ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WP - Tier 1 - ILR timeline question

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Boogie
Newly Registered

WP - Tier 1 - ILR timeline question

Post by Boogie » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:35 pm

Hello,

I entered the UK on a WP on September 12, 2006, my WP was valid for 5 years until September 12, 2011. I have now switched to a Tier 1 General Visa, issued on August 19th, 2008, valid until August 19th 2011.

The timing on this puts me a little under a month short of the required 5 years in order to apply for ILR. However I have read that you can apply for IRL 30 days before you current visa expires.

August 19th, 2011 is within the 30 day window of my 5 years in the UK. Does anyone think I can get away with it, or do I need to apply for an extension of 2 years for my Tier 1, and then like 2 months later apply for IRL. If that's the cose it will cost me lots of money!

Thanks for your assistance in advance,
Boogie

Thambi

Re: WP - Tier 1 - ILR timeline question

Post by Thambi » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:12 pm

I don't know why you didn't calculate this before applying for Tier-1. I don't think your case is valid as HO is very stirct with 5 yrs criteria, its not application date.

Anyway mail HO, you have enough time to get the details & ask then if they would consider the initial WP validity date which is beyond the Tier-1 date.
Boogie wrote:Hello,

I entered the UK on a WP on September 12, 2006, my WP was valid for 5 years until September 12, 2011. I have now switched to a Tier 1 General Visa, issued on August 19th, 2008, valid until August 19th 2011.

The timing on this puts me a little under a month short of the required 5 years in order to apply for ILR. However I have read that you can apply for IRL 30 days before you current visa expires.

August 19th, 2011 is within the 30 day window of my 5 years in the UK. Does anyone think I can get away with it, or do I need to apply for an extension of 2 years for my Tier 1, and then like 2 months later apply for IRL. If that's the cose it will cost me lots of money!

Boogie

sheedatali

Post by sheedatali » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:19 am

I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but does'nt 5 year clock reset if you switch from WP to Teir 1? I am in similar situation, I am currently on WP which is valid till 2011 and thinking of switching to Teir 1. However I have concerns that the 5 year clock will be reset if I switch my visa to Teir 1. Can anyone explain ?

Thanks

sheedatali

Post by sheedatali » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:37 am

Could someone please clear this up ? Thanks in advance.

vignesh
Newly Registered

Post by vignesh » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Hi,

The clock would not switch.It is 5 yrs of stay in UK either on Workpermit or HSMP or Tier 1.For ILR new rule states the immediate visa should be Tier1. Hope this helps.

Thanks

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:10 pm

Boogie

You can apply 28 days before your current visa expires not 30 days, i know its only couple of days but it is very important that you do not apply earlier than 28 days.

Also your ILR clock would not re set just because someone switches from WP to Tier 1, its the other way round you can not do.
Magsi

Pierrot95

Post by Pierrot95 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:01 am

It looks like you've put yourself into trouble, since your WP is invalidated when your Tier 1 is granted. You won't meet the 5 years legal stay requirement if you apply with your current Tier 1.
magsi23 wrote: Also your ILR clock would not re set just because someone switches from WP to Tier 1, its the other way round you can not do.
You can do the other way round too.

---

Rohila
Newly Registered

Work Permit,Tier-1 and ILR

Post by Rohila » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:21 am

Hi,

I came here in the UK along with my family on work permit in Sep 2006 and later applied for Tier-1 visa in May 2008 before the ending of my work permit, that was due in July 2008. The Tier-1 visa was granted in March 2009 for three years up to March 2012. I would request members to help guide me that would I be entitled to apply for ILR on having five years of stay in the UK in Sep 2011?

Please guide me so I could organise things accordingly.

Regards,

R