ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization By Association For Minors

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

9jeirean

Naturalization By Association For Minors

Post by 9jeirean » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:44 pm

Hi all,

Just got some info from a colleague today about the possibility of naturilization for non Irish minors who are siblings of an Irish minor (without the need for the parent to naturalize first) via the form 9 option

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/FM07000167

I was a bit unconvinced at first but after going through the attached info leaflet:
Section 16(2) defines Irish associations as meaning ‘related by blood affinity or adoption to a person who is an Irish citizen’.
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Form%201 ... 200209.pdf

Has anyone successfully applied for a minor through this route? Will appreciate thoughts and experiences please

9j

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:42 am

It is a shame that the non-Irish minor child cannot benefit from their Irish sibling if they are living overseas. This law only applies to non-national and national siblings living in the Irish free state, or the 6 counties
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:22 am

Does it mean that I can apply for my non Irish child on the basis of being the sibling of my second child (an Irish citizen by birth)? They are both living with me here in Ireland. I've always thought I can only apply for my non Irish child after I naturalize.

If this is possible, does it have any advantage in comparison to application made on foot of my own naturalization

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:39 am

Yes you can.

Also it is a much quicker process and the minister can waive one or more of the rules applied to other naturalisation category.
The Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform has power to waive one or more of the conditions for naturalisation in the following circumstances:

* If you are of Irish descent or of Irish associations or are a parent or guardian applying on behalf of a minor child of Irish descent or Irish associations

* If you have an entitlement to Irish citizenship if you were born on the island of Ireland

* If you are a naturalised parent applying on behalf of a minor child

* If you are the spouse of an Irish citizen or a naturalised person

* If you have been resident abroad in the public service

* If you are recognised as a refugee (under the 1951 Geneva Convention relating to the Status of Refugees) or a stateless person (under the 1954 UN Convention regarding Stateless Persons).
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:56 am

I would be interested to hear from others who have had first hand experience of doing this.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:21 pm

benifa wrote:I would be interested to hear from others who have had first hand experience of doing this.
I would too. I am sending in the application for my child anyway. Worst case they'll not accept it. Someone told me they heard (not substanciated though) from somewhere that INIS is planning ammendments to remove the provison for association with a minor sibbling effective this Friday 28th Agust 09.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:28 pm

9jeirean wrote:Someone told me they heard (not substanciated though) from somewhere that INIS is planning ammendments to remove the provison for association with a minor sibbling effective this Friday 28th Agust 09.
Better send it today then, Express Post!
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:34 pm

benifa wrote:
9jeirean wrote:Someone told me they heard (not substanciated though) from somewhere that INIS is planning ammendments to remove the provison for association with a minor sibbling effective this Friday 28th Agust 09.

Done! Fingers crossed

elkocelo
Newly Registered

Naturalizatio

Post by elkocelo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:41 pm

9jeirean wrote:
benifa wrote:

Done! Fingers crossed
Hi 9jeiran.
I'm in the same situation like you. I would like to know what happen to your application? Please let us know.
Thanks

9jeirean

Re: Naturalizatio

Post by 9jeirean » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:23 am

elkocelo wrote:
9jeirean wrote:
benifa wrote:

Done! Fingers crossed
Hi 9jeiran.
I'm in the same situation like you. I would like to know what happen to your application? Please let us know.
Thanks
Hi elkocelo,

Have you sent in your application too. It's been 4 weeks and counting since I sent in the application and no word yet. Fingers crossed

9j
What lies behind us and ahead of us is nothing compared to what lies within us

TRV

Post by TRV » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:35 am

in any case, would the non irish born child, sibling of irish born child should be here in ireland for three years?

what is the age limit for the siblings to avail this rule?

is there a restriction on whether the sibling is irish born irish citizen or naturalised irish citizen?

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:45 am

TRV wrote:in any case, would the non irish born child, sibling of irish born child should be here in ireland for three years?

what is the age limit for the siblings to avail this rule?

is there a restriction on whether the sibling is irish born irish citizen or naturalised irish citizen?
No not necesarily ( As I understand it). You do however need to show evidence that the child has been resident with you legally for their puported residency period (letter from Dep of Social welfare re the child's Childbebefirt Paymnt would suffice).

In relation to age limit, It's not explicit in the details posted on INIS website. One can assume that normal legal stance re minor i.e 18 years would apply

See details here:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Form%201 ... 200209.pdf

elkocelo
Newly Registered

Post by elkocelo » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:57 pm

Hi elkocelo,

Have you sent in your application too. It's been 4 weeks and counting since I sent in the application and no word yet. Fingers crossed

9j[/quote]

hI 9j
I haven't sent it yet. I must do a certified translation of my kid's birth cert first. Hopefully I will send it by Wednesday.
Thanks for your answer.
PS: A friend in a same situation told me yesterday that she applied weeks ago and got satisfaction. Her child now has an irish passport. I couldn't verify this information as we were not in her house . But I trust this friend. Anyway, a.s.a. I see this pass, I'll let you know.

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:09 am

Thanks elkocelo. Do you know how long it took your friend to get an approval?

El shaddai
Member of Standing

Post by El shaddai » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:06 pm

just sent my own application today and i was wondering how long they gonna get back to me. can anybody tell?

inzar
Newly Registered

Post by inzar » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:48 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have also sent in an application after reading this post, I sent the application last Tuesday and got a response confiming that application has been received and we are processing it.

Elkocelo did you got a confirmation from your friend , is that really true that their child recieved the passport based on this criteria and HOW LONG DID IT TOOK?

thx