanks Obie. I have to say this was news to me. I was always under the impression that -as my wife got the ILR along with me as my dependant, that I could submit a single AN form. Well u learn something new everyday I suppose.Thanx anyway.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:55 pm

jamesuk wrote:thanks Obie. I have to say this was news to me. I was always under the impression that -as my wife got the ILR along with me as my dependant, that I could submit a single AN form. Well u learn something new everyday I suppose.Thanx anyway.
yes it does catch out a lot of people. I think now they have changed the ILR for dependents so there is a minimum stay of 2years but thats another story.

Anyway your child can apply when you apply and doesnt have to satisfy the residency requirement