ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:13 pm

Basis
Yes I agree with 747; you should contact to local council by telephone now while you are out of the country. According to the rules, they (the local Council) have the right to grant you a 3-month extension because you are out of the country. Agree with them on a date for a private ceremony that coincides when you are back here in the UK and don't even think about reapplying, which will be a much bigger hassle.
Joseph

basis

Post by basis » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:26 am

I tried calling them. But the lady who handles the citizenship ceremony was either away from the desk or on the phone. So I could not get thru to them.

Now I am reaching UK tomorrow. I have untill 8th - let's hope I get an emergancy pvt ceremony arranged or an extension. I have doctor's certificate stating that being sick for last three weeks I was unable to fly (which by the way IS a FACT). Hope I get an extension or urgen pvt ceremony.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:37 pm

is i thought the ceremony is free or is is it free and costs for a private ceremony?

can one have the citizenship ceremony on a weekened or do i need to take out 1.2 a day out of a weekday?

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:06 pm

rogerroger wrote:is i thought the ceremony is free or is is it free and costs for a private ceremony?

can one have the citizenship ceremony on a weekened or do i need to take out 1.2 a day out of a weekday?
The application fee includes an element of £68 which covers the cost of participation in a "routine" ceremony. (This is the amount that the fees leaflet explains is refunded in the event of a naturalisation (etc) application being refused).

Unless you have a 24/7 local authority, I think you'll have to take time out during the week. But you could always ask them....

paul

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:03 pm

thanks for the reply paul

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:22 am

basis
I still think the local authority can sort it out if you can actually talk to them. The fact that they have not been able to provide a public ceremony that coincides with you being in the country in the last 3 months, is a good reason for getting an extension. I don't think it is absolutely necessary to have a private ceremony before tomorrow: but they will be able to tell you for sure.

For the reasons outlined before (i.e. travel, illness) they (the council and not only the Home Office) has the power to grant the extension. After all, the council still has the certificate and they can decide to keep it for another 3 months (instead of returning to the Home Office) if they see fit.

But you need to talk to them today or tommorow without fail. If you can't talk to the person who handles the ceremonies, you need to talk to the top person in the registry office and explain the situation.

Joseph

basis

Post by basis » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:03 pm

Just called the lady - wasn't very positive response -

She said the arranging pvt ceremony at such short notice wont be possible and as far as her knowledge goes all extensions are through home office.

basis

Post by basis » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:05 pm

finguers crossed. I would get a call tomorrow - either to get an urgent pvt ceremony at 110 GBP OR may be I would be accommodated in the next general ceremnony (which is on Thursday) after speaking to HO. Nothing guranteed though.

yorkking

hi

Post by yorkking » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:58 pm

My council - north yorkshire - told me that the fees are around £300. I spoke to my local Councillor asked pointed out to her how another council int he same area west yorkshire charges £36. So, she spoke ot them and sorted it out. The fee was around £37.50 equivalent to a marriage regn. charge.
How come they are charging £110?
I wish you could site precedences of fees in other areas and argue!!!

basis

Post by basis » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:41 am

I have been asked the ceremony on a regular day in the week with no extra cost.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:28 am

Basis, that is good news .... regular ceremony on Thursday this week?

A good tip for others .... don't put yourself through this! Try to get your Citizenship Ceremony done as soon as possible.
John

basis

Post by basis » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:32 am

Very true John.

Now the next tricky situation - I need to travel on Friday / Monday for a week's time to Europe. And then I would be required to consistently travel. How can I do that if my ILR gets cancelled ?

yorkking

hi

Post by yorkking » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:37 am

i applied for my passport on sat 28/10 in person and i got the passport delivered to me on tuesday 01/11/05.
you may apply for passport on the same day of your ceremony and you could get it in no time.
if u dont apply in person for a passport, u may need to part with your current non-uk passport for some days when u apply for the uk passport.
if u apply in person, they take the naturalisation certificate only and return u the original non-uk passport.
yk

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:57 am

How can I do that if my ILR gets cancelled ?
No mark will be put on to your ILR! So no problem when you return to the UK. Presumably you already have any visa you need to travel to Europe?

Or as Yorkking says, rush to get your British passport rapidly after you get your hands on the Naturalisation Certificate. Have you substantial completed the passport application form already? Got it and pic countersigned? It seems to me that you can probably complete all the passport application form now, except the number of your Naturalisation Certificate.
John

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:00 am

One more thing to bear in mind is whether your original country allows dual nationality. If not, your old passport becomes invalid as soon as you take the oath and is technically not a valid document to travel on.
This is certainly the case for Indian passports for example.

basis

Post by basis » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:36 pm

Got UKPA form - filled in everything but the regn number. Tomorrow I'll get it and a photo countersigned. Got an apptmt with London Passport Office for Friday a.m. for a guaranteed one week service. The guy said it could take much less than that. Thanks everyone for advice. Now waiting for Indian Overceas Citizenship to kick off. Please see the sticky for the latest.

basis

Post by basis » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:47 pm

attended the ceremony (quite unceremonious - tea, buscuites and few boring read out speeches). But one formality done away with. Went to London Passport office and filed the one week fast track application. Have been told the passport should be receieved in no later than next Friday.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:56 pm

Congratulations, Basis ... a British Citizen! Hope you get the passport soon.
John

basis

Post by basis » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:02 pm

Thanks John - Your and other senior members' contribution has helped many of us to get to the stages of ILR and BC.

coolguy_uk
Newly Registered

Fast Track Passport application

Post by coolguy_uk » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:01 pm

Do I need to submit current passport if I apply for fast track (first time) passport ?

UKPA says I need to but posts on this forum say other wise.

Can some clarify for me please.

Thanks in advance.

basis

Post by basis » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:07 pm

Yes. You have to. They kept my current Indian passport. But it will be returned soon by spl dlv.

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:22 pm

Yes you do. I used the fast track service and they asked for and kept my unexpired passport and naturalisation certificate. These came along with the new UK passport ( I had elected to receive them by secure delivery).

By the way, the 1 week fast track actually got turned around in a day. I submitted the form on Thursday and got the passport on Friday.

basis

Post by basis » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:25 pm

wow fantastic. I hope same happens in my case as well.

coolguy_uk
Newly Registered

Thanks

Post by coolguy_uk » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:32 pm

Thanks for your info basis and lemess.
Really appreciate it.

Basis could you let us know how long it takes you to get your passport..

Thanks in advance

ppron747
inactive

Re: Fast Track Passport application

Post by ppron747 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:30 pm

coolguy_uk wrote:Do I need to submit current passport if I apply for fast track (first time) passport ?

UKPA says I need to but posts on this forum say other wise.

Can some clarify for me please.
Given that the UKPS are the ones who will be issuing the passport, I think their advice probably takes precedence! :wink:
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....