ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

blackeyes
Newly Registered

OCI and surrendering passport

Post by blackeyes » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:01 pm

I must say this is a great forum.

I wanted to know what is the new procedure and what is the total cost? Is it a case now that the passport has to be surrendered first and then the application for OCI can be done?

I am a bit confused. Any help is highly appreciated from the members of the forum.

rakh

Re: OCI and surrendering passport

Post by rakh » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:14 pm

blackeyes wrote:I must say this is a great forum.

I wanted to know what is the new procedure and what is the total cost? Is it a case now that the passport has to be surrendered first and then the application for OCI can be done?

I am a bit confused. Any help is highly appreciated from the members of the forum.
hi
i still don't understand the new procedure, not detailed on website of hcilondon, so i think nothing has changed , apply for OCI once approved take ur indian passport along with it to be canceled

msbabu
Newly Registered

Post by msbabu » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:44 pm

rakh wrote:

hi
i still don't understand the new procedure, not detailed on website of hcilondon, so i think nothing has changed , apply for OCI once approved take ur indian passport along with it to be canceled
No its for sure they changed the rules, after many many attempts to call someone finally someone picked up and said they have changed the rules for OCI apps you definitely need to get a surrender certificate first by sending your passport for cancellation in preparation for applying for OCI, i know there is no form on net , the next alternative is to go in person..... any other updates from anyone is appreciated

msbabu
Newly Registered

Post by msbabu » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:46 pm

msbabu wrote:
rakh wrote:

hi
No its for sure they changed the rules, after many many attempts to call someone finally someone picked up and said they have changed the rules for OCI apps you definitely need to get a surrender certificate first by sending your passport for cancellation in preparation for applying for OCI, i know there is no form on net , the next alternative is to go in person..... any other updates from anyone is appreciated

oopps forgot the cost, its £90.... for surrender certificate

blackeyes
Newly Registered

Post by blackeyes » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:04 am

Thanks Msbabu for the information. One more thing is the £90/- per application? I mean is there something like family application at all?
msbabu wrote:
msbabu wrote:No its for sure they changed the rules, after many many attempts to call someone finally someone picked up and said they have changed the rules for OCI apps you definitely need to get a surrender certificate first by sending your passport for cancellation in preparation for applying for OCI, i know there is no form on net , the next alternative is to go in person..... any other updates from anyone is appreciated

rakh

Post by rakh » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:03 pm

msbabu wrote:
msbabu wrote:
rakh wrote:

hi

any updates for persons who would like to apply by post

llNicell

Post by llNicell » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi,

My OCI card has been approved & ready for collection. My Indian passport was cancelled & returned back to me at window while I had submitted application for OCI. Can anyone advise me if I need to physically surrender my cancelled Indian passport before collecting OCI card in view of recent changes in guide lines?

rakh

Post by rakh » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:49 pm

llNicell wrote:Hi,

My OCI card has been approved & ready for collection. My Indian passport was cancelled & returned back to me at window while I had submitted application for OCI. Can anyone advise me if I need to physically surrender my cancelled Indian passport before collecting OCI card in view of recent changes in guide lines?
hi
what date you went to HCI for submitting ur application, also did you paid anything extra for getting your passport cancelled

peejay

Post by peejay » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:29 pm

http://hcilondon.in/notice.php

Application form and fees published for surrendering indian passport.

SidB

Travelled on Indian PP after naturalisation but b4 UK pp

Post by SidB » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:12 pm

Hi,
I travelled on my indian passport after I attended my citizenship ceremony. However, I did not apply for my UK passport until after i came back. I have not undertaken any trip since the UK passport was issued.

I noticed in applying for a surrender of your Indian passport you need to provide proof of naturalisation.

Do you think there is a chance i will get penalised that i travelled after naturalisation???

llNicell

Post by llNicell » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:02 am

rakh wrote:
llNicell wrote:Hi,

hi
what date you went to HCI for submitting ur application, also did you paid anything extra for getting your passport cancelled
I have collected my OCI on 8th Oct without any problem. HCI did not ask me to surrender my Indian passport. My OCI application was submitted on 12th August, approved on 25th Sept and was ready for collection from 5th Oct.

SidB

Post by SidB » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:13 pm

peejay wrote:http://hcilondon.in/notice.php

Hi,

Do we know if we can submit an application for surrender by post?? I do not want to get a banker's draft and then realise a postal application is not accepted.

Has anyone tried this??

msbabu
Newly Registered

Post by msbabu » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:04 pm

Has anyone applied for OCI in the first week of September before the surrender certificate rule has come into force and been waiting for some sort of acknowledgement on the online enquiry form. I applied first week of september and its 5 weeks so far no progress on the online tracker, it says file not acknowledged.... pls share your experiences, apart from sending through registered post is there anyway of knowing if the application has been in process/opened by someone at hci.... if someone has applied in 1st week of september has your status changed to acknowledge....

msbabu
Newly Registered

Post by msbabu » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:05 pm

Has anyone applied for OCI in the first week of September before the surrender certificate rule has come into force and been waiting for some sort of acknowledgement on the online enquiry form. I applied first week of september and its 5 weeks so far no progress on the online tracker, it says file not acknowledged.... pls share your experiences, apart from sending through registered post is there anyway of knowing if the application has been in process/opened by someone at hci.... if someone has applied in 1st week of september has your status changed to acknowledge....

rakh

Post by rakh » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:21 pm

hi
do you have any idea if i have to surrender passport first and then apply for OCI or apply for OCI first when it arrives then the surrender indian passport
or can be done together

rakh

Post by rakh » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:23 pm

hi
do you have any idea if i have to surrender passport first and then apply for OCI or apply for OCI first when it arrives then the surrender indian passport
or can be done together

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:09 am

Rakh,

After 21st Sept, if you are applying for PIO/OCI/any indian visa, you need to surrender the Indian passport first.

1. First surrender the passport (with ap form, fees and other documents). they will issue certificate within a week or two.
2. then take the certificate when you apply for PIO/OCI.

Step 1 and 2 can't be done at the same time. Is that clear.

Also, they will not accept your OCI appl. if you still hold a valid indian passport. therefore there is no point of applying for OCI until you get the surrender certificate.

peejay

Post by peejay » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:15 am

RAJ2007 wrote:Rakh,

After 21st Sept, if you are applying for PIO/OCI/any indian visa, you need to surrender the Indian passport first.

1. First surrender the passport (with ap form, fees and other documents). they will issue certificate within a week or two.

Also, they will not accept your OCI appl. if you still hold a valid indian passport. therefore there is no point of applying for OCI until you get the surrender certificate.
Raj, can step 1 be done by post?

rakh

Post by rakh » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:13 pm

RAJ2007 wrote:Rakh,

many thanks raj for update, my next question has been asked already:) as i would like to apply by post - step1 ..any ideas on that..i have even mailed the HCI..waiting for there answer as well

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:32 pm

rakh,

yes i have done step 1 , posted my son's indian passport to them to obtain surrender certificate, along with photocopy of his naturalisation cert and british passport, £90 postal order and a covering letter instead of the form that is currently available, since it was not available then. i have spoken to HCi week before and they told me to post it with documents as suggested by them, they told me that it will two weeks for them to process the surrender certificate.

peejay

Post by peejay » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:49 pm

RAJ2007 wrote:rakh,

yes i have done step 1 , posted my son's indian passport to them to obtain surrender certificate, along with photocopy of his naturalisation cert and british passport, £90 postal order and a covering letter instead of the form that is currently available, since it was not available then. i have spoken to HCi week before and they told me to post it with documents as suggested by them, they told me that it will two weeks for them to process the surrender certificate.
Hi Raj, whose name you made the postal order?

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:26 am

High Commission of India, London - postal order should be payable to.

rakh

Post by rakh » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:38 am

RAJ2007 wrote:High Commission of India, London - postal order should be payable to.
Mnay thanks Raj for update, another quick one. do we need to attest all the photocopies for surrender as well?. This is required when an OCI application is made.

msbabu
Newly Registered

Post by msbabu » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:21 am

Hi
Has anyone applied for a surrender certificate by post, pls can you post the timelines when you have applied and when you have received your surrender certificate. Also in the notice section of hci , it states to send even the expired passport and active one. I called oci section and he said to send the active passport , a little confusion. When you are applying for a surrender certificate are they sending your cancelled passports back?

Pls help

SidB

Post by SidB » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:07 pm

RAJ2007 wrote:High Commission of India, London - postal order should be payable to.
Hi Raj,

Thanks for the update. It is really useful for those looking to apply given that this is a new procedure..

Couple of questions:
1. Did you send a return envelope for them to send the certificate back? I recall when the service was free the embassy told me to send a stamped or secure reply envelope

2. Did you send a postal order or banker's draft? Does anyone know whether one or both are acceptable?