ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

how do i report illegal working in the UK?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mountainhigh
Newly Registered

how do i report illegal working in the UK?

Post by mountainhigh » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi - I know of an individual who was working illegally earlier this year, before leaving the country. He plans to come back and resume his activities.

I have some documents of his (fake passport, work letters, bank letters) that would seem to implicate him in an offence against immigration law. What would be the best way to get these documents to the relevant authorities?

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:15 pm

No one likes a grasser.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

El shaddai
Member of Standing

Post by El shaddai » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:38 pm

Hi Mountainhigh,
I am wondering why in the first place you develop this evil thinking, about a fellow human being like you. If you have any grudges or misunderstanding why dont you sort it out instead planning evil. Or are you an immigration Officer? or an informant? "WHATEVER YOU SOW, SO SHALL YOU REAP" Think Twice!!!!!

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:53 pm

El shaddai wrote:Hi Mountainhigh,
I am wondering why in the first place you develop this evil thinking, about a fellow human being like you. If you have any grudges or misunderstanding why dont you sort it out instead planning evil. Or are you an immigration Officer? or an informant? "WHATEVER YOU SOW, SO SHALL YOU REAP" Think Twice!!!!!
If he's here illegally then it's better that he's reported. This makes it easier for genuine applicants further down the line.

The Home Office is who you need to report him too. The police might also be interested in the fake documents.

RedLed
Newly Registered

Post by RedLed » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:15 am

I agree with meats. It is such people that makes life for the rest of us difficult. Send an anonymous letter to the HO if you don't want to be identified.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:30 am

You should report this.

Look at this page on the UKBA website, which gives an email address to which you can send the info, and ask to be given an address to which you can send the documents. Alternatively, if you know the airport that the offender would normally use, you can send them to the UKBA office there

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/conta ... ge/191679/

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:54 am

There are those who think that working illegally is a victimless crime. However nothing could be further from the truth. The victim is of course the person who would have got the job, legally.

So I say to mountainhigh, go for it, stop this crime occurring. And indeed stop the employer of that person facing a penalty of up to £10000.
John

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:55 am

El shaddai wrote:Hi Mountainhigh,
Me thinks thou doth protest too much?

They should be reported.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:22 am

I agree with John 100%.

Whilst no one likes to be a snooper or grasser on another fellow human, if what one is doing illegal and wrong, they should be reported to the aproppiate authority. Full stop

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:57 am

I agree with John 100%
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

bototo

Post by bototo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:34 pm

The victim is of course the person who would have got the job, legally.
Consider this: While this "victim" got benefits and free housing, this illegal immigrant sent money home that has just paid for his son's eye operation and saved him from going blind. Maybe even saved his life.

The moral position isn't that clear now, is it?

Has he committed a crime? Yes, in British law, he has. Would I do what he's done if the tables were turned? You bet!

And so would you moralising rabble rousers.

I have a deep problem with anyone reporting someone purely out of jealously or vindictiveness. Let's not confuse their actions with what's honest and decent.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:50 pm

bototo wrote:
The victim is of course the person who would have got the job, legally.
Consider this: While this "victim" got benefits and free housing, this illegal immigrant sent money home that has just paid for his son's eye operation and saved him from going blind. Maybe even saved his life.

The moral position isn't that clear now, is it?

Has he committed a crime? Yes, in British law, he has. Would I do what he's done if the tables were turned? You bet!

And so would you moralising rabble rousers.

I have a deep problem with anyone reporting someone purely out of jealously or vindictiveness. Let's not confuse their actions with what's honest and decent.
Consider this: The illegal guy who saved his son's sight deprived a British citizen of a job and as a consequence that guy killed himself and left a family without a father.

We can all play that game.

I would report the guy, purely because it's the right thing to do and it's one's duty as a British Citizen to report and prosecute wrong-doers and criminals.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

massatuf
Newly Registered

Post by massatuf » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:14 pm

I personally would not report an illegal worker, the consequences of reporting him would be very severe, even life destroying on the individual and his family especially as he could go to jail for fake docs. This guy has not personally gone out of his way to hurt anyone and ultimately is not directly hurting a human soul. Think of it as someone who has managed to convince an employer to be given the job, even if one deceives the employer to get a job would you have his soul tormented.

Think of politicians in Westminster and bankers their decisions have ultimately cost jobs. But can we directly attribute an anonymous individual on the street without a job to an individual banker.

Think of it as it not being your duty to report this person as the employer should be checking this and UKBA and the police have this responsibilty.

The difference is this is a one-to-one action taken by you against an individual who you know personally. Can you live with the knowledge that you destroyed a man's life on a personal capacity. I bet you will feel bad about this for the rest of your life. I beg you to have mercy on this person.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:21 pm

massatuf wrote:I personally would not report an illegal worker, the consequences of reporting him would be very severe, even life destroying on the individual and his family especially as he could go to jail for fake docs. This guy has not personally gone out of his way to hurt anyone and ultimately is not directly hurting a human soul. Think of it as someone who has managed to convince an employer to be given the job, even if one deceives the employer to get a job would you have his soul tormented.
But the illegal immigrant is taking the job of someone who is unemployed yet here legally. Is this fair? No.
massatuf wrote:Think of politicians in Westminster and bankers their decisions have ultimately cost jobs. But can we directly attribute an anonymous individual on the street without a job to an individual banker.
Their decisions have cost jobs and we have a chance of voting out the politicians next year. It is up to the politicians to clamp down on banks and bankers. However it is the banks that generate a lot of wealth in the UK.
massatuf wrote:Think of it as it not being your duty to report this person as the employer should be checking this and UKBA and the police have this responsibilty.

The difference is this is a one-to-one action taken by you against an individual who you know personally. Can you live with the knowledge that you destroyed a man's life on a personal capacity. I bet you will feel bad about this for the rest of your life. I beg you to have mercy on this person.
And maybe he'd have the same doubt about not reporting it. Maybe this illegal immigrant is taking up a job that the OP could be doing? Maybe he is taking up a job that you or me could also be doing? Or anyone else on the forum, or anyone who has been made redundant recently?

massatuf
Newly Registered

Post by massatuf » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:41 pm

meats wrote: And maybe he'd have the same doubt about not reporting it. Maybe this illegal immigrant is taking up a job that the OP could be doing? Maybe he is taking up a job that you or me could also be doing? Or anyone else on the forum, or anyone who has been made redundant recently?
Sounds all like maybe's; maybe there are lots of illegal workers around but what is for certain is this is setting out to directly hurt another human being and I put a curse on the man who does this and hope that injury comes upon himand his family one day.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:42 pm

massatuf wrote:I personally would not report an illegal worker, the consequences of reporting him would be very severe, even life destroying on the individual and his family especially as he could go to jail for fake docs. This guy has not personally gone out of his way to hurt anyone and ultimately is not directly hurting a human soul. Think of it as someone who has managed to convince an employer to be given the job, even if one deceives the employer to get a job would you have his soul tormented.
He's a criminal, it's our duty to report him, like it or not. Think of this then, the employer if caught would be fined £10k, meaning possibly he'd have to close his business, possibly resulting in several job losses to compound the felony.

You have to take the path of least consequence, which depends on one's sense of right and wrong, and basically whether one can be bothered. I'm honest enough to take the moral high-ground, knowing full well I'd not bother reporting, because we cannot be in full knowledge of all facts, the guy in question could be legal, and all the 'evidence' be forged, not his, identity theft victim, we just don't know.

Maybe the OP is bearing a grudge - I doubt it personally but there is a chance, however small.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:47 pm

massatuf wrote:
meats wrote: And maybe he'd have the same doubt about not reporting it. Maybe this illegal immigrant is taking up a job that the OP could be doing? Maybe he is taking up a job that you or me could also be doing? Or anyone else on the forum, or anyone who has been made redundant recently?
Sounds all like maybe's; maybe there are lots of illegal workers around but what is for certain is this is setting out to directly hurt another human being and I put a curse on the man who does this and hope that injury comes upon himand his family one day.
And the illegals are hurting other human beings too by taking jobs that people here legally could be doing.

Your last couple of lines shows what an evil person you are.

massatuf
Newly Registered

Post by massatuf » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:50 pm

meats wrote:people here legally could be doing.

Are you afraid of being cursed?

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:52 pm

massatuf wrote:

No, but you wishing sickness upon others isn't very nice is it.

Do you respect the law massatuf?

massatuf
Newly Registered

Post by massatuf » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:57 pm

meats wrote:
massatuf wrote:

Not the laws of man, I will not hurt someone because of the law and I am willing to stand out for those who need help even illegals. Just how moral were the British when they made others second class citizens in their own lands, very legal I guess apartheid, colonisation, slavery.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:00 pm

massatuf wrote:
meats wrote:
massatuf wrote:

Not the laws of man, I will not hurt someone because of the law and I am willing to stand out for those who need help even illegals. Just how moral were the British when they made others second class citizens in their own lands, very legal I guess apartheid, colonisation, slavery.
So it's ok for illegals to be working and taking the jobs of legal people because of events 200+ years ago?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:07 pm

massatuf wrote:
meats wrote:
massatuf wrote:

This is tired argument.

What happened then was then, normal for the times, like it or not. I think people just miffed because their country/state/people didn't make top dog at the time, I don't see the Brits asking for the French to apologise for 1066, or seeking reparations and damages from the Romans. It happened, it wasn't good, it's gone, it was then, it's not happening now.

If u r a BC it's ur duty to report crime.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:46 pm

I think our past greatly influence and shape our present and future.

I could go on for a million years about the evilness of the British empire and how it destroyed and subjugated it subjects. In the part of the world were i originated from, the colonial masters squander money in the form of taxes and natural resources, for which my ancestors never benefited. Some countries who never wanted the British in their midst, were forced to do so against their wishes, this is evident in cases like Kenya Mau mau, and the genocide committed their in the 50s, not too distant past. Perhaps one should read Caroline Elkins book, Imperial Reckoning: The Untold Story of Britain's Gulag in Kenya, which won her the 2006 Pulitzer price and get informed. I could name many many more.

If they can go to these countries and build settlements, why should these people not be allowed to come in and do jobs, and pay taxes, in contrast to what the Empire did in their nations. Read about South Africa, North and South Rhodesia, Kenya, India, Malaysia, Australia and the Aborigines. Man, it does not make a pleasant reading at all.

These horror stories are not pigment of my imagination, they did occur.

Lots of Luo women were raped by the colonial soliders, and some subsequently got pregnant and had children by these criminals. No compensations or reparation were offered to these people. Therefore i hate when people, start saying the past is the past. It certainly isn't when it adversely affects the future.

I personally don't think undocumented workers are criminal, and i think it is wholly vindictive and immoral for them to be reported, when the only thing they did wrong, is do jobs which their British Counterpart will not touch with a birch pole. They are not stealing, robbing bank. They are using their hand to support themselves and their family. Which i don't see a wrong in.

I wonder what the people advocating for this guys to be reported, would have done, had they been in the same position.

I worked in an office in the UK, were the employer, put an advert, and bend over backward to get home grown Brits on board. They did not budge. He waited for several week before he finally decided to take the immigrant. Even the Brits who came went the next week, saying they would rather go on benefits.

In Ireland, the government is lobbying the Americans to grant amnesty to the thousands of undocumented Irish in America, if these people are not seem as Criminal in the eyes of the Europeans, why should the ones in UK, be seen as such , because they do not hold a European Citizenship. I think this is double standards.

I keep saying this to my British counterpart when i lived in the UK, when Brits cease from seeing these unskilled jobs as unworthy of taking, stop spending their time on state benefit, and doing the jobs as perfectly as the immigrants, then the demand for them will cease.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

dr_raihan29

Post by dr_raihan29 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:58 pm

I also think that illigal immigrant should be immidiately reported, its because of these kind of person the rules are getting tighter and tighter and creating loads of headache and heartache for honest and law abiding people who goes for initial visa/visa extension etc. these ppl should be stopped! whoever supports turning a blind eye to being an illigal immigrants giving lame excuse like being an illigal and sending money home to get blind son cured is like supporting someone who breaks into a house and steals and gives the excuse that he has mouth to feed........a crime is a crime and this is probably the worst kind of crime because it afftects and modifies and reshapes many others future as well. Well Done to spot and do better to report now many thanks to original poster

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:03 pm

One should read Mein Kampf, who saved the World from that?

Those times it was dog eat dog, I feel no need to apologise for it, that was then and now is now. I could argue that the UK was so class ridden then it was only the top 1% of society that did those things in the colonial world, the rest were like me, from the bottom of the pile and just as subjugated, just taking orders.

Every dog has it's day, and what made Britain great back then was natural selection, before that, the Roman Empire, now the USA, tmrw who knows, Chinese probably.

What happened in the past is then, and anything that is entitled '..untold story..' usually means 'never happened...'