ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application for a visitors visa for a US citizen

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

davejenk
Newly Registered

Application for a visitors visa for a US citizen

Post by davejenk » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:54 pm

Hi,

i was hoping that someone could help me, my girlfriend was recently turned back from the uk and has been told that she needs to apply for a visitors visa, despite us being informed that as a US citizen she didnt need one. he would now like to come over for a moth over xmas, however we are unsure of the process and the application times involved in getting a visitors visa for a US citizen?

also, what documentation is likely to be required to support the application? she has plenty money to come for a month, and has college dates showing her school begins again in january.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you

meats
BANNED

Re: Application for a visitors visa for a US citizen

Post by meats » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:57 pm

davejenk wrote:Hi,

i was hoping that someone could help me, my girlfriend was recently turned back from the uk and has been told that she needs to apply for a visitors visa, despite us being informed that as a US citizen she didnt need one. he would now like to come over for a moth over xmas, however we are unsure of the process and the application times involved in getting a visitors visa for a US citizen?

also, what documentation is likely to be required to support the application? she has plenty money to come for a month, and has college dates showing her school begins again in january.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you
What was the reason she was turned away for?

taliska

Post by taliska » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:03 pm

why did she get turned back, usually this will only happen if the immigration officers are concerned about the legitimacy of a persons reason for entering the UK(e.g possible overstay, lack of funds for support, possibility that she was really coming here to be engaged and married-therefore needing spousal visaprior to entry etc...) and as she is a non visa national she would not normally have to apply for a visa so therefore you maybe need to give the forum further details

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:08 pm

If a non-visa national is refused entry under para 43 of the immigration rules (doubtful visitor) the standard advice is to suggest they consider applying for a visa should they wish to return to the UK.

lorencew
Newly Registered

Post by lorencew » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:25 am

visa.
Last edited by lorencew on Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

davejenk
Newly Registered

Post by davejenk » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:44 am

Hi,

thanks for the replies

she was coming over for 4 months, and they were concerned that they thought she was going to work while she was here. She wasnt, and had enough money to prove otherwise, but she asked them if she was allowed to do voluntary work, and unfortunately they counted this against her. They also found that she had given up the rent on her flat in the US and they thought this meant she wasnt returning. It was actually just so that we didnt have to pay rent on two places at the same time.

She was told by the immigration people that she should have no problems getting a visa, and they said she could come back straight away with the visa. However, we are now looking at her coming over for a 1 month stay ratehr than the 4 months we originally intended.

She flew into heathrow.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:27 am

lorencew wrote:Let me guess that she flew into Gatwick?

Fly into a different airport.
What nonsense. The suggestion that IOs at Gatwick are more predatory than anywhere else, or that all she's got to do is to turn up somewhere else with the "right" credentials is dangerously misleading.

As previously posted, non-visa nationals refused entry are often advised that they should get a visa before a future trip, as they are then assured of entry on arrival. If the applicant can make her intentions clear, showing she has no plans to work in the UK and that she intends to return to the USA she should be granted a visa.

lorencew
Newly Registered

Post by lorencew » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:49 pm

visa.
Last edited by lorencew on Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:51 pm

lorencew wrote: If they stamped her USA passport as denied entry, she should remove the page or get a new USA pages.
Erm, illegal?

taliska

Post by taliska » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:08 pm

lorencew wrote:
Mr Rusty wrote:

What nonsense. The suggestion that IOs at Gatwick are more predatory than anywhere else, or that all she's got to do is to turn up somewhere else with the "right" credentials is dangerously misleading.
This is not nonsense. If she really is just visiting as a tourist, then she can try to re-enter. I guarantee it. If they stamped her USA passport as denied entry, she should remove the page or get a new USA pages.
It is up to the discretion of the entry agent. The Home office is located at Gatwick. Heathrow is just as bad, however. People have often returned through a different entry point, once they have learned the lesson of creating a misunderstanding. She is still not saying every detail to you, but that is fine. Can you give us more details of her ethnic, professional and personality background? How many hours was she detained?

I am glad you posted the details, the scenario is typical. She said something wrong at the initial contact, precipitating a lengthy interview, luggage inspection and photocopying. If she said she was staying for 4 months, this is beyond the 3 month limit. They don't even want you for 3 months. Even with plenty of money, the agent knows she will try to work. Giving up the apartment is a key fact. The agent wants to be assured that you have ties in the USA to return to: A home, a job, a child etc. You must look strickly like a tourist. These agents are skilled. They are lied to every minute. Visitors are not careful enough.

If she wants to work and stay longer than 3 months, then maybe one of the various visas is a good idea.
lorencew I don't think the forum is about advising people to perform illegal acts as defacing a passport of any country is illegal and your advice is highly unacceptable and that's not what any migrant wants as it gives us a bad name so please stop this type of advice you are giving. This could also possibly cause the woman to be landed with a hefty fine or jail. She should simply just apply for a visa before she tries to travel and waist more money as she will most likely be turned away as all Home office and customs are now linked and well computerised in the UK

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:56 pm

Refisals of entry are automatically loaded onto the warnings computer as soon as they happen so tearing out a page of the passport, or even getting a new passport would be futile.

lorencew
Newly Registered

Post by lorencew » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:09 am

Have fun paying for an un-necessary visa.
Last edited by lorencew on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:47 am

lorencew wrote:
UKBAbble wrote:Refisals of entry are automatically loaded onto the warnings computer as soon as they happen so tearing out a page of the passport, or even getting a new passport would be futile.
You have a lot of confidence in your system. You cannot control everything. Which airport do you work at?
We live in a connected World, believe me....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

davejenk
Newly Registered

Post by davejenk » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:37 am

Thanks for the replies, dont worry shes not going to be tearing pages out of her passport or anything like that! we are going to apply for the visa this weekend so she can come over for a month over xmas and new year.

do you think that the following will be enough proof to show that she only wants to stay for a month?
- return flight ticket
- proof of funds
- rental agreement for apartment
- college schedule showing when classes start again

does anyone know what the process is to apply for the visa? is it online or paper format? also, does she have to go to an interview in the US?

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:52 pm

A letter from her college dean confirming the fact she is a registered student and still has courses to attend would go a long way in confirming her student status.

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:53 pm

A letter from her college dean confirming the fact she is a registered student and still has courses to attend would go a long way in confirming her student status.

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:56 pm

The ECO will also contact the Border Agency in the UK to get the full facts behind the refusal.

lorencew
Newly Registered

taliska you can remove the old quote, please.

Post by lorencew » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:06 pm

I think you should go to the USA
Last edited by lorencew on Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:49 pm

taliska wrote:
lorencew wrote:
Mr Rusty wrote:

This is not nonsense. If she really is just visiting as a tourist, then she can try to re-enter. I guarantee it. If they stamped her USA passport as denied entry, she should remove the page or get a new USA pages.
It is up to the discretion of the entry agent. The Home office is located at Gatwick. Heathrow is just as bad, however. People have often returned through a different entry point, once they have learned the lesson of creating a misunderstanding. She is still not saying every detail to you, but that is fine. Can you give us more details of her ethnic, professional and personality background? How many hours was she detained?

I am glad you posted the details, the scenario is typical. She said something wrong at the initial contact, precipitating a lengthy interview, luggage inspection and photocopying. If she said she was staying for 4 months, this is beyond the 3 month limit. They don't even want you for 3 months. Even with plenty of money, the agent knows she will try to work. Giving up the apartment is a key fact. The agent wants to be assured that you have ties in the USA to return to: A home, a job, a child etc. You must look strickly like a tourist. These agents are skilled. They are lied to every minute. Visitors are not careful enough.

If she wants to work and stay longer than 3 months, then maybe one of the various visas is a good idea.
lorencew I don't think the forum is about advising people to perform illegal acts as defacing a passport of any country is illegal and your advice is highly unacceptable and that's not what any migrant wants as it gives us a bad name so please stop this type of advice you are giving. This could also possibly cause the woman to be landed with a hefty fine or jail. She should simply just apply for a visa before she tries to travel and waist more money as she will most likely be turned away as all Home office and customs are now linked and well computerised in the UK
Agreed.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....