ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement-does student visa count for ILR ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

marymaar
Newly Registered

Settlement-does student visa count for ILR ?

Post by marymaar » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:49 am

Hi

Does student visa count towards ILR 5 years...

I have been in the uk for 5 years , 2 of which as a student...

Could I apply for ILR?

Please comment.

Thanks xx

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:52 am

im afraid you cant. The 5 year rule applies to migrants who have spent 5 yrs on either work permits or HSMP/tier 1 or a combination of both. Your student visa counts towards the 10year rule for long residence.

anotherspouse
Newly Registered

Post by anotherspouse » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:01 pm

hsmpengineer wrote:im afraid you cant. The 5 year rule applies to migrants who have spent 5 yrs on either work permits or HSMP/tier 1 or a combination of both. Your student visa counts towards the 10year rule for long residence.

I am afraid the time you spent as student do not count for ILR purposes. I personally spent my 1st 3 years in the UK as student. I just got my ILR after 8 years in uk....only the last 5 years counted towards the ILR.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:47 pm

marymaar, it might help if you tell us what type of visa you have now?
John