ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Transitional arrangements for earned citizenship

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

timesofindia

Post by timesofindia » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:29 pm

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/n...

---------------
The government will continue to meet its obligations to migrants who entered the United Kingdom on the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) and had a legitimate expectation that they would be able to apply for and be granted indefinite leave to remain, in accordance with the Immigration Rules that were in place when they applied to the HSMP.
---------------

Does that mean people who entered the UK on HSMP anytime.. will be eligible for ILR in 5 years? and will not need to go through all the process of earned citizenship??

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Re: Transitional arrangements for earned citizenship

Post by cheshiregoan » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:42 pm

timesofindia wrote:Transitional arrangements for earned citizenship

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/n...

---------------
The government will continue to meet its obligations to migrants who entered the United Kingdom on the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) and had a legitimate expectation that they would be able to apply for and be granted indefinite leave to remain, in accordance with the Immigration Rules that were in place when they applied to the HSMP.
---------------

Does that mean people who entered the UK on HSMP anytime.. will be eligible for ILR in 5 years? and will not need to go through all the process of earned citizenship??
Well at the moment we cannot say what the exact rules will be but after suffering legally in the Judicial Review, it is a safe assumption that the time limits and basic rules that will apply to you will be the same as when you first entered the UK.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/manag ... l-it-work/

On this link they are quite particular in mentioning that the minimum time will vary according to the route taken. So probably people covered by JR will need only 4 years, people covered by HSMP will need 5 years, and if the law changes in the future, then only from the day the rules are implemented then they will need to meet those rules.
Please do not send me any Private Messages as I do not check these.

hsmp2010

rules

Post by hsmp2010 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:07 pm

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/manag ... l-it-work/

This page explains how the Government's new earned citizenship system will work.
There will be three routes to citizenship:
Work - for highly skilled and skilled workers who are in the United Kingdom under Tiers 1 and 2 of the points-based system);
Family - for the family members of existing British citizens and permanent residents; and
Protection - for refugees and migrants who have been given humanitarian protection.
For all of these routes, there will be three clear stages which a migrant must complete.

So in bold letters one can clearly see that following rules are for Tier1 and Tier2 of points based system. and we are under scheme of HSMP not Tier 1 or Tier 2 so i am now 100% sure that we are safe enough.

timesofindia

Post by timesofindia » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:43 pm

---------
migrants who entered the United Kingdom on the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) and had a legitimate expectation that they would be able to apply for and be granted indefinite leave to remain
---------

I think it means that people on HSMP will get ILR/Permanent Residence after 5 years and not Probationary citizenship..??

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Post by cheshiregoan » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:50 pm

timesofindia wrote:---------
migrants who entered the United Kingdom on the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) and had a legitimate expectation that they would be able to apply for and be granted indefinite leave to remain
---------

I think it means that people on HSMP will get ILR/Permanent Residence after 5 years and not Probationary citizenship..??
Reading things, I think Probationary citizenship is going to be another name for ILR. See the items I have made bold below:
Stage 2 - Probationary citizenship

Following completion of the period of temporary residence migrants may apply for probationary citizenship, which is a further, time-limited stage enabling them to demonstrate their commitment to the UK, and earn the privileges of citizenship. Completion of the probationary stage allows migrants to complete their journey to British citizenship or permanent residence.

In order to qualify for probationary citizenship, applicants are expected to meet a number of requirements. For those on the work route this means they must be self-sufficient, although they will no longer be restricted to the employment for which they entered the UK. For those on the family route, this means they must demonstrate that they are self-sufficient or supported by their sponsor, and that their relationship is subsisting. For those on the protection route we expect them to show that they are still in need of protection to qualify. In addition to these requirements all groups will need to demonstrate knowledge of life in the UK or English to progress through the probationary citizenship stage. Migrants who are ineligible or fail to qualify for probationary citizenship are expected to leave the UK

We believe that committing to Britain aids integration, and that is why we want to encourage those migrants who make Britain their home to become British citizens. Probationary citizens are therefore able to apply for British citizenship after a minimum period of one year. Migrants who wish to be obtain the alternative category of permanent residence status, on the other hand, either by choice or because they are unable to become British citizens, would need to spend a minimum of three years as probationary citizens.
Please do not send me any Private Messages as I do not check these.