ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa and work permit status???

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rawl
Newly Registered

Spouse visa and work permit status???

Post by rawl » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:40 am

Please help I can't seem to find any info on the following:-
I am an EEA national separated from my Brazilian national spouse after 1 year into a 2yr spouse visa. She left the house of sponsorship, and is now living and trying to secure a life with another UK citizen.
I have informed the Immigration dept that the relationship is no longer subsisting, and am pursuing a divorce.
She is currently working , but is she technically illegally working since the spouse visa and included work permit is no longer valid? If so do I inform the works/labour dept. or the employer?
Any advice much appreciated.

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:46 am

Shop her, it's the only way they'll learn.
We make holes in the teeth
We make holes in the teeth.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:08 am

Spark wrote:Shop her, it's the only way they'll learn.
Agreed but the tree-huggers will be on soon working out how she can stay and resuming the 'I suppose you've never done anything illegal....' argument in a bit....

You could inform her employer but on the face of it she has a valid visa so he may not bite. Tel him about the 10k fine though and he might not want to take the chance.

Not wanting to jump on the OP but here we have yet another disastrous international relationship, further proof to me spouse visas are too easy to get....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

rawl
Newly Registered

Post by rawl » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:55 pm

I have to agree with you, it was too easy to get my spouse visa, ticking the right boxes and money in the bank do the trick! I think I concentrated too much on that, rather than the actual person I was marrying.
When I am finally divorced will the employer then be forced to take notice, and fire her?

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:05 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Agreed but the tree-huggers will be on soon working out how she can stay and resuming the 'I suppose you've never done anything illegal....' argument in a bit....

You could inform her employer but on the face of it she has a valid visa so he may not bite. Tel him about the 10k fine though and he might not want to take the chance.

Not wanting to jump on the OP but here we have yet another disastrous international relationship, further proof to me spouse visas are too easy to get....
You mean Obie :P

And yes OP, tell the employer that as you are no longer together your partner's visa is now invalid and as such the employer is liable to a £10k fine. You should also report it to the HO.

Wanderer, more love at first sight perhaps? Not a dig at you OP don't worry, it's just in relation to another thread.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:32 pm

meats wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

You mean Obie :P

And yes OP, tell the employer that as you are no longer together your partner's visa is now invalid and as such the employer is liable to a £10k fine. You should also report it to the HO.

Wanderer, more love at first sight perhaps? Not a dig at you OP don't worry, it's just in relation to another thread.
Not Obie, he's a good chap with a good heart, it's others I was thinking about.

I just don't think international relationships can work for the most part - there's too many obstacles and I don't just mean distance, there's language, culture, adapting....

I'm six years into mine and I don't recommend it to anyone, I was lucky cos I wasn't looking for a foreign partner, I spoke the language anyway, I was into the culture, I'd spent significant time in her country and things just fell into place. I wouldn't change but I would never advice anyone to just go and look for a foreign partner, just look at those saddo's on Mail Order websites, I could go on!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:50 pm

Wanderer wrote: Not Obie, he's a good chap with a good heart, it's others I was thinking about.

I just don't think international relationships can work for the most part - there's too many obstacles and I don't just mean distance, there's language, culture, adapting....

I'm six years into mine and I don't recommend it to anyone, I was lucky cos I wasn't looking for a foreign partner, I spoke the language anyway, I was into the culture, I'd spent significant time in her country and things just fell into place. I wouldn't change but I would never advice anyone to just go and look for a foreign partner, just look at those saddo's on Mail Order websites, I could go on!
I agree with what you say about Obie, although he can be a tree-hugger type at times.

I also agree with the international relationships. They're not easy, i've been quite lucky so far with mine as i've spent a lot of time in her country and her English is better than some of the Brits over here so communication isn't an issue like it is with some. And we're more or less the same age which always tends to help :lol:

hopeless2009
Newly Registered

Post by hopeless2009 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:47 pm

I am afraid there is not much you can do. She is still legal and is entitle to work till you reach the decree absolute stage in your divorce.

Have a look at this

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:9i ... clnk&gl=uk

Hope this will help. Best of luck

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:53 pm

hopeless2009 wrote:I am afraid there is not much you can do. She is still legal and is entitle to work till you reach the decree absolute stage in your divorce.

Have a look at this

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:9i ... clnk&gl=uk

Hope this will help. Best of luck
That link is from back in 2001.

She's currently working illegally.

hopeless2009
Newly Registered

Post by hopeless2009 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:46 am

Meats , you are right since it is a 2 year spouse visa so EU law is not involved otherwise it would have been a different story. Apologies for this.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:14 am

If your relationship with your partner breaks down

I believe that she is still permitted to remain and work until her leave expires, unless the UKBA decides to curtail her leave or remove her.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.