ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Carried INR Indian Money to Uk:

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chandu_246

Carried INR Indian Money to Uk:

Post by chandu_246 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi All,

My friend recently came to UK on TIER1.He brought 72000 INR to UK by mistake(He told me that it got misplaced).I don't know whether it is legal to carry that much INR to UK.Leaving all that aside,what are the options available for him to convert them to POUNDS?

Regards,
Chandra

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Re: Carried INR Indian Money to Uk:

Post by cheshiregoan » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:16 pm

chandu_246 wrote:Hi All,

My friend recently came to UK on TIER1.He brought 72000 INR to UK by mistake(He told me that it got misplaced).I don't know whether it is legal to carry that much INR to UK.Leaving all that aside,what are the options available for him to convert them to POUNDS?

Regards,
Chandra
You will be able to exchange them, ask around at a variety of money changers (Travelex, etc), however since Indian Rupees are not very popular he will get a bad rate for the excgange.
Last edited by cheshiregoan on Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not send me any Private Messages as I do not check these.

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:32 pm

Lave it for next visit.

hk_007

Post by hk_007 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:20 pm

chandu_246 wrote:Hi All,

Regards,
Chandra
It is ILLEGAL to export (carry) more than Rs 5000 from India by Indian residents. Your friend has been extremely lucky not to be caught and prosecuted. See here: http://www.cbec.gov.in/travellers.htm

It is important that members DO NOT provide misleading or incorrect information ':roll:'

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:38 am

The money should be taken back to India in the next trip. As the rupee is not fully convertible, you are not legally allowed to convert it to any other country outside India. There are a few underground operators who will offer to do it but I wouldn't advise that.
Regards,
crowbar6

Sap_consultant
Newly Registered

Post by Sap_consultant » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:13 pm

It may not be advisable to carry it back maybe due to the possibility of losing it on transit or even being questioned by customs. Either he could change with Bank of Baroda, ICICI Bank or SBI, Bank of India or xchange with friends going to India maybe in bits. I got the best deal from money xchangers for the little INR I had.

tomkin

Post by tomkin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:15 am

hk_007 wrote:
It is ILLEGAL to export (carry) more than Rs 5000 from India by Indian residents. Your friend has been extremely lucky not to be caught and prosecuted. See here: http://www.cbec.gov.in/travellers.htm

It is important that members DO NOT provide misleading or incorrect information ':roll:'
Are you sure you meant Rs instead of USD?

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:52 am

please dont advice ur friend to carry it back.. its a big No no..

he is really lucky to escape the questioining at the immigration while comming into UK.. dont try the luck again...
yes try to exchange at Money Xchangers or with friends..