ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship & Indian Passport - Help!!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Shadow Love
Newly Registered

British Citizenship & Indian Passport - Help!!

Post by Shadow Love » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:29 pm

Hello all,

I had to resort to writing my question here, after receiving dubious answers from most "knowledged" people/websites I'd asked/read on Citizenship issues.

My problem(s) is/are:

1) I am an Indian citizen, holding an Indian passport, who was granted British Citizenship last week. I am reluctant to apply for a British passport straightaway as I'm travelling to Belgium next week for a week's holiday. Can I still travel on my Indian passport, which has a valid Schengen Visa for a year (as I'm technically no longer Indian)?? Where does this leave my travelling status, as I currently hold an Indian passport but may no longer be considered Indian, and I have a British Citizenship but not a British Passport?

2)Can I carry on using my Indian passport (expires in 2013) to travel to India, despite having received my British Passport (in the future)? I know India does not allow dual citizenship, but is there any way of the Indian Govt. knowing that I have received my British Citizenship? (I don't think the British Govt. would go about declaring that). What are the repercussions of carrying two passports? Or can I just leave my British passport behind when I travel to India, as my Indian passport has my ILR stamped in it, so that should allow me to exit India?

3) If I do decide to play it safe, and inform the Indian Govt. of my British citizenship, do I apply for an OCI or PIO status? What are the advantages and the difference in costs?

I do apologise for such a long-winded query but I have been going round in circles, looking up various websites for answers, and still arriving at nothing. Any help/advice is much appreciated.

~S~

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:58 pm

I dont know anything about Indian Immigration law, but one thing is certain, your ILR is automatically voided on becoming a British citizen, read one of the notes that came with your citizenship approval, so you may find it difficult to re-enter if you do not carry your British passport, Border guards make a big fuss about this.
I decided not to take the risk as i was granted citizenship lately, waiting for my British passport, its not worth the risk.
Secondly, am not too sure, i think i have read in a post somewhere, that it is a criminal offence not to declare and hand over your Indian passport to your consular when you take up another citizenship.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:04 am

[1] Not sure
[2] Once you get your British passport, you are legally bound to hand your Indian passport over to Indian govt. - otherwise you can be prosecuted.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:27 am

rg1 wrote:[1] Not sure
[2] Once you get your British passport, you are legally bound to hand your Indian passport over to Indian govt. - otherwise you can be prosecuted.
It irrelevant whether you get a British passport or not, once you have attended the British citizenship ceremony you are now British and not Indian, and hence your Indian passport is actually invalid.

joshiankit07
Newly Registered

Post by joshiankit07 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:27 pm

hi,
I don't have much info about things u have mentioned but i think u'll find this link useful...
http://www.immihelp.com/nri/overseascitizenshipindia/

good luck with ur search and watever u decide let us knw here, as it could be useful to us here....

thanks

sidster007

Travelling after naturalization

Post by sidster007 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:18 am

Hi there,

I am an Indian national and recently applied for naturalization for British Citizenship. I need to travel to Europe towards the end of November and expect to get approval for British citizenship and attend the citizenship ceremony by then. I realise that I will not have sufficient time to get my British Passport by then. My Indian passport has the required Schengen visa but will be technically invalid after I take oath for British Citizenship.

Two questions

1) Will I have a problem in coming back to the UK because I am entering on my Indian passport even though I will be a British Citizen. I read somewhere that the ILR stamp on my Indian passport becomes invalid after I become a British citizen and that to re enter you need a "right of abode" stamp in your foreign passport.

2) Soon after I return I will apply for an indian visa or OCI. Will my application be jeopardized if I have used my Indian passport (even though its not to travel to India) after acquiring BC.

Any advice or insight on this would be most appreciated !

saabu
Newly Registered

Re: Travelling after naturalization

Post by saabu » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:20 pm

sidster007 wrote:Hi there,

I am an Indian national and recently applied for naturalization for British Citizenship. I need to travel to Europe towards the end of November and expect to get approval for British citizenship and attend the citizenship ceremony by then. I realise that I will not have sufficient time to get my British Passport by then. My Indian passport has the required Schengen visa but will be technically invalid after I take oath for British Citizenship.

Two questions

1) Will I have a problem in coming back to the UK because I am entering on my Indian passport even though I will be a British Citizen. I read somewhere that the ILR stamp on my Indian passport becomes invalid after I become a British citizen and that to re enter you need a "right of abode" stamp in your foreign passport.

2) Soon after I return I will apply for an indian visa or OCI. Will my application be jeopardized if I have used my Indian passport (even though its not to travel to India) after acquiring BC.

Any advice or insight on this would be most appreciated !
Hi,

My advice is simple and as follows:

Even after you get the approval letter for British Citizenship, you have about 3 months before you attend the ceremony and get the certificate in hand. The date of the ceremony is the date you would have been conferred the citizenship. Therefore, even after you get your approval letter, delay your ceremony until to return to the UK after your Europe visit.

I must warn you that the Indian High Commission is clamping down on people who have travelled on the Indian Passport after receiving British Citizenship. They are charging a penalty of about £125.00 per episode of travel abroad after one acquires the Citizenship. This means that even if you have used the Indian Passport to travel to Europe and not India, this still constitutes violation in their eyes. This is in addition to the £90.00 they are charging for the Surrender fee.

Take my advice - in one line - delay the Citizenship ceremony until after you return from Europe with your Indian Passport.

Regards,

Saabu.