ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Earned Citizenship Transition

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MPH80
Respected Guru

Earned Citizenship Transition

Post by MPH80 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:30 pm

Couldn't see this posted yet - but here are the transitional arrangements for the new earned citizenship plans announced a couple of days ago:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... nts-earned

In my wife's case it looks like we can progress under the current system as she'll have her IRL and Citizenship before July 2011.

Danbrix

Post by Danbrix » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:40 am

Thank you for that MPH80.

I have been looking for this sort of info the whole night and here comes your thread.

So as I understand it, spousal visa holders who entered the UK after July 2009 will be dealt with the new system.

I returned to the UK on 15.03.2009 ... it looks like I am going to be off the hook then. :)

prettypolitical

Post by prettypolitical » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi Guys this is going to be introduced in July 2011.

"The Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act received Royal Assent on 21 July 2009. Sections 39-41 and 47-49 of Part 2 of the Act give effect to earned citizenship, [b]which we plan to introduce in July 2011[/b]. We will announce the specific date of introduction closer to the time."
???REUNITED???

Danbrix

Post by Danbrix » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:51 pm

prettypolitical wrote:Hi Guys this is going to be introduced in July 2011 ... "
That is true but people won' t be dealt by the new system if they enter the UK before July 2009 and of course meet all the other criterias. (Provided that the specific date the HO announces will be in July 2011).

Hope2007

Post by Hope2007 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:46 pm

Hi , it doesnt say that people won' t be dealt by the new system if they entered the UK before July 2009 ..

it says only 2 things ...citizenship will be introduced in July 2011

If a migrant has already been given indefinite leave to remain (also known as settlement) on the date when earned citizenship is introduced, they will automatically be considered to be a 'permanent resident'. They will not need to pay or apply for this to occur. They will be eligible to apply for British citizenship under the current rules during the first two years after earned citizenship is introduced.

If a migrant has applied for indefinite leave to remain before the date when earned citizenship is introduced, and is subsequently granted indefinite leave to remain, they will be eligible to apply for British citizenship under the current rules during the first two years after earned citizenship is introduced.

Danbrix

Post by Danbrix » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:10 pm

Hope2007 wrote:Hi , it doesnt say that people won' t be dealt by the new system if they entered the UK before July 2009 ..
Hi Hope2007, you are right it doesn't explicitly say that but from a spousal visa holder point of view, that is what it means. ie people entering the UK after July 2009 on spousal visa will be treated with the new rules. This is because there won't be enough time to make up the 2 years probation period. On the contrary, people entered before July 2009 will be able to benefit from the current rules if they meet all the other criteria.

Hope2007

Post by Hope2007 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:16 pm

thanks Danbrix ..i didnt know that ...this is not a good news for me as i was thinking to switch from wp to spoue visa FLR-M in dec'09 as my wife gets ILR under JR .....i wonder , how would they treat my application then if i apply for FLR-M ?

Danbrix

Post by Danbrix » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:24 pm

You never know Hope2007, just don't lose hope as specific date has not been announced yet. They may even push it by a few months and you would be laughing. And if they do the opposite, I will be scratching my head.

Hope2007

Post by Hope2007 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:36 pm

Lets hope for the best

To be honest , old and new rule may not make much difference in my case....

Old rule for Flr M ....2 year probation + 1 year ILR = BC
New rule ....after 2 year probation + 1 year probation citizenship...which leads to BC...

I have been doing communit work since 2002(before these stupid people even thought about this new rules..) i am sorry i may sound bit rude...

Charity work is something noble & helping other people ...i cant compare that noble thing with this govt ..

anyway my point is ...with in that 1year probation period , my path to gain earned BC may be made shorter if i show the community work i have been doing since 2002...

if i am lucky , i may get in end of 2012/13..

camcan

Post by camcan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:27 pm

I agree that its something noble and should come from the heart because otherwise as soon as you get the citizenship one would never do a work like this again just out of hatered that they were forced to do this..... anyways but about the GOVERNMENT... atleast they say that one would become a citizen min 1 Year (same as ilr)or max 5 (not the same) ..... but Conservatives say.... min should be 5 years and citizenship given should be caped its not the right of people who came here.... now this is why they refuse this bill... but some people are thinking they want to cancel it.... if they do the new one would be extremly harsh.........so if anything this government for migrants is much lesser an evil than conservatives
Hope2007 wrote:Lets hope for the best

To be honest , old and new rule may not make much difference in my case....

Old rule for Flr M ....2 year probation + 1 year ILR = BC
New rule ....after 2 year probation + 1 year probation citizenship...which leads to BC...

I have been doing communit work since 2002(before these stupid people even thought about this new rules..) i am sorry i may sound bit rude...

Charity work is something noble & helping other people ...i cant compare that noble thing with this govt ..

anyway my point is ...with in that 1year probation period , my path to gain earned BC may be made shorter if i show the community work i have been doing since 2002...

if i am lucky , i may get in end of 2012/13..