ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FF accused of making citizenship a 'money-spinner'

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Southern_Sky

FF accused of making citizenship a 'money-spinner'

Post by Southern_Sky » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:21 pm

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 99981.html

''Calling for the publication of a Green Paper on citizenship, the party’s spokesman on immigration and integration, Denis Naughten, said the concept had become “devoid of any value or prideâ€

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:12 pm

Interesting Article...
Introduction of language test ( i wonder whether it be gaelic or english :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

If its Gaelic ....that be just a interesting... I remember a case few years back of Chinese person who went extra mile and learned Gaelic. Came to Ireland and landed at Dublin airport. No one in Dublin Airport Spoke Gaelic .. :lol: :lol: Immigration had to get an interpreter in.

Cultural and Social integration is important for sure. Language am not sure abt. Yea something for English (Toefel etc..) may be.
But in either way, all will be again a MONEY SPINNER only. Offices being setup for cram sessions on Irish History test and language skills.

Regards
Tiggs

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:18 pm

Perhaps, this could be another cynical ploy aimed at reducing the number of people eligible for citizenship.

Perhaps demanding that prospective citizens learn Gaelic, would essentially reduce the number of applications received and hence discourage prospective immigrant from coming to Ireland.

What is ironic about these test, is most of the questions that would be expected to answer by immigrant , would be clueless to the "jus soli" citizens of the state.

For example, i took the UK test (KOL) last week in N. Ireland. I called my degree level educated friend, with whom i went to school in the UK, who apparently is born and bred there, he was unable to answer about 60% of them correctly. It just goes to explain how high the bar is set for immigrant.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

LuasPassenger

Post by LuasPassenger » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:49 pm

tiggs wrote:I remember a case few years back of Chinese person who went extra mile and learned Gaelic. Came to Ireland and landed at Dublin airport. No one in Dublin Airport Spoke Gaelic .. :lol: :lol: Immigration had to get an interpreter in.
He he. This is not a real case. It was a short film (a work of fiction). It's a great and funny film. You can see it in Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA0a62wmd1A