ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier1 fees payment options experiences

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Tier1 fees payment options experiences

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:01 pm

Hi Forum,

I am planning to apply for my Tier1 extension soon.

I am faced with the following 4 options for paying the fees with my understanding of the time taken by the payment to clear in each, and would like people's feedback if they have used the uncommon options:

1) Own debit card - immediate clearance if it works, I have heard in many cases there are complications with this option?
2) Own credit card - same as above. What complications, any ideas?
3) Spouse/friends credit card. Same as 2, but in addition its not your own card so additional complications?
4) Cheque - Heard it takes around a week to clear, and home office waits for only 5 days!! Can this be a problem?
5) Banker's draft - not sure how long this takes to clear. Any ideas? Costs?
6) Postal order - On the post office site it says you can have postal orders upto £250. So do we need to provide multiple postal orders? I assume this clears immidiately. Costs?

Any feedback on the above would be great.

Thanks in advance.

sujyo

Debit Card

Post by sujyo » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:12 pm

I am applying within next 2 days and i am applying by HSBC Maestro debit card.

Many of my friends have applied and got through and so far no issues.

nmm

Post by nmm » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:39 pm

I am applying using my credit mastercard. Please inform if anyone have any bad experience by using credit card.

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:50 am

Any suggestions senior members?

I found that the postal orders can only be in maximum denominations of £250 pounds. so I would need a minimum of 4 postal orders, charged at £10 pounds each. Also I am not sure how to fit this information onto the Tier1 general form.

Besides it will cost an additional £40. So I am planning to apply using my wife's credit card.

Has anyone faced any problems applying with a relative or friend's credit card? Or even applying by their own card?

I am just trying to make sure I know what can be the potential glitches with this mode of payment.

Regards

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:11 pm

InUkOnHsmp wrote:Any suggestions senior members?

I found that the postal orders can only be in maximum denominations of £250 pounds. so I would need a minimum of 4 postal orders, charged at £10 pounds each. Also I am not sure how to fit this information onto the Tier1 general form.

Besides it will cost an additional £40. So I am planning to apply using my wife's credit card.

Has anyone faced any problems applying with a relative or friend's credit card? Or even applying by their own card?

I am just trying to make sure I know what can be the potential glitches with this mode of payment.

Regards
The fastest and cheapest way to make the payment is via a Debit or Credit card. Please call up and inform your bank that you are expecting a transaction of £820 or £1020 (or whatever is the fee you have to pay) will be done by Home Office on your card and they should allow it. This way, the Bank's systems will recognize it as a legitimate transaction and there will not be any problems.

Cheques do take up to 5 working days to clear and you have to pay charges for getting a Banker's Draft or Postal Order.
Regards,
crowbar6

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:12 pm

I recon.. Dedit card payment.. if one have this.. because it not only gets paid quickly.. this will also ensure that your application is put in queue early 4-5days so that in few cases these 4-5days matters alot.. same enclosing RM SD enevelop.. which gets back ur doc 3-4days early compared to RD..

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:06 pm

Hi there,

Ramesh and crowbar, thanks for your inputs.

Do I still have to inform our bank if I am planning to use a credit card? For a debit card I can understand as they have various concepts like a daily transaction limit and all. But to the best of my knowledge the same is not true for credit cards.

Regards

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:16 pm

InUkOnHsmp wrote:Hi there,

Do I still have to inform our bank if I am planning to use a credit card? For a debit card I can understand as they have various concepts like a daily transaction limit and all. But to the best of my knowledge the same is not true for credit cards.

Regards
i used HSBC Debit card for the visa fee payment n Jan 09.. and i did not mention anything to my bank or anybody.. my fee was deducted next day i sent the applicatin.. i think all UK banks recognises the payment requests from HO so it shd be ok.. (I think so and it was the same in my case..)

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:45 pm

Thanks for the input Ramesh.

I will take a calculated decision on whether to use my debit card or my wife's credit card.

Regards

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:47 pm

InUkOnHsmp wrote:Hi there,

Regards
Nowadays, banks deploy systems to monitor card fraud. Thus, sometimes transactions that do not fit into the regular spending pattern of the card user get flagged up and are blocked. Please note that this may or may not take place and depends on your bank / card issuer. There is no harm in informing your bank in advance and it will give you peace of mind as well - this can be done for both Debit and Credit cards.

Don't take a calculated risk - use either type of card and inform the respective bank in advance :)
Regards,
crowbar6

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:23 pm

cannot see anything wrong with Debit/Credit card transactions. I did same for my inital HSMP application. no issues so you should be arite

ginger.garlic

payment method...Can I use friend credit card

Post by ginger.garlic » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi,

I was about to apply tier 1 tommorrow but now I got a new problem.

I dont have matercard credit card. Can I use my friend card for the payment?

My debit card is visa debit. which is not mentioned in the payment method , I do not want use cheque as that will delay my application.

Please suggest..

tcpip_helper
United Kingdom

Re: payment method...Can I use friend credit card

Post by tcpip_helper » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:06 pm

ginger.garlic wrote:Hi,

My debit card is visa debit. which is not mentioned in the payment method , I do not want use cheque as that will delay my application.

Please suggest..

I think visa debit is fine just select delta/maestro box and enter your details. (seniors plz confirm)

basically form gives your 4 different options 1>cash/postal order 2>cheque 3> credit card 4> debit card

rasinrdj

Post by rasinrdj » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:18 pm

Hi I also have Visa debit card which is not mentioned in the payment method. Can somebody please confirm have they applied with visa debit card.

Thanks
nabeel_sheraz wrote:

Please suggest..

I think visa debit is fine just select delta/maestro box and enter your details. (seniors plz confirm)

basically form gives your 4 different options 1>cash/postal order 2>cheque 3> credit card 4> debit card

tonisafe
Newly Registered

Post by tonisafe » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:06 am

rasinrdj wrote:Hi I also have Visa debit card which is not mentioned in the payment method. Can somebody please confirm have they applied with visa debit card.

Thanks
nabeel_sheraz wrote:

Please suggest..

I rang the home office yesterday; i was advised not to include my visa debit card details on the application form; since it wasnt included on the application form. I bought a postal order which cost me and 2 dependants 47 pounds extra! But i will rather play safe with the postal order. 8)

I will post my application before the week runs out! I have been having sleepless night over this Tier 1 visa extension :( :(

nm
Member of Standing

Post by nm » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:06 pm

Visa / Mastercard - go to question A10
Am surprised by seeing the above post. Visa and Master card details are provided on the application.

Please keep the members updated if anything missing.

nm
Member of Standing

Post by nm » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:48 pm

nm wrote:
Visa / Mastercard - go to question A10
Am surprised by seeing the above post. Visa and Master card details are provided on the application.

Please keep the members updated if anything missing.
Hi

Any thought on this.? as am going to post my application in few days.

nm
Member of Standing

Post by nm » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:53 pm

A6. Please select the method of payment from the list below:
Visa / Mastercard - go to question A10 Delta / Maestro - go to question A10
A10. Please debit the following account: Name on card
A11. Card number (the long number across the centre of the card)
A12. Valid from A13. Expiry date A14. Issue number A15. CVV security number

But no where its mentioned in the form as its debit/credit card. any idea on that.?

myegin11

Post by myegin11 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:18 pm

I think paying by a Visa debit card may jeopardise your application. Drawing money from a bank card requires an establishment between the payee and the card issuer. An option may not be offered just because there is not such an establishment between the parties. So, you should not pay via a method which is not specified.

On the application form, it does not mention Visa debit card payment option whereas the names for Maestro and Delta are explicitly mentioned. This means paying by Visa debit card may cause problems.

However, Visa credit card is an option which is clearly available.

rasinrdj

Post by rasinrdj » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi nm,
On top of page 5 of the same form:

*Credit card - Mastercard or Visa (including
Electron)

This held me from using my visa debit card. I'm using postal orders. You can get it in any post office and they need you to pay cash. So withdraw funds. The fee they charge can be between 45-50 + your home office fee. Please cross the postal orders as it is explicitly mentioned in the guidance notes.

Regards,
Rasin
nm wrote:

A6. Please select the method of payment from the list below:
Visa / Mastercard - go to question A10 Delta / Maestro - go to question A10
A10. Please debit the following account: Name on card
A11. Card number (the long number across the centre of the card)
A12. Valid from A13. Expiry date A14. Issue number A15. CVV security number

But no where its mentioned in the form as its debit/credit card. any idea on that.?

rasinrdj

Good point

Post by rasinrdj » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi good point. Have anyone successfully paid with Visa debit card, please post.

myegin11 wrote:I think paying by a Visa debit card may jeopardise your application. Drawing money from a bank card requires an establishment between the payee and the card issuer. An option may not be offered just because there is not such an establishment between the parties. So, you should not pay via a method which is not specified.

On the application form, it does not mention Visa debit card payment option whereas the names for Maestro and Delta are explicitly mentioned. This means paying by Visa debit card may cause problems.

However, Visa credit card is an option which is clearly available.

nm
Member of Standing

Post by nm » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:43 pm

Thanks to everyone for your information, shall i use my friends card (Delta/Mastero) and is that allowed.? or else, i'll go for cheque.

myegin11

Post by myegin11 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:57 pm

If you want the payment to be cleared quickly, you can pay by postal order as they are cleared immediately. I can see it requires additional issuing fee, but 30-40 pounds should be OK if it makes you feel better.

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:10 pm

I gave my credit card details, the payment went fine as of yesterday 8/10/2009 off my account. no issues.

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Which bank card innocentdevil? I think we should really start calling you ID :)
Challenges make life worth it!