ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 or Tier 5 ?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

guruasis12345
Newly Registered

Tier 1 or Tier 5 ?

Post by guruasis12345 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:43 pm

I am having an offer (sponsorship letter) on 1 year Tier 5 (Government Authorized Exchange) work visa from an employer (highly desirable if you ask me!!Confused ) but wish to apply for Tier 1 (for it being valid till 3 years). So my question is will it legally be possible to apply for Tier 5 first and then immediately(say after 10 days) I apply for Tier 1? I have been told that they will cancel my Tier 5 in that case but with I also loose the opportunity of being part of this exchange program (which unfortunately only allow me to come on Tier 5 not Tier 1 for obvious reasons of having a short-cross-border-experience and not to settle-down)?
Last edited by guruasis12345 on Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Re: Tier 1 or Tier 5 ?

Post by cheshiregoan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:28 pm

guruasis12345 wrote:I am having an offer (sponsorship letter) on 1 year Tier 5 (Government Authorized Exchange) work visa from an employer (highly desirable if you ask me!!:? ) but wish to apply for Tier 1 (for it being valid till 3 years). So my question is will it legally be possible to apply for Tier 5 first and then immediately(say after 10 days) I apply for Tier 1? I have been told that they will cancel my Tier 5 in that case but with I also loose the opportunity of being part of this exchange program (which unfortunately only allow me to come on Tier 5 not Tier 1 for obvious reasons of having a short-cross-border-experience and not to settle-down)?
You cannot switch visas if you enter the UK under Tier 5

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/manag ... howitworks
Please do not send me any Private Messages as I do not check these.

guruasis12345
Newly Registered

Post by guruasis12345 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:43 pm

Thanks for prompt reply. I knew that you cant switch while on Tier 5, neither can you extend it after 1 year allowance while in UK. My question was that by being in my home country itself, what will be the scenario if I apply both above-said visas in succession. In other words, I want to apply for Tier 5 first, get the approval, then after a lapse of few-days apply for Tier 1 by still being in my home-country, get the approval on the same as well and then move to UK. I want to know that what will visa-officer do with my Tier 5 visa in that case (cancel it or let it be as it is and grant me Tier 1 also?).

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Re: Tier 1 or Tier 5 ?

Post by crowbar6 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:10 pm

guruasis12345 wrote:I am having an offer (sponsorship letter) on 1 year Tier 5 (Government Authorized Exchange) work visa from an employer (highly desirable if you ask me!!:? ) but wish to apply for Tier 1 (for it being valid till 3 years). So my question is will it legally be possible to apply for Tier 5 first and then immediately(say after 10 days) I apply for Tier 1? I have been told that they will cancel my Tier 5 in that case but with I also loose the opportunity of being part of this exchange program (which unfortunately only allow me to come on Tier 5 not Tier 1 for obvious reasons of having a short-cross-border-experience and not to settle-down)?
If applying outside UK, your most recent application will only be considered. Moreover, if you apply for Tier 5 first, then there is a section in Tier 1 form which asks if you have any pending applications with UKBA. You will have to specify it here so there no escaping it.
Regards,
crowbar6

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Post by cheshiregoan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:10 pm

guruasis12345 wrote:Thanks for prompt reply. I knew that you cant switch while on Tier 5, neither can you extend it after 1 year allowance while in UK. My question was that by being in my home country itself, what will be the scenario if I apply both above-said visas in succession. In other words, I want to apply for Tier 5 first, get the approval, then after a lapse of few-days apply for Tier 1 by still being in my home-country, get the approval on the same as well and then move to UK. I want to know that what will visa-officer do with my Tier 5 visa in that case (cancel it or let it be as it is and grant me Tier 1 also?).
Only the most recent visa is valid. So if you apply for Tier 1 immediately after Tier 5, the old visa (T5) will be automatically invalid.
Please do not send me any Private Messages as I do not check these.

guruasis12345
Newly Registered

Post by guruasis12345 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:16 pm

Thanks to both of you. I must appreciate one thing from heart...YOU GUYS ARE QUICK! ...I guess I have to let go such a lucrative offer under Tier 5 and go ahead with Tier 1. Just wanted to know if there will be new form for the changed rules in Tier 1 as on 1st October, 2009 (esp for people applying from outside UK)

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:52 pm

It depends where are you applying from. I mean may be you need to fill an online form (which immigration told me that they are changing all the time), print it out, sign and submit it to ECO. Or else you need to fill a PDF available form on UK visa website (please see below). Please refer to your country's UK visa managing service about how to apply:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/wheretoapply/

https://www.visainfoservices.com/Pages/Welcome.aspx

guruasis12345 wrote:Thanks to both of you. I must appreciate one thing from heart...YOU GUYS ARE QUICK! ...I guess I have to let go such a lucrative offer under Tier 5 and go ahead with Tier 1. Just wanted to know if there will be new form for the changed rules in Tier 1 as on 1st October, 2009 (esp for people applying from outside UK)