ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

passport related enquiery... when abroad

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tevel3
Newly Registered

passport related enquiery... when abroad

Post by tevel3 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:02 pm

hey there

so i already have a british passport, but my questions is about something else...
what do i do in a case of which i have lost my passport when on a holiday?
i am planning on going on a trip to aus (for quite a long period), and i was wondering how can i proof my nationality (to the embassy when applying for a new passport) if a passport is my only proof of nationality abroad, although i do have other sorts of ids, but none of them are british ones.

anyways... cheers :D

meats
BANNED

Re: passport related enquiery... when abroad

Post by meats » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:07 pm

tevel3 wrote:hey there

so i already have a british passport, but my questions is about something else...
i am planning on going on a trip to aus (for quite a long period), and i was wondering how can i proof my nationality (to the embassy when applying for a new passport) if a passport is my only proof of nationality abroad, although i do have other sorts of ids, but none of them are british ones.

You'd need to report the missing passport to the police, get a police report and contact the embassy. I'm sure that the embassy would have access to a database to confirm who you are etc.

tevel3
Newly Registered

Post by tevel3 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:12 pm

are u sure about the database thing?

and tnx

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:18 pm

If you go to the British consulate website of the country you're in when you lose your passport, they usually have info on what you should do over there.
Probably best to make a photocopy of the passport and keep it separately. :idea:

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:25 pm

tevel3 wrote:are u sure about the database thing?

and tnx
I don't know for certain but i'd imagine that they would be able to make checks of some sort, otherwise you'd have all sorts of people 'losing' their passports abroad and claiming to be British...

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:48 pm

meats wrote:
tevel3 wrote:are u sure about the database thing?

and tnx
I don't know for certain but i'd imagine that they would be able to make checks of some sort, otherwise you'd have all sorts of people 'losing' their passports abroad and claiming to be British...
Yes the FCO can access the IPS database.

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:00 pm

Ok so you planning to loose your passport abroad? Interesting! :)
Magsi

tevel3
Newly Registered

Post by tevel3 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:23 pm

magsi23 wrote:

Ok so you planning to loose your passport abroad? Interesting! :)
haha well im not planning, but always good to know...