ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visiting Visa to Dependent Visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

DoubtingThomas
Newly Registered

Visiting Visa to Dependent Visa

Post by DoubtingThomas » Fri May 14, 2004 4:34 pm

Hi Guys,

I need advise on whether a person on a visitors visa can get converted to dependent visa in the UK itself i.e. without going back to the native country.

Many thanks!!

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri May 14, 2004 5:12 pm

We need to know the relevant nationalities and sponsor status.

DoubtingThomas
Newly Registered

Post by DoubtingThomas » Fri May 14, 2004 6:12 pm

The visitor is an Indian National and is married to an Indian working on a work permit in the UK.
Both the visitor and her husband visited UK on a visitor visa (sponsored by an Indian National). The husband has now secured a very well paid job and is working on a work permit. Can she change her visa status from visitor to dependent without going back to India.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri May 14, 2004 6:17 pm

Interesting:

1. The husband changed from a visitor to a WP holder in country - he is a visa national and this is not possible.

2. The wife was not included in the WP application form despite being in the UK?

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Fri May 14, 2004 7:23 pm

perhaps (1) occured a while ago, and definitely before (2) or before they were even married?
:roll:

sywahu

Post by sywahu » Sat May 15, 2004 1:26 am

Yes it definitely is possible. But in the cases I know, both the husband's and wife's passports were handed in at the time of the work permit application. Not one after the other.

But you would think its logical for HO to be "lenient" in this case and not force the dependent to apply from home country.

DoubtingThomas
Newly Registered

Post by DoubtingThomas » Sun May 16, 2004 10:51 am

Hi Kay,

1. Yes, the change from visitor to work-permit did happen. It was probably because the husband's job is a shortage occupation (doctor).
2. The wife joined on a visitor visa after the workpermit application was filed (and before the work-permit was issued)

Now can she change her status from visitor to dependent?

DoubtingThomas
Newly Registered

Post by DoubtingThomas » Mon May 17, 2004 3:33 pm

Guys...could someone please advice

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Mon May 17, 2004 3:45 pm

Now can she change her status from visitor to dependent?
Why didnt she apply for depedant visa initially?? (or include the spouses passport during the WP application)

I suspect it is not gonna be easy to change from Visitor to depedant 'in country' - unless there are strong reasons why the case should be handled outside the rules...

Is there another side to this story :roll:
Where there is a will there is a way.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon May 17, 2004 4:31 pm

Only way to find out is by applying on Form FLR (O) and making sure that this is done well before the expiry of the current visitor visa - it will be considered outside the rules because the applicant is a visa national. Ensure that plenty of 'relevant' supporting documentation is submitted particularly that pertaining to proof of finances and accomodation. I would also suggest the sponsor submit a letter from his employer detailing job title, duration i.e. permanent and salary. The Home Office in exercising discretion will focus on ability to maintain and accomodate without recourse to public funds.

Good Luck and let us know how you got on.