ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa Sponsorship Advice

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lonelyhusband
Newly Registered

Visa Sponsorship Advice

Post by lonelyhusband » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:02 pm

I am UK citizen living / working in UK permanently. My wife is US citizen living in US. We have been married 6.5 years, lived together in US for just under 2 yrs after marriage then I had to leave by law. It looks like I'm not getting back to the US.

Situation is as follows. I want to sponsor her to reside here in the UK with me, I'm on a low salary and live in a Studio flat ie 1 room with separate bathroom and Spam.

Q1.Would a Visa be denied based on my accomodation? We will move somewhere larger once she is here and working.
Q2.If I moved into a council propery before sponsoring her would that affect my eligibility to sponsor her?

My wife had an operation in the US which needs to be reversed (should have been done 6 months ago but we cannot afford the 1st op bills to allow her to have second surgery)
Q3.If she is allowed to the UK could she have her surgery here on NHS or NHS private?

Sponsorship could be a problem. Why?
Income after tax £220 weekly or £880 PCM

Outgoings PCM
Rent £260 (Inclusive of Gas, Electric, Water Rates)
Council tax £66
BT £13.50
Motorbike Insurance £7
Life Insurance £8.50
Maintainence / Child Support to Ex Wife £88.00

Total income £880 PCM
Living Expenses £443.00 PCM
No Consideration for food or clothing leaves disposable income of £437.00 PCM or £109.25 weekly
Q4.Is this enough for sponsoring my wife to reside in the UK?

Q5.Would it make a difference if my employer offered her a job?

Q6.If I took a part time job to increase my income, how much extra should I be trying to earn?

Advice / Suggestions / Answers all welcome.

immigrationuk2009
BANNED

Re: Visa Sponsorship Advice

Post by immigrationuk2009 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:23 pm

Hi
Q1.Would a Visa be denied based on my accommodation? We will move somewhere larger once she is here and working.
One bedroom is OK for two people but you should mention exact measure with photographs plus your tenancy agreement.
Q2.If I moved into a council property before sponsoring her would that affect my eligibility to sponsor her?
Not a good idea.As you have to prove that you can accommodate and maintain yourself without resource to public funds.

This would affect your application.
Q3.If she is allowed to the UK could she have her surgery here on NHS or NHS private?
Yes she is entitle for free NHS treatment.Yes this would be possible.

Sponsorship could be a problem. Why?
Income after tax £220 weekly or £880 PCM

Outgoings PCM
Rent £260 (Inclusive of Gas, Electric, Water Rates)
Council tax £66
BT £13.50
Motorbike Insurance £7
Life Insurance £8.50
Maintainence / Child Support to Ex Wife £88.00

Total income £880 PCM
Living Expenses £443.00 PCM

No Consideration for food or clothing leaves disposable income of £437.00 PCM or £109.25 weekly
Q4.Is this enough for sponsoring my wife to reside in the UK?
You need £100.75 per week for two people after paying accommodation and council tax.There is a case law in court that how much two people need to satisfy maintence.

So home office has set standard that two people should have funds equal to income level of two people in uk after accommodation and council tax thats is £100.50 nearly.

Q5.Would it make a difference if my employer offered her a job?
Yes indeed would make a difference.
Q6.If I took a part time job to increase my income, how much extra should I be trying to earn?
I already told you how much you need for maintenance.Yes if you increase your income this would make your visa easy.

UK_Banned_Member

lonelyhusband
Newly Registered

Post by lonelyhusband » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:46 pm

immigrationuk2009 wrote:
the answers to every one of my questions, i didnt repost them so as not to spam the forum.
Thank you for clearing this everything up for me so quickly. :)

Have you any idea how long it takes to process a Entry clearance visa from start to finish? thanks in advance...edited post I have found the answer to this - no more than 60 days

immigrationuk2009
BANNED

Post by immigrationuk2009 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:54 pm

lonelyhusband wrote:
immigrationuk2009 wrote:
the answers to every one of my questions, i didnt repost them so as not to spam the forum.
Thank you for clearing this everything up for me so quickly. :)

Have you any idea how long it takes to process a Entry clearance visa from start to finish? thanks in advance...edited post I have found the answer to this - no more than 60 days
Hi

Home office has set processing time for each country.

For spouse visa it takes upto 3months in many counties.

As I said it depends each country.

As you are from US they have very good processing times.So Yes it would be within 60 days.

UK_Banned_Member

lonelyhusband
Newly Registered

Post by lonelyhusband » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:34 pm

immigrationuk2009 wrote: Hi

Home office has set processing time for each country.

For spouse visa it takes upto 3months in many counties.

As I said it depends each country.

As you are from US they have very good processing times.So Yes it would be within 60 days.

UK_Banned_Member
Thank you for the info, 60 days is nothing compared to the 5 yrs we've wasted on US immigration.

I have also been offered a small part time job cleaning, it's only an extra £21 per week, I will have to pay my own taxes on this but it will give me a little extra to help with sponsorship.

I also have half the money required for my wife's Visa app
:)