ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Thanks to everybody..I got job in 10 days:

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chandu_246

Thanks to everybody..I got job in 10 days:

Post by chandu_246 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:26 am

Hi all,

Thank you all for your guidance.I entered UK on 29th of august and started applying for jobs from 1st of september and received permanent employment with UK Based company in Cambridge on 9th.My observation is that it is highly unlikely that one receives interview call these days with out Europe or UK experience.I had one yr swiss exp. which fetched me this call.I feel the salary is vey less(25k per annum + Bonus + Pensions + Health Insurance) but looking at the current maket I think it is ok.Your opinions are welcome on this.

Some times things are crazy..when requirement is Urgent....Isn't it? I have no UK bank account, no NI number and no NHS registration as these are basic things comanies here look at even for a contract job.HR asked me for these details and I said I don't have any of these now.She said it is fine and issued me the offer.She told me to make sure that atleast I have NI number before joining.

Regards,
Chandra

mvent00
Diamond Member

Re: Thanks to everybody..I got job in 10 days:

Post by mvent00 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:43 am

Congratulations!!!
Something is always better than nothing. :)
chandu_246 wrote:Hi all,

Thank you all for your guidance.I entered UK on 29th of august and started applying for jobs from 1st of september and received permanent employment with UK Based company in Cambridge on 9th.My observation is that it is highly unlikely that one receives interview call these days with out Europe or UK experience.I had one yr swiss exp. which fetched me this call.I feel the salary is vey less(25k per annum + Bonus + Pensions + Health Insurance) but looking at the current maket I think it is ok.Your opinions are welcome on this.

Some times things are crazy..when requirement is Urgent....Isn't it? I have no UK bank account, no NI number and no NHS registration as these are basic things comanies here look at even for a contract job.HR asked me for these details and I said I don't have any of these now.She said it is fine and issued me the offer.She told me to make sure that atleast I have NI number before joining.

Regards,
Chandra

nksg

Post by nksg » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:13 am

congratulations on you success!!

Regards,
Chandra

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Post by cheshiregoan » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:55 pm

It is almost impossible to get a NI number within 10 days of landing in the UK. You usually have to wait one or two weeks to get an appointment.

That said congratulations on getting the job so quickly, now go to the local JobCentre to get an NI appointment and go to a local bank to get your account sorted.

The NHS is not as much a priority job wise but you should do that as soon as you get a GP ready to register you.

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:43 pm

Regards,
Chandra
congrats chandra. you actually cant say 25k is very less. it totally depends on what kind of job it is. if its a relaxing easy job, then 25k should be fine. but if its a tierdsome job that includes physical labor or something then itmay be less. so it really depends.. you want to share about your job description?

betterlatethannever

Post by betterlatethannever » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:40 am

Congratulaions, Chandra!!!

Can you tell me from which site where you applying for job?

hsmp_1476

Post by hsmp_1476 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:23 pm

congrats mate. This rarely happens in the current market, so you have done a great job.

Getting a bank account can be painful as newcomers will not have any documents like address proof etc. Best thing is get a letter from the employer, which will get you going. NI is a must, but not urgent. You can do it in 2-3 months time.

do share with the group about ur skill sets and how you went about searching the job etc.

Vikram

chandu_246

Post by chandu_246 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

The following are the things I have done in job search process.

1.I Browsed different websites like reed,jobserve,Monster and CWjobs.

2.Important thing is during the registration process,i didn't leave any field blank even the optional.Always gave the full address in the resume, jobsite and attached a cover letter along with CV.

Regards,
Chandra

Can you tell me from which site where you applying for job?[/quote]

dima
Member of Standing

Post by dima » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:54 pm

chandu_246 wrote:Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

2.Important thing is during the registration process,i didn't leave any field blank even the optional.Always gave the full address in the resume, jobsite and attached a cover letter along with CV.

Regards,
Chandra

[/quote]

can u tell us which field you are in to??

chandu_246

Post by chandu_246 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi Dima,

I work in Mainframe and SAS.Basically an IT guy.

Regards,
Chandra

dima wrote:
chandu_246 wrote:Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Regards,
Chandra

can u tell us which field you are in to??[/quote]

Vedapon
Newly Registered

Post by Vedapon » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:45 pm

To open a new bank account, you will need to show proof of valid residence in the UK eg utility bills - water/electicity/gas bills or a council tax document.

UK banks do not accept letters from employers to facilitate opening a savings/current account.

Unless you came in on a work permit, in which case the hiring employer will take care of this for you.

I came in end April, took me 7 weeks to show proof of valid residency before the bank accepted these documents.

Veronica
xx

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:03 pm

Vedapon wrote:To open a new bank account, you will need to show proof of valid residence in the UK eg utility bills - water/electicity/gas bills or a council tax document.

UK banks do not accept letters from employers to facilitate opening a savings/current account.

Unless you came in on a work permit, in which case the hiring employer will take care of this for you.

I came in end April, took me 7 weeks to show proof of valid residency before the bank accepted these documents.

Veronica
xx
Council tax bill is usually the quickest one to get.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Post by cheshiregoan » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:16 pm

Vedapon wrote:To open a new bank account, you will need to show proof of valid residence in the UK eg utility bills - water/electicity/gas bills or a council tax document.

Veronica
xx
Some banks also accept the letter from Job Centre which confirms your National Insurance number. A friend of mine recently opened an account with Barclays, and since he was living with me while searching for a job, this was the only document he had, it was accepted.
Please do not send me any Private Messages as I do not check these.