ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extension of Tier 1 visa - Bachelor Degree

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sfris123
Newly Registered

Extension of Tier 1 visa - Bachelor Degree

Post by sfris123 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:58 am

I was granted a Tier 1 visa in 2008 for three years. I have not yet moved to UK. I just received an offer for a job and is considering moving there soon.

I only have a Bachelors degree awarded over 8 years ago. When I applied for the visa in 2008 bachelors visa counted towards the points. But I do not think Bachelors visa counts towards points anymore for new applications. But for extensions it does. Is my understanding correct?

I dont want to move to UK and then find out couple of years down the line that I can no longer extend my visa.

Reading through Appendix A (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... appendixa/) it looks like I can still use the Bachelor degree for Tier 1 EXTENSION after two years.

“7. If the applicant has, or was last granted, leave as a Tier 1 (General) Migrant or a Highly Skilled Migrant and the qualification for which points are now claimed was, in the applicant's last successful application for leave or for a Highly Skilled Migrant Programme Approval Letter, assessed to be of a higher level than now indicated by UK NARIC, the higher score of points will be awarded in this application too.â€

tipu20

Re: Extension of Tier 1 visa - Bachelor Degree

Post by tipu20 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:35 am

[quote="sfris123"]I was granted a Tier 1 visa in 2008 for three years. I have not yet moved to UK. I just received an offer for a job and is considering moving there soon.

I only have a Bachelors degree awarded over 8 years ago. When I applied for the visa in 2008 bachelors visa counted towards the points. But I do not think Bachelors visa counts towards points anymore for new applications. But for extensions it does. Is my understanding correct?

I dont want to move to UK and then find out couple of years down the line that I can no longer extend my visa.

Reading through Appendix A (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... appendixa/) it looks like I can still use the Bachelor degree for Tier 1 EXTENSION after two years.

“7. If the applicant has, or was last granted, leave as a Tier 1 (General) Migrant or a Highly Skilled Migrant and the qualification for which points are now claimed was, in the applicant's last successful application for leave or for a Highly Skilled Migrant Programme Approval Letter, assessed to be of a higher level than now indicated by UK NARIC, the higher score of points will be awarded in this application too.â€

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:48 am

but this condition does not apply for extention cases. so anyone who has applied for tier 1 before the rule change can extend their visa on old rules.

myegin11

Post by myegin11 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:17 am

Have you entered the UK within the 6 months after you get your leave to enter?

sfris123
Newly Registered

Post by sfris123 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:20 pm

myegin11 wrote:Have you entered the UK within the 6 months after you get your leave to enter?
No. I entered after about a year. Does that cause any issues?

myegin11

Post by myegin11 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:43 pm

Sorry if I am confusing but does not one need to enter the UK within 6 months after getting leave to enter? Or was this just for work permit holders (before PBS was introduced)?