ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

spouse of naturalised irish citizen

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dublin
Newly Registered

spouse of naturalised irish citizen

Post by dublin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:36 pm

Hi All

can somebody let me know the timeline for spouse of naturalised citizen ? Here are my timelines

I came in 2000
got naturalised in 2009
my spouse came in 2006

I know as per rules my spouse should wait another 2 years before applying ? Is there somebody in this forum who has applied for naturalisation of their spouse before 5 years on the basis that now they are spouse of Irish citizen living in Ireland for 3 years.

Regards

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:44 pm

AFAIK there are basically 2 options for your spouse.
i. Apply in her own right in 2011 when she completes her 5 years. In this case more than likely her processing time will be the same as the rest of the folks ~3 yrs or so.
ii. Apply as spouse of an Irish citizen in 2012 based on the fact that your Irish citizenship commenced in 2009 when you became a naturalised citizen. In this instance however her processing time will be less as the processing time for spouses of Irish citizen is of the order of 1.5 yrs.

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:00 pm

strongbow wrote:AFAIK there are basically 2 options for your spouse.
i. Apply in her own right in 2011 when she completes her 5 years. In this case more than likely her processing time will be the same as the rest of the folks ~3 yrs or so.
ii. Apply as spouse of an Irish citizen in 2012 based on the fact that your Irish citizenship commenced in 2009 when you became a naturalised citizen. In this instance however her processing time will be less as the processing time for spouses of Irish citizen is of the order of 1.5 yrs.
Interesting Iinterpretation there strongbow. Are you implying that her 3 years would be counted only from the day her spouse naturalized? I would have thought that she would qualify to apply as the spouse of an Irish citizen as long as the spouse was Irish at the time of her application and they have been married for 3 years
What lies behind us and ahead of us is nothing compared to what lies within us

guessaname
Newly Registered

Post by guessaname » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:00 pm

No 9jeirean, what StrongBow said is right. She has to wait for 3 years from the day her spouse naturalized to get the status of an Irish Spouse.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:41 pm

what if she tried to apply in 2011 as having 5 years in the country and fills in the form as a spouse of irish national as well... she will qualify as having 5 years in the country and by the time of the processing she would have completed 3 years as a spouse of an irish national... therefore, her processing time may be shorter.

guessaname
Newly Registered

Post by guessaname » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:10 pm

In 2011 she can apply for naturalization on basis of 5 years stay but she will not be eligible to apply as an Irish spouse as she will not complete 3 years since her husband got naturalized. She has to be 3 years married to a naturalized person from the time he got naturalized, at the time of her application.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:28 pm

by the way, did anyone had an idea to actually call tipp and ask them in relation to the spouses of the newly naturalised irish. because i think we can discuss that as much as we want, but it depends on the actual procedures that citizenship in tipp have.

dublin
Newly Registered

Post by dublin » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:53 am

i haven't called department of Justice in regards to this question. I will be surprised if I call them and they will be able to give me the answer to this question.

My idea was to ask people in this forum about a real example. So if somebody who got naturalised and applied for their spouse after that, did department of justice checked for 3 years or 5 years of stay and do they care about the fact when the other person got naturalised ?

Please let me know.

HariOm
Newly Registered

Post by HariOm » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:54 am

Dear All ,

You can apply for naturalization of your spouses independent to the date of your naturalization. My wife applied one month after I got my naturalization(3 years residency) and application was accepted without any issues. I presume if there will be any discrepancy than DOJ would have raised at the time of application.

Hope it helps and clears your concerns.

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:35 pm

HariOm wrote:Dear All ,

You can apply for naturalization of your spouses independent to the date of your naturalization. My wife applied one month after I got my naturalization(3 years residency) and application was accepted without any issues. I presume if there will be any discrepancy than DOJ would have raised at the time of application.

Hope it helps and clears your concerns.
Thanks HariOm,

That's what I thought too. It helps to have someone with a first hand experience.

9j
What lies behind us and ahead of us is nothing compared to what lies within us

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:36 pm

@HariOm,
In the naturalisation form there is a separate section for spouses applying on the basis of being married to an Irish spouse, plus there are additional docs/affidavits to be provided. Did she fill up those sections as well?

My wife has also put in an application for naturalisation (on the basis of her own stay here for 5 years) and in the section for spouse's citizenship she indicated my Irish citizenship(as I am by naturalisation).

I had asked this question to DoJ and did not get any clear answer. They simply forwarded me the Naturalisation application form.

HariOm
Newly Registered

Post by HariOm » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:48 pm

Hey Strongbow , Yep we filled up the separate section in form8 (for Irish Spouses) and this section was signed by both of us and Solicitor. Apart from this they did ask Affidavits(birth/marriage) and all tax documentations(obviously) and attested copy of our marriage cert.

Also another point to share with rest of gang here is that I noticed they are pretty strict now in accepting applications.They just return forms for very simple reasons (like any spelling mistakes , dates(hand written) , photo copies attestations etc.). Anyway in our days story was quite different when they were not that strict and clarifications were done at later stage.