ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent Help required, lost ILR status letter

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

yunusa
Newly Registered

Urgent Help required, lost ILR status letter

Post by yunusa » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:38 pm

My wife went on holiday to her country of Morocco In august, as she was to return to the UK, she was stopped, her passport had expired, an oversight and a big one on her part she was not allowed to leave her country untill she renewed it.

The problem is to renew the passport would also mean she would need to get the ILR stamp added to her new one. In order to do so she needs th letter that confirms her status and that she has a ILR in the UK.

That said letter is lost. She in stuck over there, the British Embassy have said that she needs the letter before they can stamp her new Moroccan passport.

I have been on the phone all day and I am getting conflicting answers, some saying they will reissue the letter, some saying they will not.

How can I go about getting some proper help here and what do I need to do?

Appreciated.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:35 am

Find a good immigration lawyer.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:07 am

Transfer your visa to a new passport wrote:You can choose not to have the residence permit transferred to your new passport. In that case, you should carry both your old passport and your new passport when you travel to the United Kingdom, as evidence of your resident status. If you cannot produce your original permit, you may not be allowed to enter the country.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

yunusa
Newly Registered

Post by yunusa » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:18 am

Find a good immigration lawyer? what are you saying? that the situaion is serious? Can they not issue another letter?

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:47 am

yunusa,
don't panic.

ask ur wife to get a new passport and then carry both the passport, that's it really. You don't need to transfer the visa. It is that simple.

massatuf
Newly Registered

Post by massatuf » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:48 pm

RAJ2007 wrote:yunusa,
don't panic.

ask ur wife to get a new passport and then carry both the passport, that's it really. You don't need to transfer the visa. It is that simple.
Correct just travel to UK as normal with both passports, unless you have lost old passport or this has been taken.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukresi ... opassport/

"You can choose not to have the residence permit transferred to your new passport. In that case, you should carry both your old passport and your new passport when you travel to the United Kingdom, as evidence of your resident status. If you cannot produce your original permit, you may not be allowed to enter the country."

yunusa
Newly Registered

Post by yunusa » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:13 pm

Thanks for the info, but the odd thing is the Moroccan authorities normally retain the old passport, which is daft if you ask me.. But I spoke to a lawyer today and he advised me to report the letter lost to the police and then notify the home office which I will do tomorrow.

I just think this whole process is crazy, the home office has all her details on file, why does things always have to be complicated?