ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Postal Strike by Royal Mail

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

imran22
Member of Standing

Postal Strike by Royal Mail

Post by imran22 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:28 pm

Hi All

I have posted my application on 8th October and homeoffice has received it but I have just read in the news that Royal Mail is announcing strike which will probably go ahead from 22nd October. This is roughly the time when I will be getting my application back if all is well. I know how bad is the postal strike as I got some of my parcels after one month of postage date and that is within UK.

My question is can I ask homeoffice now (I have already applied) that I want to arrange a courier pickup for my application once a decision has been made. And whether i should do it or not

I will be really grateful for any advice

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:02 pm

anyone knows answer to my question ???

myegin11

Post by myegin11 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:10 pm

You can also arrange for your documents to be collected by courier at your own cost. If you would like to arrange a courier, put a courier request in writing by fax to 0114 207 5862.
You can find this in the following link:
http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingin ... e/#header4

tipu20

Re: Postal Strike by Royal Mail

Post by tipu20 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:10 pm

imran22 wrote:Hi All

I have posted my application on 8th October and homeoffice has received it but I have just read in the news that Royal Mail is announcing strike which will probably go ahead from 22nd October. This is roughly the time when I will be getting my application back if all is well. I know how bad is the postal strike as I got some of my parcels after one month of postage date and that is within UK.

My question is can I ask homeoffice now (I have already applied) that I want to arrange a courier pickup for my application once a decision has been made. And whether i should do it or not

I will be really grateful for any advice
You can request the courier pickup see the below from
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... e/#header4

If you would like to arrange a courier, put a courier request in writing by fax to 0114 207 5862.

Regards,
Tipu

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:48 pm

Can anyone tell me if it is good idea to interfere with it and ask them for a courier pickup. does anyone have previous experience of doing that.

Please let me know i am confused of doing that but i have also seen the pictures of agency worker sorting post on the footpath.

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:52 pm

Well my understanding is Special delivery and recorded delivery would still work. In case you have used any of these methods you should be fine.

Maybe other members can confirm my understanding on this.

Regards
Challenges make life worth it!

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:02 pm

I didn't attach self addressed envelope and i am feeling bad about atleast if i have done that for special delivery it is handled slightly better than other post.

Homeoffice uses normal recorded delivery, but imagine if it gets stuck at the bottom of the pile and it takes weeks to clear that because they keep on handling the new post and only touches the pile once they are free.

tipu20

Post by tipu20 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:51 pm

imran22 wrote:Can anyone tell me if it is good idea to interfere with it and ask them for a courier pickup. does anyone have previous experience of doing that.

Please let me know i am confused of doing that but i have also seen the pictures of agency worker sorting post on the footpath.
You can have all the worries you want if you think too much.

I have requested the collection by faxing them when i applied for my initial application (out side of the UK in 2007). the case worker contacted me via e-mail telling that a decision is made and i can request the courier to collect the packet from home office.

I contacted the courier they agreed to pick the packet and i replied back with courier information and time of collection to case worker.

I hope it helps & someone else might be able to share their story.

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:58 pm

Thanks alot tipu,

I will fax them once i get my reference number. I presume that they provide address to pickup as well because the one we use for posting is just a PO Box number. Can you please tell which courier you have used. Reading the forums there is another issue of signing. Homeoffice officials dont want to sign.

If you can answer this last question i will be really grateful

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:10 pm

Well when I applied for initial HSMP I also faced the problem that HO officials wont sign and so many couriers wont accept it.

I used Mailboxes Etc to get around this problem. They are really good and fast, you might speak to Frank at MBE.

http://www.mbe.co.uk/

HTH

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:57 pm

Tipu and InUkOnHsmp

will you request for courier pickup again or just leave it on Homeoffice's recorded delivery?

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:59 pm

Well for once I did the safest thing and attached a self addressed RM SD envelope. So I guess I am covered for the strike, making a huge assumption that everything will go well! :)

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:02 am

Is there anyone else here who had experience of asking for a courier pickup after they have applied.

any senior member who has seen any problems with this

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:30 am

Guru jee help

tipu20

Post by tipu20 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:56 am

imran22 wrote:Thanks alot tipu,

I will fax them once i get my reference number. I presume that they provide address to pickup as well because the one we use for posting is just a PO Box number. Can you please tell which courier you have used. Reading the forums there is another issue of signing. Homeoffice officials dont want to sign.

If you can answer this last question i will be really grateful

I used the followin , they were very quick and picked the document from home office on 1 hour notice & did not needed signature to send it to me

http://www.3dcourier.com/10208/info.php?p=1&pno=0

If you are very worried about Royal mail strike and losing your documents/ delays you should arrange for courier pickup to give you peace of mind.

Regards,
Tipu

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:04 pm

thanks tipu

but i sent my documents to DURHAM :( and on my credit card statement the transaction appear as HOMEOFFICE CROYDON. i think they will tell me in email where to pick it from.

And then i should search for suitable courier in that area.

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:15 pm

i sent a self addressed special delivery return envelope with my application. as per postal strike I don't think it affects the SPECIAL POSTS as they are charging for a service which they can provide, it is for normal first/second class post I believe.

I posted my docs on 5th Oct and they received it on 6th, payment deducted on 6th and got the reference on 7th.

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:38 pm

Hello everyone

I just went to post office to ask if strike affects recorded delivery and they confirmed that there is a delay of 1-2 weeks on recorded delivery as it is normal 1st or 2nd class only additional service is that it can be tracked.

Special delivery is not affected

Home office return documents using recorded delivery :(

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:08 pm

Hey Imran,

Thanks for taking the trouble of actually getting the facts from the horse's mouth on this one, and updating the forum on the same.

So I guess the best way for new applicants is to go for Royal Mail Special Delivery!!!

myegin11

Post by myegin11 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:18 pm

If you want, you can register for service update e-mails from Royal Mail:
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump ... =103100757

Or you can check service update web pages around the date you expect your application
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/cont ... d=99700760

letmec2006

postal strike

Post by letmec2006 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:07 pm

With the postal strike ahead, I wonder if the post to India would be affected.
I have to send docs by end of this month, is there any other way.

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:21 pm

Sure there is. Go for some known international couriers.

I sent my initial HSMP application by TNT. You can also use DHL/UPS if you want.

Cheers

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:43 pm

TNT are awesome.

nm
Member of Standing

Post by nm » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:50 pm

Hi

Posted my application on saturday and looking out the reference number from HO. Any idea how long will it takes.?

myegin11

Post by myegin11 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:10 am

nm wrote:Hi

Posted my application on saturday and looking out the reference number from HO. Any idea how long will it takes.?
Depends how you made the payment. If you made by cheque, give up to 5 days for the payment cleared. For credit/debit cards, you can check your balance to see if they deducted the fee. For postal orders, the payment is cleared immediately when they check your application. They may open your application a couple of days after they receive it.

Once the payment is cleared they should send the acknowledgement letter. And as discussed in this thread your letter may arrive late due to postal strike. Check the mailing service status around your area from RM's website.