ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is it necessay to write covering letter

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Duvvuri

Is it necessay to write covering letter

Post by Duvvuri » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:07 pm

Hi,

We are applying for HSMP extension in few days. Just want to confirm is it necessary infact mandatory to write a covering letter.

Coz i just now read in one of the posts that someones application was rejected coz he wrote something wrong in covering letter.
In that case I feel its better not to write covering letter and get it rejected.

Please let me know

meats
BANNED

Re: Is it necessay to write covering letter

Post by meats » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:09 pm

Duvvuri wrote:Hi,

We are applying for HSMP extension in few days. Just want to confirm is it necessary infact mandatory to write a covering letter.

Coz i just now read in one of the posts that someones application was rejected coz he wrote something wrong in covering letter.
In that case I feel its better not to write covering letter and get it rejected.

Please let me know
No you don't have to.

I believe his was rejected as what he said in the covering letter contradicted the evidence that was supplied.

Duvvuri

Post by Duvvuri » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:14 pm

thanks even i dnt want to take risk coz we write somethng in covering letter and if case worker finds it different then why to take a chance.

So it better to keep our documents and stuff as simple and clean as possible.

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:25 pm

I am sorry but I do not agree with you guys. Cover letter means a letter that is representing you, as if you are talking with the case worker in person.

Normally, Tier 1 application and its supporting documents are too many to handle in a short time. Case worker has to dig these out for every single item. So to make case worker's life easy, we write two or three pages as a summary of our application.

I would rather say we provide caseworker a path to follow for our application. It is upto us that how we guide the case worker. It is unlucky for that member whose cover letter was contradictory to the evidence, but it happens some times. All we can do for improvement is to learn by our mistakes.

Duvvuri wrote:thanks even i dnt want to take risk coz we write somethng in covering letter and if case worker finds it different then why to take a chance.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:36 pm

mvent00 wrote:I am sorry but I do not agree with you guys. Cover letter means a letter that is representing you, as if you are talking with the case worker in person.

Normally, Tier 1 application and its supporting documents are too many to handle in a short time. Case worker has to dig these out for every single item. So to make case worker's life easy, we write two or three pages as a summary of our application.

I would rather say we provide caseworker a path to follow for our application. It is upto us that how we guide the case worker. It is unlucky for that member whose cover letter was contradictory to the evidence, but it happens some times. All we can do for improvement is to learn by our mistakes.

Duvvuri wrote:thanks even i dnt want to take risk coz we write somethng in covering letter and if case worker finds it different then why to take a chance.

2 or 3 pages? Good chance that they'd just ignore that then.

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:42 pm

meats wrote:
mvent00 wrote:I am sorry but I do not agree with you guys. Cover letter means a letter that is representing you, as if you are talking with the case worker in person.

Well, it depends. If I have to go through 50+ pages, I would prefer to read 2 or 3 pages first. :o

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:56 pm

mvent00 wrote:
meats wrote:

Well, it depends. If I have to go through 50+ pages, I would prefer to read 2 or 3 pages first. :o
You clearly overestimate the people making these decisions :lol:

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:06 am

meats wrote:
mvent00 wrote:
meats wrote:

I think they do read cover letters. You see the post of the other member whose application was unluckily rejected because of a mistake in cover letter. Furthermore, I wrote cover letter for my application and it was three pages. My application was in person and I saw the immigration officer going through my cover letter. Majority of other members on this forum wrote cover letters with their applications. If you do not want to include any, of course it is upto you.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:09 am

mvent00 wrote:
meats wrote:
mvent00 wrote:
meats wrote:
I think they do read cover letters. You see the post of the other member whose application was unluckily rejected because of a mistake in cover letter. Furthermore, I wrote for my cover letter for my application and it was three pages. My application was in person and I saw the immigration officer going through my cover letter. Majority of other members on this forum wrote cover letters with their applications. If you do not want to include any, of course it is upto you.
If you submit in person then they will look at it, if you post it then i don't think they'll take too much notice of it. It's a bit like CVs in a way, anything more than 2 pages and it'll just be disregarded.

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:20 am

meats wrote:
mvent00 wrote:
meats wrote:
mvent00 wrote:
I think they do read cover letters. You see the post of the other member whose application was unluckily rejected because of a mistake in cover letter. Furthermore, I wrote for my cover letter for my application and it was three pages. My application was in person and I saw the immigration officer going through my cover letter. Majority of other members on this forum wrote cover letters with their applications. If you do not want to include any, of course it is upto you.
If you submit in person then they will look at it, if you post it then i don't think they'll take too much notice of it. It's a bit like CVs in a way, anything more than 2 pages and it'll just be disregarded.
So, it means that you agree to submit a cover letter, but you think it should not be more than two pages. I remember for my cover letter, I put a table with dates of transactions in my bank account for previous earnings sections (so that case worker just go to those dates and find the deposited amount in 24 pages of bank statement), provided contact details of my employer + bank (as space was not enough in VAF9 application appendix), wrote a few words about my dependents. That it is why it became three pages. If it is just main applicant, it might be one page or so.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:25 am

mvent00 wrote:
meats wrote:
mvent00 wrote:
meats wrote:
So, it means that you agree to submit a cover letter, but you think it should not be more than two pages. I remember for my cover letter, I put a table with dates of transactions in my bank account for previous earnings sections (so that case worker just go to those dates and find the deposited amount in 24 pages of bank statement), provided contact details of my employer + bank (as space was not enough in VAF9 application appendix), wrote a few words about my dependents. That it is why it became three pages. If it is just main applicant, it might be one page or so.
I didn't say that i agree with submitting a covering letter. That is personal choice. If you think that it makes it easier to say what everything is then go for it, if you think that it is easy enough to work it out without then ok again. But if you submit one then it should be brief and almost just saying what you've submitted as additional documents and not going into a life history as some people seem to submit.

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:29 am

meats wrote:
mvent00 wrote:
meats wrote:
mvent00 wrote:
I didn't say that i agree with submitting a covering letter. That is personal choice. If you think that it makes it easier to say what everything is then go for it, if you think that it is easy enough to work it out without then ok again. But if you submit one then it should be brief and almost just saying what you've submitted as additional documents and not going into a life history as some people seem to submit.
Yes, I agree. Life history should not be included in cover letter. :) It should be simple and straightforward.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Re: Is it necessay to write covering letter

Post by ChetanOjha » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:37 am

Please let me know
Cover letter is not mandatory document. But it is good if you include one which can summarise your application(50+pages). This gives an overview of your application to caseworker. Subconsiously, caseworker know you are getting enough points and he take your application in positive light. Besides, this is the only way you can present yourself to caseworkers or draw his attention to any points which he may missed going through 50+ pages of your application.
If somebody got rejection because he put incorrect figures in the cover letter doesn't mean you will follow the suit. If you put incorrect deatails, you will be rejected anyway with or without cover letter.

Duvvuri

Post by Duvvuri » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Hi,
Can anyone send me a very simple HSMP extension covering letter.

Thanks

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:21 pm

Can anyone send me a very simple HSMP extension covering letter.

Thanks
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=15879

sujyo

Post by sujyo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:00 pm

Cover letter should not be more then one page

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:06 pm

Would you please tell us what would you write on one page cover letter for Tier 1 application. Thanking in advance.
sujyo wrote:Cover letter should not be more then one page

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:58 am

mvent00 wrote:Would you please tell us what would you write on one page cover letter for Tier 1 application. Thanking in advance.
sujyo wrote:Cover letter should not be more then one page
Yes, it can completed in one page. I would use it to explain part, that can not be exlain on application form.

rg. Giving employer details for verification, some times , you need to explain self employement.

I will not write in my cover letter that, I'm claiming so and so points for my age, and use passport for verification. It's self explainatory in application form. Possibly one can summarize points claimed. Same with other sections.