ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

how to open a bank account in UK

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

helix
Newly Registered

how to open a bank account in UK

Post by helix » Sun May 16, 2004 11:46 pm

Dear all

One of my friend after the approval of HSMP reached UK she is finding difficulties in opening the bank account , as she is staying with her cousin so she not able to produce the utility bills . Can anyone help in this regard ?

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Mon May 17, 2004 8:41 am

I know someone (this is not verified though) who was in a similar situation and produced a notarised letter from the relative they were staying with (i.e. signed + stamped infront of a lawyer I think) that basically outlined that they indeed do live under the same roof.

Together with that, relative's utility bills and a job offer letter, they got the account.

baskey

Post by baskey » Mon May 17, 2004 10:06 am

Hi,
My situation is also same as her. But one of the bank here told that NHS card with the same address will do. but for getting NHS card, one need to wait for 4 weeks!!

regds,

druid
Newly Registered

Post by druid » Tue May 18, 2004 11:13 am

There is very easy thing you can do. Just ask BT to include your name in the phone bill of the friend you are staying with and to send you a copy of the bill with both names. It usually takes no more than 5 working days for the new bill to arrive - and that will solve all your problems with the banks :)

When I was doing this I had a small problem - the first time I requested such operation from BT, the operator I spoke with obviously was not aware of what can and can not be done with my bill as she was claiming that I cannot do that. The same day I called them again and spoke with a different person who sorted this for me for 2 minutes. I hope you will not have the same experience but in case you do just try different person :)

Cheers

D

baskey

Post by baskey » Wed May 19, 2004 6:25 am

druid wrote:There is very easy thing you can do. Just ask BT to include your name in the phone bill of the friend you are staying with and to send you a copy of the bill with both names. It usually takes no more than 5 working days for the new bill to arrive - and that will solve all your problems with the banks

D

Hi druid,

Is it cost free service of BT? And will the name appear only on the next bill or confirmation will be sent from BT within 5 days as u meant?

Regrs,

druid
Newly Registered

Post by druid » Wed May 19, 2004 10:54 am

Yes, no cost, but you ca do it only for an existing number.
You need to ask BT to send you a new, updated copy of the bill with the new name on it. This way you will receive it straight away, otherwise need to wait till you next billing date.

Cheers

D

baskey

Post by baskey » Wed May 19, 2004 1:31 pm

druid wrote:Yes, no cost, but you ca do it only for an existing number.
You need to ask BT to send you a new, updated copy of the bill with the new name on it. This way you will receive it straight away, otherwise need to wait till you next billing date.

Cheers

D
Many Thanks a lot druid. I have just did it today and they asked me that is it for banking purposes and i said- Yes. They happily updated my name.

But unnecessary formalities like this still exits in the UK.....

Cheers,

hsmphopeful

Post by hsmphopeful » Fri May 21, 2004 8:26 am

Try Lloyds TSB WorldWideService
http://www.lloydstsb-wws.com

darikusa

Post by darikusa » Tue May 25, 2004 3:37 am

Thanks for the info. This is valuable info.

In how much time do they setup the account?

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:41 pm

Hi

I followed the advice given here and went the route of asking BT to put my name on my friend's bill, which they did and I got the updated bill in about 3 days, but when I went to HSBC, I was told that I need to be living in the UK for at least three months, and preferably be working to open a bank account, did anyone else have this experience?.
'In everything give thanks'

Petr Ivanov
Newly Registered

Post by Petr Ivanov » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:53 pm

OFCHARITY wrote:Hi

I followed the advice given here and went the route of asking BT to put my name on my friend's bill, which they did and I got the updated bill in about 3 days, but when I went to HSBC, I was told that I need to be living in the UK for at least three months, and preferably be working to open a bank account, did anyone else have this experience?.
go to another branch or bank... 2 branchs of same bank can
be very different, do not stop trying

baskey

Post by baskey » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:15 pm

OFCHARITY wrote:Hi

Same HSBC i have opened without living here for 3 months. Just register yourself by phone with HSBC for new account. Phone No is 08457404404. They will ask your details and tell them u need only basic bank account. ( it is without credit facilities) also tell them you need to transfer money from ur home country to this account immediately.

In UK getting these basic facility like bank, NI no. one need to be HIGHLY SKILLFUL!!!!!!!!!! and try same thing different time with different people and u will get different answers. Here people look at new comers as Criminals ONLY. Also when u so truthful, things won't work here. Because here people live with more criminals than our home country. ( please others not to take my opinion seriously, it is purely my opinion about UK and not to hurt anybody)

So try with out getting frustration...

regards,

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:32 am

Thanks guys, will try calling them up.
'In everything give thanks'