ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Success at last!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

philwafc

Success at last!

Post by philwafc » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi all,

My wife was granted her settlement visa today at the 2nd attempt, it hasn't really sunk in yet but i'd like to thank everyone who took the time to answer any of the questions I posted on here, I only wish i'd have found this site before our first application!
In particular i'd like to thank batleykhan for the sound advice, vinny for the links and danbrix for the budget chart...

A couple of more questions,
1) It's likely we will be flying from Ethiopia to the UK via Amsterdam. Will she need some kind of transit visa for this? We won't be venturing into Amsterdam just waiting in the airport for our connecting flight.

2) On arrival in the UK will I be able to go through the non European passport control with my wife (i'm British) I think it will be far easier for her and the border staff if i'm with her?

3) We appealed against the first refusal and the hearing was due in December, who do I contact to cancel the appeal? and can I do this by phone or email, or do I have to write a letter?

thanks again

Danbrix

Re: Success at last!

Post by Danbrix » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:03 pm

Congratulations Phil!!! Enjoy a happy life together.

rracquah
Newly Registered

Post by rracquah » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:16 pm

Thats fantastic, all the best with your new life in the UK. I am also putting together an application, and having seen that you benefited from this budget chart was wondering if you still ave a sample copy? I was wondering how to go about making a budget sheet. Would be great!

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:15 pm

On question 2 - the answer is yes - and I've found it does help if you're there too.

Can't help with the others - sorry.

philwafc

Re: Success at last!

Post by philwafc » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:19 pm

Danbrix wrote:Congratulations Phil!!! Enjoy a happy life together.
cheers Dan! rracquah, unfortunately I don't have a copy of the budget chart anymore but i'm sure someone on here will be able to help you out. Best of luck

Danbrix

Post by Danbrix » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:46 pm

Hi rracquah,

I would be able send you a copy if you let me know your email address.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:37 pm

Hi all,

My wife was granted her settlement visa today at the 2nd attempt, it hasn't really sunk in yet but i'd like to thank everyone who took the time to answer any of the questions I posted on here, I only wish i'd have found this site before our first application!
In particular i'd like to thank batleykhan for the sound advice, vinny for the links and danbrix for the budget chart...

A couple of more questions,
1) It's likely we will be flying from Ethiopia to the UK via Amsterdam. Will she need some kind of transit visa for this? We won't be venturing into Amsterdam just waiting in the airport for our connecting flight.

2) On arrival in the UK will I be able to go through the non European passport control with my wife (i'm British) I think it will be far easier for her and the border staff if i'm with her?

3) We appealed against the first refusal and the hearing was due in December, who do I contact to cancel the appeal? and can I do this by phone or email, or do I have to write a letter?

thanks again
Hey Phil

Man I am so happy for you now that your missus has been granted her visa. You can relax now and enjoy yourself. Glad my advice was of some help to you.

Answers to above are:

1. No she does not need a transit visa as she is not going for a walk in Amsterdam

2 No you will have to go through seperate ones. Best if you get there first and then wait nearby for your missus just in case they want to ask questions. Sometimes it is possible to go through same one, but they dont like it.( You know what the Brits are like when it comes to queuing or waiting in one???)

3 Just write a letter to AIT quote refs no and say you wish to withdraw appeal as visa has been granted. They will withdraw it.

Next thing to do is to start preparing docs/evidence for her ILR. But don't worry about it to much as you have 2 yrs to go yet........ just spend some good time whilst it lasts.
Last edited by batleykhan on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:57 am

In answer to question two you can choose whichever queue you like to go through, and that includes the EU queue. Just make sure she has fully completed the landing card.

In answer to question three, write a letter to the AIT formally withdrawing your appeal. Ensure you quote your case number.

Congratulations.

philwafc

Post by philwafc » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:36 am

Alrighty, thanks again. Just regarding writing to the AIT, is it only me who writes to them (as my wife's representative) ? I'm assuming she doesn't need to write to them aswell.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:38 am

Yes you as her representative needs to write the letter on her behalf. It should be fine.

philwafc

Post by philwafc » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:41 am

batleykhan wrote:Yes you as her representative needs to write the letter on her behalf. It should be fine.
Ok, cheers

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:15 am

It's likely we will be flying from Ethiopia to the UK via Amsterdam. Will she need some kind of transit visa for this? We won't be venturing into Amsterdam just waiting in the airport for our connecting flight.
No Schengen transit visa required, but only because she already has her UK visa. Have a look at this webpage, where you might see her nationality listed in the list of 12 countries whose citizens require a Schengen Transit visa, under that list you will read a paragraph that explains that holders of UK visas do not require a Schengen Transit visa.

By the way, congratulations on getting the UK visa!.
John

philwafc

Post by philwafc » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:19 am

Thanks John some good information there. I've been looking at flights and Turkish Airlines seem to be cheaper than KLM at the moment, I don't suppose anybody knows what the requirement for her to fly via Istanbul would be? She's Ethiopian btw. I'll give the Turkish Embassy in London a call aswell maybe someone will know there...cheers

Danbrix

Post by Danbrix » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:18 pm

philwafc wrote: ... Turkish Airlines seem to be cheaper than KLM ...
Addis Link - Panafric (020 7272 0044) - http://www.getcheaperflight.com/ - They are a London based travel agent and may surprise you with their deals. Their BMI deal is the most popular one with a baggage allowance of 46kg but be prepared to travel during unfriendly hours.

philwafc

Post by philwafc » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:55 pm

Danbrix, thanks for that link. I gave them a call and they do have a good price for Manchester-Addis return, but the single from Addis-Manchester for my wife on the same flight is quite expensive. I thought about booking 2 returns but if the outbound flight doesn't get used then the inbound gets cancelled too. I might just get a single for myself and then sort our flights to Manchester when i'm in Addis. Thanks for looking though mate.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:19 pm

philwafc, Emirates fly to Addis from Dubai, and of course they also fly Dubai to Manchester.

Worth considering breaking the journey in Dubai and flying with Emirates? Check their website? emirates.com
John

prettypolitical

Post by prettypolitical » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:25 pm

Philwafc

Congratulations on your brilliant news....what a great feeling.

I would also recommend Emirates flew with them all the way to south africa and back.....excellent service and very good prices!!!!!

Best of Luck!!!
???REUNITED???

philwafc

Post by philwafc » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:59 pm

Checked out Emirates and a few other sites and the cheapest seem to be Turkish and BMI, the return fares arn't so bad it's just the one way fares back to the UK are quite high. Anyway i've found a good deal for a one way to Addis with BMI so probably go with that and as I don't have to be back in the UK for any specific date hopefully we can pick up a last minute deal in Addis...cheers all.

nyameye

Post by nyameye » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:54 pm

[quote="Danbrix"]Hi rracquah,

I would be able send you a copy if you let me know your email a
ddress.[/quote]

Hello Dan....

Will it be possible to send me a copy of the budget??

email... ***********@*****.****

thank you
Last edited by nyameye on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DesignChick
BANNED

Budget

Post by DesignChick » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:46 pm

Hi,

My husband and I will soon be applying for a spouse visa (for me); I have collected alot of invaluable information/advice from this forum.

Is it possible for me to be sent a copy of the budget also? I would really appreciate it.

triciagail@hotmail.com

Danbrix

Post by Danbrix » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:37 pm

Hi DesignChick,

please check your email.

DesignChick
BANNED

Post by DesignChick » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:58 pm

Thank you, thank you. We are not applying until next year, but want to be sure that we submit all the necessary supporting doucments with our application.

DesignChick
BANNED

Post by DesignChick » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:43 pm

Hi Danbrix,

After looking at your budget, I've done a bit of research on benefits, I see that my husband would only be eligible for child benefit and child tax credit,but would like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind?

1. Am I right in the conclusion that the tax benefits you mentioned are not considered public funds, they are given to every citizen who qualifies?

2. Can we submit a projected budget to include child benefit and child tax credit that my husband is eligible for after our children and myself arrive to live with him?

I couldn't work out working tax credit because I'm not sure of how much we will have to pay for childcare for our youngest (of two).

Thanks for your help.

Danbrix

Post by Danbrix » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:13 pm

Hi DesignChick,

1) Yes (without looking at question 2)
2) No as John made it clear to my question in your previous post at
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#296432
John wrote: ... if the amount of benefits was to be increased because a visa application is granted, then that increase cannot be taken into account in assessing whether the financial test is passed or not ...

DesignChick
BANNED

Post by DesignChick » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:41 pm

For question two didn't notice that response :oops: , sorry.

Thanks for your help.