ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR --> How to apply For EU Resident Permit

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zimbo
Newly Registered

ILR --> How to apply For EU Resident Permit

Post by zimbo » Thu May 13, 2004 1:06 pm

Hi all,

For months now I as a SAD ILR tagged person, have been looking into breaking into the bouyant EU IT job market with serious obstacles. Really ILR so far hasnt changed me except that you dont have to watch over your shoulders, less stressful or ...

Now I heard there is such a thing called EU resident permit.
This EU resident permit is like those issued to new EU member states.
Can I apply for this permit from HO in the UK.

This permit is different from schengen and other EU visiting/working visa.

It is a crazy affair, EU resident permit is stronger than UK ILR.

Any ideas please help.

Cheers

Zim

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu May 13, 2004 1:23 pm

1. The permit you are refering to is a common format or uniform format residence permit.

2. This is granted to nationals of third countries who are resident in a EEA/EU member state.

3. This residence can be indefinite such as what you have or can be limited.

4. The permits are not transferable across states i.e a UK residence permit does not give you any residence rights in say France.

5. However some countries especially those in the Schengen Group allow a third country national legally resident in one if its consituent countries and thus having a residence permit to visit another country without applying for a visa. E.g. an Indian National working in Germany has German Residence Permit - he can visit France using his GRP without having to apply for a French visa. However he must apply for a visa if he is going to work or live in France unless its under the Van Der Elst system but thats one for another day.

6. Their primary purpose (RP's) is to ensure that immigration status documents are in a standard format across the EEA/EU - at the moment each country has their own type of stamp, vignette, residence card etc. This makes it easy for forgeries especially with stamps. It is also confusing because a stamp does not always state your work or lack of entitlement. This is why the UK has introduced a resident permit - nice violet colour with your photo on it.

7. Think of it as similar to the ICAO passport system - most countries issue passports in a B5 size booklet and are machine readable. Eventually they will all have a biometric fingerprint, iris scan etc.

8. If you want freedom of movement across the EEA/EU apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen and get a British Passport.

Hope that helps

tt

Post by tt » Thu May 13, 2004 9:04 pm

So is it in fact right that the ILR sticker, and the renewed ILR stickers in new passports, are in fact considered to be Residence Permits under EU law now? That's how I've understood it, and had it explained to me...

(.. and is that why the IOs on entry are trying to stop the practice of stamping ILEs into new passports?).

tdabash

Post by tdabash » Thu May 13, 2004 11:09 pm

tt

I do not understand the essence of your comment :roll: .

Kayalami

Thank you :) ,
I have learned something new today.

tt

Post by tt » Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm

I'm thinking of getting a ILR sticker in my new passport (I have the query in another thread), and Britain has introduced this new Form NTL procedure and fee in order to approximate to new EU standards regarding Resident Permits which many don't like.
In those regulations, the ILR sticker is effectively referred to as a Resident Permit (not directly referred to). And Britain has polished up its Resident Permit stickers format.
So in order to keep to the EU regs, they might be phasing out the ILE stamps in new passports. Which I hope they're not. (See my query).
The British Residence Permit can apparently be short-term, long-term or indefinite.
I'm assuming the ILR sticker is the same thing as (or parallel to) the indefinite Residence Permit..
..or is this a new category? Superfluous? Or being phased in to take over the old ILR system? :?: :evil:

tdabash

Post by tdabash » Fri May 14, 2004 4:56 pm

tt

Do not think too much. If I am in your position, I would send my old passport, the new pasport, the form with a cheque or credit card payment for £155.
Great Britain is giving you status and home. You will be British in the future :) .

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri May 14, 2004 5:26 pm

tt wrote,
I'm assuming the ILR sticker is the same thing as (or parallel to) the indefinite Residence Permit..
..or is this a new category? Superfluous? Or being phased in to take over the old ILR system?
With all due respect the issue of sticker transfer has been covered in some detail in your previous post and I believe we are now going round in circles. To summarise

1. You don't have to get a new ILR sticker in a new passport but it makes life easier for administrative tasks that require evidence of your immigration status in a valid/ non expired document.

2. Lack of a stamp/ failure to transfer a stamp has no bearing on your ILR - a prolonged absence from the UK does.

Moving on to the practicalities:

Proof of immigration status has historically been stamp based. For security reasons this has moved to stickers/ vignettes. It started off with visas issued abroad and now to any further leave to remain granted by the Home Office be it limited or indefinite.

The first ILR sticker is a green vignette with a handwritten signature of the issuing officer of size approximatley 70 x 50 mm = about half of a page in a standard B5 size passport.

The new ILR sticker is a combination of colours - blue/ violet, red, green with a photo of the bearer on the Left Hand Side on top of which (photo) is a silver embossment. It is approximatley 105 x 75 mm = about a page in a standard B5 size passport.

Anybody granted FLR/ ILR should get the new type sticker which says on the top " RESIDENCE PERMIT" with an accompanying serial number then

Name = Mr A

Valid Until = Dates for limited leave or "Indefinite"

Place, Date of Issue = Croydon, Liverpool etc and date.

Type of Permit = Limited/ Indefinite

Remarks = No recourse to public funds, register with police, employment prohibited etc.

In other words it mirrors the visa/ EC issued at British Diplomatic Posts which cover your period of stay in the UK and act as de facto 'residence permits' until you apply for FLR be it an extension or change of status when you will get the 'new type' RP sticker.

Hope that helps and do all have a 'sticker free'/good weekend.

tt

Post by tt » Fri May 14, 2004 9:50 pm

Kayalami. So what distinguishes a ILR sticker from a British Residence Permit, these days?....

tt

Post by tt » Mon May 17, 2004 9:49 pm

Sorry - the point here is that zimbo, the original questioner, tried to make a distinction between the EU Resident Permit (be it limited or indefinite) and the ILR status (as represented (nowadays) by the new ILR sticker as described by you above). And as far as I am concerned, using common sense - this is the same thing, actually. Am I wrong? :?