ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Childrens Allowance

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ciaramc

Childrens Allowance

Post by ciaramc » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:23 pm

Right so quick question- I have read on the welfare.ie website regarding Childrens allowance - If your working in the EU you are entitled to collect CB once the country your living in is not also paying it.

Now in Italy there is no social welfare and when your unemployed thats it no dole etc.....I have worked in Italy since 2002 but will not be entitled to maternity benefit with my current contract! So Am I entitled to claim CB or can I only do it if I'm resident in Ireland?

Child Benefit and EU Regulations
EU/EEA citizens and Swiss nationals working in Ireland, satisfy the habitual residence condition for Child Benefit.

If you are an EU/EEA citizen or a Swiss national and work in a country covered by EU Regulations, the country you work in usually pays Child Benefit even if your family is living in another country. However, if your children are living in another EU/EEA country you should still apply for any Family Benefits you are entitled to there.

If the Family Benefit you get in the country your children are living is less than the Child Benefit payment here, your Irish Child Benefit payment will make up the difference. For more information on how EU rules affect Child Benefit, contact the Child Benefit Section (see 'Where to apply' below).

Countries covered by EU Regulations are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom (excluding the Channel Islands).

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi,
in order for you to qualify for irish CB, one of your family members (EU national) should be working in ireland.
a polish example. a polish person is working in ireland but his wife and kids are back in poland. his kids are entitled to polish child benefit. he can also claim the difference in CB from ireland because he is working in ireland. if polish person goes back to poland, he is not entitled to irish CB any more.
the fact that you are irish, your child is irish but you are living and working in italy does not qualify you for irish CB.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:36 pm

Thanks for that but still don't get it? So the fact that i work in europe means I'm not entitled to anything? Even if my job is say diplomatic and I know the Irish government receive something (some sort of tax) on my behalf?

I'm confused by it all....I plan to go back to work after 3 months.....but I feel with all I have paid ove rthe years I must be entitled to something.....??? I had emailed welfare.ie but surprise surprise no reply!

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:59 pm

you are entitled to maternity benefit and child benefit from the country where you live and work. if you are unfortunate enough to work and live in the country where such payments do not exist or are very small, there is nothing you can do.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:09 pm

As I've already stated.....there are no maternity benefits/child benefits in this coutry!

But thanks anyway!

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:24 pm

if your job is diplomatic, then your wages are paid by your own country even if you are living abroad as you would be representing your country. you would pay your taxes in your country of origin and therefore, you would be entitled to any social welfare payments (CB, MB, annual leave) as in the country of origin.
however, in this situation i doubt that you belong to this category. therefore, you work in italy and get any social welfare payments as anyone else working in italy. CB and MB are paid from the local taxes and are not controlled by the EU. It's an individual country's business how they distribute their budget.
sorry you will experience financial loss due to your pregnancy, but hopefully italy has something else to offer instead (like maybe a cheaper childcare than in ireland or better healthcare).

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:27 am

Agniukas, hold on a minute i don't pay taxes in Italy and you don't even know what my job is!! I certainly am not entitled to anything in Italy as i have not paid taxes here since 2006 before that yes I did and was entitled to things....now I'm afraid I'm not! I'm not employed by the Irish Government if it was that simple I wouldn't have asked the question!

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:17 pm

have you tried contacting citizens information in relation to your query? they are very good and they would probably be able to advise you on your special circumstances.
Child Benefit and EU Regulations
EU/EEA citizens and Swiss nationals working in Ireland, satisfy the habitual residence condition for Child Benefit.
however, the information on the website states that you have to be working in ireland...
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... ld_benefit

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:28 pm

Hi Ciara,

Unless there is an exception for those working in Irish diplomatic posts overseas, the rules applicable to Child Benefit in Ireland state that you must be habitually resident in the State, in order to qualify.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:34 pm

thanks Ben that's what I wanted to know!