ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application from the Isle of Man

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mylilmo
Newly Registered

Application from the Isle of Man

Post by mylilmo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:27 pm

I would like to apply for HSMP Tier1 General; I live and work in the Isle of Man (Isle of Man work permit holder). Is there anyone out there that has ever been in my situation? I am still not sure how much I should have as savings if I am switching from work permit to the Tier 1 general and which address I should use on my application. Please advise, as I am not getting much help (or any) from the advisors at the home office.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Re: Application from the Isle of Man

Post by ChetanOjha » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:41 pm

mylilmo wrote:I would like to apply for HSMP Tier1 General; I live and work in the Isle of Man (Isle of Man work permit holder). Is there anyone out there that has ever been in my situation? I am still not sure how much I should have as savings if I am switching from work permit to the Tier 1 general and which address I should use on my application. Please advise, as I am not getting much help (or any) from the advisors at the home office.
As far as savings are concerned you should have sufficient maintenance funds for yourself and your dependents as per the guidelines. As far as I am aware Isle of man is a part of UK(correct me if I am wrong), you can use Isle of Man address.

You can check PBS calculator for rest of the qualifying creteria.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:44 pm

chetanojha wrote:
mylilmo wrote:I would like to apply for HSMP Tier1 General; I live and work in the Isle of Man (Isle of Man work permit holder). Is there anyone out there that has ever been in my situation? I am still not sure how much I should have as savings if I am switching from work permit to the Tier 1 general and which address I should use on my application. Please advise, as I am not getting much help (or any) from the advisors at the home office.
As far as savings are concerned you should have sufficient maintenance funds for yourself and your dependents as per the guidelines. As far as I am aware Isle of man is a part of UK(correct me if I am wrong), you can use Isle of Man address.

It is part of England, and as such the UK yes.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:50 pm

meats wrote:
chetanojha wrote:

It is part of England, and as such the UK yes.
Yeah...thought so...as many people uses Isle of Man companies for billing etc. Got confused when mylilmo mentioned "Isle Of Man work permit".

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Post by cheshiregoan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:19 pm

Unfortunately you cannot apply from the Isle of Man

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... s/#header3
How to apply if you are in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man

The Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, Herm, Sark, and Alderney) and the Isle of Man have their own immigration laws and policies, separate to those of the United Kingdom. For immigration control, we treat these islands as outside the United Kingdom.

If you are living within the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, and have been granted permission to stay (leave to remain) there by one of the island authorities, you will not be able to make an application for leave to remain in the United Kingdom as a highly skilled worker directly from the islands.

In these circumstances, you can apply under Tier 1 (General) in two ways. These are:

* by returning to the country where you are normally resident (your home country) and applying for permission come to the United Kingdom (entry clearance) from there; or

* if your permission to stay on one of the islands is still current, you can come directly to the United Kingdom. Once you are in the United Kingdom, you may apply to switch into Tier 1 (General) provided the immigration category under which you were given permission to stay on the islands is one from which United Kingdom immigration law allows you to switch into Tier 1 (General). This is because, once you have travelled to the United Kingdom, we are able to treat the leave given to you under the island laws as if it had been granted by the United Kingdom authorities.
The second point sounds a bit confusing to me unfortunately so I won't attempt to interpret it and confuse you any further.
Please do not send me any Private Messages as I do not check these.

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Post by cheshiregoan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:20 pm

MODERATORS PLEASE DELETE, DOUBLE POST BY MISTAKE
Please do not send me any Private Messages as I do not check these.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:49 pm

I think you can apply from Isle Of Man provided you are under category from which you can switch to Tier-1. Below is extract from Cheshire's link. I have included next para too from the link. Let's wait for other senior to reply.
How to apply if you are in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man
The Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, Herm, Sark, and Alderney) and the Isle of Man have their own immigration laws and policies, separate to those of the United Kingdom. For immigration control, we treat these islands as outside the United Kingdom.

If you are living within the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, and have been granted permission to stay (leave to remain) there by one of the island authorities, you will not be able to make an application for leave to remain in the United Kingdom as a highly skilled worker directly from the islands.

In these circumstances, you can apply under Tier 1 (General) in two ways. These are:

by returning to the country where you are normally resident (your home country) and applying for permission come to the United Kingdom (entry clearance) from there; or
if your permission to stay on one of the islands is still current, you can come directly to the United Kingdom. Once you are in the United Kingdom, you may apply to switch into Tier 1 (General) provided the immigration category under which you were given permission to stay on the islands is one from which United Kingdom immigration law allows you to switch into Tier 1 (General). This is because, once you have travelled to the United Kingdom, we are able to treat the leave given to you under the island laws as if it had been granted by the United Kingdom authorities.
The immigration categoriesfrom which you can switch are listed in the section above. You must make your application to switch into Tier 1 (General) before your current leave to remain in the islands expires.

In certain circumstances, overseas nationals living on the islands must obtain a visa (entry clearance) before travelling to the United Kingdom. You can find these in the immigration directorate instructions, Chapter 1, Section 2.