ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Citizen in Germany inviting family under EU Directive

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

eldane
Mood:
Denmark

I will let the other guys answer that...

Post by eldane » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:32 pm

But it would seem that the German embassy staff in SDQ are loading heavily on the Brugal Oro (Dominican rum for the less travelled in that area) as they are telling you all sorts of crap.

That is usually what my less experienced colleagues do here at work when they don't know what to do solving a customers fault on our equipment. Could that be the same over there? That they haven't got a f**k idea what they are dealing with?? Ya, tu lo ya sabes ;-)

Michael
Good intentions are appreciated but results are what matters..

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:37 pm

[b]Schengen Entry Rules[/b] wrote:
Crossing the borders
What are the entry conditions for third-country nationals?

Third-country nationals must:

* hold a valid passport or travel document;
* be in possession of a valid Schengen visa, if required (a residence permit issued by a Schengen Member State is considered equivalent to a Schengen visa);
* have sufficient means of subsistence for the intended stay;
* not be listed for refusal of entry;
* not be considered a threat to public policy, internal security, public health or international relations.

The United Kingdom and Ireland do not apply the Schengen Borders Code and have their own national regulations on those issues.

Third-country nationals who are members of an EU citizen’s family and who accompany the EU citizen moving to a Member State other than that of which he or she is a national or who join the EU citizen residing there are covered by different rules as they can benefit from Directive 2004/38/EC on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States (including the UK and Ireland).
They are not supposed to deport them. However, to be on the safe side, it will be best for you to be at the airport and give your family a copy of your passport and evidence of your relationship to show to the immigration officer. Also please make your presence known to the immigration officers at Brussels. That should suffice.

So long as they are made aware, that you are in Brussels at the time of their arrival and you provide them with a contact number, should they wish to verify this, they will certainly be fine. Don't loose sleep over that.

I wish you all the best.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

JuniorG

Post by JuniorG » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:04 am

Good morning guys, thank you for the support and words of encouragement. Apologies for not writing sooner, I have been so busy!

Well, just to close this post, my family travelled last weekend and I went to pick them up from Brussels. I told my brother to take as much documentation with him as possible to prove that we are related and to prove that I had invited them over. He took copies of our birth certificates, copies of our passports, he also took the letter of invitation I had taken to apply for the entry visa (the Verpflichtungserklärung) and he had my contact details to hand just in case.
Well, they went to Passport control and handed over the passports. They checked and asked couple of questions about whom they were visiting and where they were going to stay. He handed over the documents for them to check and that was pretty much it. They stamped the passports and they were free to walk!

My mum and brother are now here and I am a happy man!!

Thanks again to all who commented on this post. Your advice/support was very helpful

Regards,

Junior