ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - Schengen Visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hignfu
Newly Registered

ILR - Schengen Visa

Post by hignfu » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:15 pm

Sorry if this is a daft question but I can't seem to find the answer....

Do you still have to apply for a schengen visa when travelling to the EU when you have ILR to remain in the UK? My husband is albanian with ILR and just wondered if we still have to get additional visa.

Many Thanks
Emma

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:16 pm

I think you will find most if not all EEA coutries demand you get one.

taliska

Post by taliska » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:18 pm

UKBabble do you are anyone else reading this know if there are plans for permanent residents(ILR) to not have to get shengen visas to travel?

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:50 am

taliska wrote:UKBabble do you are anyone else reading this know if there are plans for permanent residents(ILR) to not have to get shengen visas to travel?
There are no plans that I'm aware of, the common travel area we have with the Irish Republic would have to be abolished first.

IMMIGRATION LAWYER
United Kingdom

Post by IMMIGRATION LAWYER » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:38 pm

In most cases - yes.

ILR is a UK grant of status and refers to the UK only.

Filipinas

Schengen Visa

Post by Filipinas » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:28 am

If you are not from an EEA country, even if you and your family are holding an UK ILR visa, you'd still need to apply for schengen visa. Some citizens of named countries can apply by post but there is a list of countries w/c need to do it personally (or in-person interview).

Filipinas

roopscisco

Re: ILR - Schengen Visa

Post by roopscisco » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:50 pm

hignfu wrote:Sorry if this is a daft question but I can't seem to find the answer....

Do you still have to apply for a schengen visa when travelling to the EU when you have ILR to remain in the UK? My husband is albanian with ILR and just wondered if we still have to get additional visa.

Many Thanks
Emma
Hello, Yes you have to get the visa to visit EU even though you hold ILR.

cheers.
Roopscisco.

aboudi

Post by aboudi » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:30 pm

people who hold UK EEA family permits or UK Perminant residency by virtue of spending 5 years on a EEA family permit dont need a schengen visa.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:20 pm

aboudi wrote:people who hold UK EEA family permits or UK Perminant residency by virtue of spending 5 years on a EEA family permit dont need a schengen visa.
Generally! But if you are not with (or joining) the EU national you depend on, some countries will require you to apply for schengen visa, regardless! Example? The Netherlands!
Last edited by Rozen on Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bani

Post by bani » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:25 pm

aboudi wrote:people who hold UK EEA family permits or UK Perminant residency by virtue of spending 5 years on a EEA family permit dont need a schengen visa.
if you hold a family permit by virtue of marriage/partnership to an EU/EEA national (or ILR after that), you don't need a schengen visa if you are travelling with or meeting up with your partner in that schengen country. this is true for france, but other countries may still give you a hard time.

but if you have ILR from other means (work, ancestry, long residence, etc), you still need a schengen visa.

sani2009
Newly Registered

Post by sani2009 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:34 am

You still need to apply for schengen visa when travelling to european countries with your UK ILR status
hignfu wrote:Sorry if this is a daft question but I can't seem to find the answer....

Many Thanks
Emma

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:36 pm

sani2009 wrote:You still need to apply for schengen visa when travelling to european countries with your UK ILR status
bani wrote: but if you have ILR from other means (work, ancestry, long residence, etc), you still need a schengen visa.

taiwanpassportholder
Newly Registered

do i need shengen visa with UK tier 4 visa?

Post by taiwanpassportholder » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:35 pm

hi~

i heard that i don't need a shengen visa if i have uk tier 4 visa. is that true? i have taiwan passport.

when i do need to apply, is there one for mutiple entries and with more than 90 days? so i don't have to re-apply during my stay in uk.

thank you!

=)

alexsh1

Re: do i need shengen visa with UK tier 4 visa?

Post by alexsh1 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:42 pm

taiwanpassportholder wrote:hi~

i heard that i don't need a shengen visa if i have uk tier 4 visa. is that true? i have taiwan passport.

when i do need to apply, is there one for mutiple entries and with more than 90 days? so i don't have to re-apply during my stay in uk.

thank you!

=)
UK is not a part of the Schengen agreement so you would need visa to travel to any EU country.

taiwanpassportholder
Newly Registered

thank you!

Post by taiwanpassportholder » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:56 pm

that's what i first thought of it would be as well.. but thank you for comfirming it!

any suggestion for applying for the visa without a planned trip? or do i ALWAYS have to have a PLANNED trip PRIOR to the application?

thank you!!

:)

alexsh1

Re: thank you!

Post by alexsh1 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:10 pm

taiwanpassportholder wrote:that's what i first thought of it would be as well.. but thank you for comfirming it!

any suggestion for applying for the visa without a planned trip? or do i ALWAYS have to have a PLANNED trip PRIOR to the application?

thank you!!

:)
No, you do not have to have a planned trip. I used to get annual Schengen Visas at the French Embassy. But...you need a business invitation and you need to show a letter from your company that you are employed. Obviously, being a business traveller you could not possibly have a planned trip.