ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying/Moving for FLR (M) from Student visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Spark
- thin ice -

Applying/Moving for FLR (M) from Student visa

Post by Spark » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:46 am

Hi,

My girlfriend is currently on a course which expires next year and we were looking at a possible 'partner' type UK visa whilst we figure out our options and decide where we want to go and what we want to do. I am a British-born citizen.

Does anybody know if this would be possible? Only I had a look through the FLR(M) form and it seems to suggest that it is designed for people who are currently here as common-law/married partners and want to extend their leave. Also, is it possible to legally work on a fiancee/partner visa?

Many Thanks in advance.
We make holes in the teeth
We make holes in the teeth.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:25 am

After marriage, it may be possible for her to switch (285). FLR(M) holders may work.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Applying/Moving for FLR (M) from Student visa

Post by Wanderer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:27 am

Spark wrote:Hi,

My girlfriend is currently on a course which expires next year and we were looking at a possible 'partner' type UK visa whilst we figure out our options and decide where we want to go and what we want to do. I am a British-born citizen.

Does anybody know if this would be possible? Only I had a look through the FLR(M) form and it seems to suggest that it is designed for people who are currently here as common-law/married partners and want to extend their leave. Also, is it possible to legally work on a fiancee/partner visa?

Many Thanks in advance.
Have you lived together for 24 months or over?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:11 pm

Hi, we will have done by the time the application is launched and both of our names are on the contract for our apartment.

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:15 pm

vinny wrote:After marriage, it may be possible for her to switch (285). FLR(M) holders may work.
Thanks, we do intend to marry at some point in the not too distant future, however we're both still young (mid-20's) so we were trying not to rush into it too much if it can be avoided.

Her country do not have any kind of fiancee/common law partner visa, however their spousal visa looks fairly affordable and straight forward. We are also looking at a possible application to Canada as a common-law couple, however she has been a student for a long time and is currently a bit low on work experience and it's difficult to move there in my profession at the moment I believe.
Last edited by Spark on Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:12 am

Switching to unmarried partners may also be possible.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:38 pm

Thanks Vinny, that answered my questions and was exactly what I wanted.

Very much appreciated.