ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

The Third Level Graduate Scheme and non-EEA students

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dan01
Newly Registered

The Third Level Graduate Scheme and non-EEA students

Post by Dan01 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:51 am

*Third Level Graduate Scheme*
The purpose of this Scheme is to allow legally resident non-EEA third level graduates to remain in Ireland for the purpose of seeking employment and applying for a Green Card or Work Permit.
Persons who qualify under this scheme will be granted one non-renewable extension to their current student permission (Stamp 2) for a six month period starting on the date upon which the person receives their exam results. The purpose of the permission to remain under this Scheme is to seek employment and gain a Green Card or Work Permit.
during the six month period the person shall be allowed to work for up to 40 hours per week without an employment permit.
What are the chances of a non-EEA grad actually attaining employment within six months? Employment that qualifies for either a work permit or green card? If it's a work permit, then the employer must prove that no EU/EEA individuals were as qualified (or there wasn't any interest from others), correct?

Theoretically, what chance of success would a grad with a Masters in a narrow field (Medieval Irish History, for example) have of getting a work permit within six months? I'm from Canada and won't even attempt to study in Ireland until I've got my Bachelors. Fortunately, some Masters programs in Ireland are only one year in duration. Four years of school in Ireland would leave me penniless. :)

I'm not interested in studying in Ireland for the sake of studying in Ireland. I'm not interested in hanging around for a year or two then leaving. I want to pursue my passion and field of study in Ireland and make a life for myself there in the field of research and scholarship.

Any input or advice? Is there any way to find out how many non-EEA grads have qualified for a work permit or green card through this Graduate Scheme?

sideshowsue

Post by sideshowsue » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:43 am

Theoretically, what chance of success would a grad with a Masters in a narrow field (Medieval Irish History, for example) have of getting a work permit within six months?
Under the current economic conditions, slim to none.

Dan01
Newly Registered

Post by Dan01 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:25 am

sideshowsue wrote:
Theoretically, what chance of success would a grad with a Masters in a narrow field (Medieval Irish History, for example) have of getting a work permit within six months?
You think so? Hmm. I suppose one nice perk about this Graduate Scheme is that no work permit is required during that six month period. In other words, theoretically one could get hired by an employer on day one of the six month period (if they're fortunate enough to have that happen). Then it becomes an issue of trying to get that employer to go beyond having them just as a short term employee. It becomes an issue of trying to get them to keep you on for the long term. The prospective employee can get the paperwork ready. They pay the work permit fee. Basically you have those a maximum of six months to show an employer you are worth keeping on for the long term. The biggest stumbling block for someone from outside the EU and EEA is when the employer must 'prove' no one suitable from the EU, Switzerland, Romania or Bulgaria was able to do the job.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:42 am

Dan01 wrote:
sideshowsue wrote:
You think so? Hmm. I suppose one nice perk about this Graduate Scheme is that no work permit is required during that six month period. In other words, theoretically one could get hired by an employer on day one of the six month period (if they're fortunate enough to have that happen). Then it becomes an issue of trying to get that employer to go beyond having them just as a short term employee. It becomes an issue of trying to get them to keep you on for the long term. The prospective employee can get the paperwork ready. They pay the work permit fee. Basically you have those a maximum of six months to show an employer you are worth keeping on for the long term. The biggest stumbling block for someone from outside the EU and EEA is when the employer must 'prove' no one suitable from the EU, Switzerland, Romania or Bulgaria was able to do the job.
You can try it but i doubt that any company will take a non-EU citizen on right now unless they have the relevant work visa beforehand. I don't mean short term stint like you say initially, but i wouldn't build your hopes up too much regarding them paying for your work permit afterwards etc.

Dan01
Newly Registered

Post by Dan01 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:35 am

No, but the good thing about the work permit (and green card) is that either the employer or the prospective employee can apply for it. And the same goes for the fee. Before, only the employer could apply for it. I could pay the fee and get all the paperwork together. That'd be no hassle. The hassle is overcoming competition from those in the EU & EEA.

I'd like to think that with the right qualifications and enough passion and determination, anyone can land a work permit or green card. That at the end of the day, it doesn't matter where you happen to be from or which country's name is on your passport. But I know it's not that straightforward. That's why I'm trying to be realistic about all this.

My goal is to attain my Bachelor's in Canada and go on to a MA at an Irish university. Irish departments are literally full of non-Irish peole, but most are from the EU (Germans etc).

kazinirl

Post by kazinirl » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:33 am

Dan01 wrote:No, but the good thing about the work permit (and green card) is that either the employer or the prospective employee can apply for it. And the same goes for the fee. Before, only the employer could apply for it. I could pay the fee and get all the paperwork together. That'd be no hassle. The hassle is overcoming competition from those in the EU & EEA.

I'd like to think that with the right qualifications and enough passion and determination, anyone can land a work permit or green card. That at the end of the day, it doesn't matter where you happen to be from or which country's name is on your passport. But I know it's not that straightforward. That's why I'm trying to be realistic about all this.

My goal is to attain my Bachelor's in Canada and go on to a MA at an Irish university. Irish departments are literally full of non-Irish peole, but most are from the EU (Germans etc).

Hi Dan01,

It's good to have a positive outlook for your future, and I totally understand what you are saying. I think this scheme would have been a good advantage for non-EEA students until about 2years ago, but in reality, there are so many well educated, highly skilled and experienced workers who have lost their jobs, and they are struggling to get new job even though they already have a workpermit/green card or LTR/Citizenship.
Also there are a lot of Irish third-level graduates who have gone to other countries to look for a job because of the recession.
So, it seems very hard for non-EEA third level graduates to get a job despite of the scheme.

I hope by the time when you complete your education, Irish economy will get better and the scheme will be still on.

Good luck