ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

janakrb
Newly Registered

HCI London - OCI application

Post by janakrb » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:15 pm

Hi,

I understand that people applying for OCI at the London High Commission are supposed to fill out an online application form. I am having a hard time locating this online form. The HCI website provides the following link but that page doesn't have the form. http://mha.nic.in/uniquepage.asp?Id_Pk=553

Has the form been taken offline recently or am I just not seeing it?

JB

Friend

Re: HCI London - OCI application

Post by Friend » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:38 pm

janakrb wrote:Hi,

I understand that people applying for OCI at the London High Commission are supposed to fill out an online application form. I am having a hard time locating this online form. The HCI website provides the following link but that page doesn't have the form. http://mha.nic.in/uniquepage.asp?Id_Pk=553

Has the form been taken offline recently or am I just not seeing it?

JB
Click on this - better open in IE.

https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIRegistrationG.jsp

SidB

Post by SidB » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:29 pm

I'm due to get my UK passport soon and wish to apply for OCI asap to have it in time for my next trip to India. I have a few questions - can someone please help?

1. Cancellation of existing passport: Can you get your existing indian passport cancelled as part of the OCI application? If so, is there a separate application form to fill in or do you just drop your passport with the OCI app? There is no mention of this service on the High commission site?

2. The HCI site says the following two docs are also required. Are these required if I am submitting by Indian passport with it?

Birth certificate from Indian Municipality or from Panchayat and full version birth certificate from Registrar of Births/Local Borough in case born in UK. For any other foreign-born applicant birth certificate must be in full version and it has to be translated in Hindi/English by Reputed and Registered translation authority.

School leaving certificate, at least Secondary School onwards from required Board.

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

OCI application

Post by RAJ2007 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:38 am

Has anyone been recently granted their OCI status? How long did it took from the date of application ( at HCI London). Do they take the British passport also when the initial application is made?

After the application is granted, how many weeks more does HCI takes to put the stamp in the British passport?

llNicell

Re: OCI application

Post by llNicell » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:48 pm

RAJ2007 wrote:Has anyone been recently granted their OCI status? How long did it took from the date of application ( at HCI London). Do they take the British passport also when the initial application is made?

After the application is granted, how many weeks more does HCI takes to put the stamp in the British passport?
Last week, one of my friends has received OCI in 3 weeks time from date of application submission (submitted personally). I understand, you need to submit only copies of your British & Indian passport & photos with OCI application. Once it is approved, you need to take British passport to Indian High comm. office for stamping & passport can be collected same day.

I am due to apply for OCI in Mid August 2009 and collecting more information

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:19 am

llNicell,

are you sure it was OCI application? I enquired at HCI London and they told me that it takes 8 weeks and even this forum members are saying it takes 8 weeks on an average.

HCI told me that PIO takes three weeks.

I am not sure why for when this forum members saying that it is taking too long to get OCI.

llNicell

Post by llNicell » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:47 pm

RAJ2007 wrote:llNicell,

are you sure it was OCI application? I enquired at HCI London and they told me that it takes 8 weeks and even this forum members are saying it takes 8 weeks on an average.

HCI told me that PIO takes three weeks.

I am not sure why for when this forum members saying that it is taking too long to get OCI.
Yes..I am sure his OCI was approved in 3weeks. Total door to door OCI turnaround time was 5 weeks.

llNicell

Post by llNicell » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:01 pm

I am applying for OCI in next week. Could anyone be kind enough to advice size & total number of photos required? Is it necessary to have 35x35mm? Can I submit std UK style photos. I understand for Indian visa, UK style photos are accepted by VFS so why not for OCI? Your advice would be appreciated.

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:22 pm

llNicell,

I believe you yourself was holding Indian passport before obtaining British passport. Is it so?

Could you please give an update on the process time of your application after you make the application.

Since I will be applying for my son's OCI (he himself used to hold Indian passport which was issued from HCI London) in a month's time, I would appreciate if you could let me/others know your experince with the whole process.

llNicell

Post by llNicell » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:10 pm

I believe you yourself was holding Indian passport before obtaining British passport. Is it so?

Could you please give an update on the process time of your application after you make the application.

Since I will be applying for my son's OCI (he himself used to hold Indian passport which was issued from HCI London) in a month's time, I would appreciate if you could let me/others know your experince with the whole process.
My time line

NCS or Postal: NCS Hatfield
Date of submission or posting: 9th June 2009
CRITERIA: 5 + 1 year on ILR
Date of debit of debit/credit card: 12th June 2009
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: 16th June 2009
Date of receipt of approval: 29th June 2009
Invitation Letter: received 3rd July 2009
Date of Ceremony: 20th July 2009
Date of appln. for passport: 22nd July 2009
Interview for Passport : 6th August 2009
Passport received: expected on 12th August 2009

Turn around about 8 -9 weeks from the date of naturalisation application.

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:51 am

llNicell,

I was talking about your OCI application not BC process. After you apply for OCI please update the forum about the processing time.

llNicell

Post by llNicell » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:35 pm

I was talking about your OCI application not BC process. After you apply for OCI please update the forum about the processing time.
I submitted family OCI application on 12th August. Submission was very smooth. No questions were asked at window. I submitted photocopies of passports, 4 photos & a proof of UK residence. I reached about 9.00 am and was out at 12.30pm.

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:22 pm

Thanks llNicell for the update.

Did they tell you when do you expect to get OCI?

SidB

Post by SidB » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:55 pm

Hi,

Has anyone recently applied for OCI by post in London? If so, could you please advise:

1.Which address did you send it to? I know the consulate address but is there any particular department/po box etc you need to address it to?

2. Do you send your current valid Indian passport in the OCI application for cancellation? I saw a mention in the forum that if you send your current passport, HCI cancels and return it as part of the OCI app. Is that correct and true for postal applications as well?

Will appreciate any advise.

Many thanks

SidB

Post by SidB » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:15 pm

SidB wrote:Hi,

Has anyone recently applied for OCI by post in London? If so, could you please advise:

1.Which address did you send it to? I know the consulate address but is there any particular department/po box etc you need to address it to?

2. Do you send your current valid Indian passport in the OCI application for cancellation? I saw a mention in the forum that if you send your current passport, HCI cancels and return it as part of the OCI app. Is that correct and true for postal applications as well?

Many thanks
Anyone? Any advise?

chakku71

oci the caveats

Post by chakku71 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:05 am

Hi everyone who already have an OCI or is ready to apply for one,

Every one seems to say that the rights of an OCI is similar to an NRI and it would appear that there is a lot to gain and nothing to loose by acquiring British Citizenship. But there are a lot of caveats to it and I simply wanted to inform the forum about it. This only applies to people who may eventually go back to their native place (mine is India).

Children below 18 years are not allowed to renounce BC. So if there is a possibility of the child to pursue education in India, then their prospects are severely undermined. NRI/OCI can only apply to the NRI quota and would be excluded from certain institutions. As an NRI but if you wanted to educate your child in India, the child will loose its NRI status in an year and would be able to apply to any educational institution as a resident.

The prospects of UK citizens with an Indian matriculation/graduation or post-graduate degree is poor as no university will be keen to admit him/her as they invite local rather than international tuition fee.

Now there is a possibility of voting rights to be extended to the OCI's. However, everyone who are applying for an OCI needs a reality check before the big leap.

I would like to get the forums thoughts on this matter please.

Thanks
BB

yousun
Newly Registered

Post by yousun » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I am interested in applying for either the OCI or POI. But not really sure which one to apply for, and more importantly If me and my family are even entitled to the above.

There is so much information, that I just need someone to explain it more simply for me.

My late Grandfather was born in India, I dont think I have any proof of this, except the fact that on his British Passport it says that he was born in India.

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:50 pm

Yes, you are right. This information is hiding somewhere (may be they do not want many people to apply by post)

a)address is :
OCI Cell - High Commission of India
India House
Aldwych
London
WC2B 4NA

b) Yes, that is true. Send your old passport in original, and they will put the cancel stamp cut the corners and return to you by ordinary post. Include a special delivery envelope if you want it guaranteed.
SidB wrote:
SidB wrote:Hi,

Many thanks
Anyone? Any advise?

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:22 pm

I came to know from www.hcilondon.net website that from last week in order to apply for PIO or OCI one needs to surrender his/her valid Indian passport and then the Indian High Commission will issue a surrender certificate within a week. Until you get the surrender certificate one can’t apply for OCI or PIO.

However nothing mentioned about the procedure, like any form or fees involved in it. I tried to contact them but unfortunately no one is available on the phone.

Has anyone surrender their passport (in the last week)? If so, could you please explain the process?

rakh

Post by rakh » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:13 pm

RAJ2007 wrote:I came to know from www.hcilondon.net website that from last week in order to apply for PIO or OCI one needs to surrender his/her valid Indian passport and then the Indian High Commission will issue a surrender certificate within a week. Until you get the surrender certificate one can’t apply for OCI or PIO.

However nothing mentioned about the procedure, like any form or fees involved in it. I tried to contact them but unfortunately no one is available on the phone.

Has anyone surrender their passport (in the last week)? If so, could you please explain the process?
HI
please could you tell where you have seen this new change on website?. I am not able to see any such thing. i am planning to apply OCI soon. My friend applied couple of months back and he simply sent his Indian passport with the OCI application(by post) and they cancelled and returned the Indian passport

peejay

OCI

Post by peejay » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:33 pm

http://hcilondon.in/notice.php mentions about certificate but nothing about surrender certificate before oci application.

Has anyone applied recently for OCI? I want to know the timescale please.

rakh

Re: OCI

Post by rakh » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:52 pm

peejay wrote:http://hcilondon.in/notice.php mentions about certificate but nothing about surrender certificate before oci application.

Has anyone applied recently for OCI? I want to know the timescale please.
hi
Can i ask when this notice came, the reason i am asking is i just spoke to my friend and he told that he has sent his Indian passport along with OCI application and then got back his cancelled his Indian passport with no extra cost

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:39 pm

peejay,

the first line of the 2nd paragraph of the notice mentions that (though didn't mention the word 'before PIO/OCI appl'). I have spoken to HCI and they told that it has started only from 21st sept 09. but the funny thing is that the appl form for surrendering passport is not on the website yet. though i am not surprised that's how hci works. therefore to surrender the passport you need to go in person, which is ridiculous. it takes a week for them to issue surrender certificate. in fact in order to apply for visit visa (if you are british but previously held indian pssport) you need to surrender the previous indian passport first and for surrendering you need to pay £90.

tomkin

Post by tomkin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:54 am

RAJ2007 wrote:peejay,

the first line of the 2nd paragraph of the notice mentions that (though didn't mention the word 'before PIO/OCI appl'). I have spoken to HCI and they told that it has started only from 21st sept 09. but the funny thing is that the appl form for surrendering passport is not on the website yet. though i am not surprised that's how hci works. therefore to surrender the passport you need to go in person, which is ridiculous. it takes a week for them to issue surrender certificate. in fact in order to apply for visit visa (if you are british but previously held indian pssport) you need to surrender the previous indian passport first and for surrendering you need to pay £90.
What if you say you have lost your passport and show a report from local police here ? Will they still charge 90 quid?

msbabu
Newly Registered

Post by msbabu » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:47 am

Hi i applied for OCI on 4th September recieved by HCI on 7th September, so far i have not recd any acknowledgement and the online status enquiry shows, application not ackowleged yet.... any ideas if this is a normal situation or should i have to pursue with hci regarding the status.. tried calling no one answers the phone,, pls advise what to do or just wait till they do something