ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british passport for canadian baby

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

marty

british passport for canadian baby

Post by marty » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:18 pm

Hi there . again im confused about wat do i need to provide for the application for a british passport for my girl of 18months old? im with ehr living in canada she never been in the uk but her father is birtish citizen and he is on birth certificate. She got canadian passport but i wanted to know for the british one.

Is it better if its the father who make the application for her in england or me in canada coz im living with her? i dont know coz i need a countersigner and i dont know anyone in england except the father and his parents. WAt can i do if i make the application in canada and i dont know a british countersigner ? But i know she is available for a british passport as her dad is british. she was born in 2008.
Thanks all

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:38 am

If child is British, then see also Passports.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

marty

Post by marty » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:53 pm

no she is not british thats why im wondering wat i need. She is born in canada and never been to england. Its her dad who is british. But i just dont know if its better if better if her dad making application for her passport from england or is it me who have to do it here in canada. Me and her dad are not living together but are partner. We are gonna get married eventually .
thank you

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:50 pm

marty wrote:no she is not british thats why im wondering wat i need.
If she's not British she cannot have a British passport.

marty wrote:She is born in canada and never been to england. Its her dad who is british.
Is her Dad British by descent or otherwise than by descent?

Did you read the first link that Vinny gave to you?

marty wrote:But i just dont know if its better if better if her dad making application for her passport from england or is it me who have to do it here in canada.
Makes no difference.

marty wrote:Me and her dad are not living together but are partner. We are gonna get married eventually .
thank you
Also doesn't make a difference.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

marty

Post by marty » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:37 pm

he is british by descent.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:57 pm

marty wrote:he is british by descent.
Then your daughter is not a British citizen and probably unable to be registered as a British citizen now.

However, if, in future, your daughter lives in the UK with her British citizen father for at least three years, she will have an entitlement to be registered under section 3(5) of the British Nationality Act 1981.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:10 pm

If you child's father was born in the UK, as you mentioned on this thread, then he is not British by descent, he is British otherwise than by descent.

Except, of course, you were unsure then, and now, information contrary to the one you provided about his birth place has come to light.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:20 pm

For goodness sake. What a waste of time.

marty, please continue on the original thread.

:roll:

marty

Post by marty » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:24 pm

yeah sorry he is born in uk , i made mistake so he is born otherwise by descent then.
So our daughter should qualified for a birtish passport then...is it.?
but my question at first was if its better if he wud make the application there for her passport or i better do it from here in canada as she is living with me in canada? If i wud do it he wud only need sign the passport and provide his birth certificate and be on her birth certificated as well, but the problem is the countersigner that i dont know as i only know him there and his parents. Its him who wud know people there in england to be the countersigner not me . so thats why i dont know if i can make the application as they asking for a birtish countersigner who knows me since at least 2 years. can anyone help me bout that issue ?
thanx all

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:41 pm

As Vinny rightly stated, the passport application has been centralized, and now processed in the states. The only question is, whether or not you will be required to have the 2 UK referees, or the Canadian equivalent will suffice.

marty

Post by marty » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:15 pm

oh my god in the states! Does it means i will have to go there with my daughter coz i heard all new british passport will have to be biometrics.
How it works ? need information please
thank u

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:16 am

Interviews will not be conducted for children under 16. You have to make sure you get the right photograph requirements, no fingerprint or interview is required for the biometric purpose.

You would also need to fill in form C2 for her passport application and send the passport application, together with mother's declaration as you are not married to father.

Also look at the section, which lists documents required for children born on or after 1st July 2006, as that is the one that applies to your child, and provide the requested documents.

Also see guide to filling form.

No need to panic.
Last edited by Obie on Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:17 am

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:58 pm

benifa wrote:For goodness sake. What a waste of time.

marty, please continue on the original thread.

:roll:
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.