ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extending HSMP to tier 1 From Outside UK

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bermuda1983
Newly Registered

Extending HSMP to tier 1 From Outside UK

Post by bermuda1983 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:06 am

I obtained the UK HSMP visa in February 2008. In the same year, I got a job with a UK Bank . I was assigned a project to one of their subsidiary in Bermuda for three years starting May 2008 until 20011. However, my UK HSMP is due for renewal in January 2010 and I would like to extend it under the tier 1 because after this assignment I will be returning to the Head Office of the bank I am working for (London) UK. Where should I submit my application for extension? Here is Bermuda or in the UK. Please note that I want to extend my current status as opposed to a fresh applications. Please advice if I can I be able to submit my application to UK by post or inperson for extension, considering the fact that I am current in Bermuda on an assignment working for a subsidiary of UK based company with the intention of going back to and work at the Head Office in UK after the 3 years of my assignment.

Also please advice if they is any immigration law that I should be away of that can affect my application.

Regards,

mvent00
Diamond Member

Re: Extending HSMP to tier 1 From Outside UK

Post by mvent00 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:00 pm

Extension applications can be submitted only inside UK. You have to go back to UK to apply for extension. Do you pay taxes in UK? As long as you can prove that you are away from UK becasue of a UK based company's assignment, there will be no impact on your immigration status.
bermuda1983 wrote:I obtained the UK HSMP visa in February 2008. In the same year, I got a job with a UK Bank . I was assigned a project to one of their subsidiary in Bermuda for three years starting May 2008 until 20011. However, my UK HSMP is due for renewal in January 2010 and I would like to extend it under the tier 1 because after this assignment I will be returning to the Head Office of the bank I am working for (London) UK. Where should I submit my application for extension? Here is Bermuda or in the UK. Please note that I want to extend my current status as opposed to a fresh applications. Please advice if I can I be able to submit my application to UK by post or inperson for extension, considering the fact that I am current in Bermuda on an assignment working for a subsidiary of UK based company with the intention of going back to and work at the Head Office in UK after the 3 years of my assignment.

Also please advice if they is any immigration law that I should be away of that can affect my application.

Regards,

bermuda1983
Newly Registered

Post by bermuda1983 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:36 pm

Thanks for the reply mvnt00, I am not paying any tax besides the tax I pay on my Bank Account. The company i am working for even though it is a subsidiary of UK company, it is registered as entity here in Bermuda and has to comply to the Bermudian law therefore I receive my salary Here in Bermuda and is taxed here is Bermuda.

The other thing is that Bermuda is a UK territory, Does this make any different. I have also registered a company in the UK but its not operating as yet, does this add any value case of making UK my permanent Home.

Thanks

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:38 pm

bermuda1983 wrote:Thanks for the reply mvnt00, I am not paying any tax besides the tax I pay on my Bank Account. The company i am working for even though it is a subsidiary of UK company, it is registered as entity here in Bermuda and has to comply to the Bermudian law therefore I receive my salary Here in Bermuda and is taxed here is Bermuda.

The other thing is that Bermuda is a UK territory, Does this make any different. I have also registered a company in the UK but its not operating as yet, does this add any value case of making UK my permanent Home.

Thanks
I think it would be better if you send an email enquiry about your visa application here https://www.visainfoservices.com/Pages/ ... lcome_Page

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:39 pm

In case of extension in / out of country is not important
other than points claimed

u can show bermuda salary for yr tax assessment and can get extns

subject to u have to pay taxes

u need a good accountant to sort this out

mvent00
Diamond Member

Re: Extending HSMP to tier 1 From Outside UK

Post by mvent00 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:07 pm

Sushil, his initial question was that could he apply for extension in UK while he is in Bermuda? I think extension applications can be submitted only inside UK. http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=45667
Is it right?

bermuda1983 wrote:I obtained the UK HSMP visa in February 2008. In the same year, I got a job with a UK Bank . I was assigned a project to one of their subsidiary in Bermuda for three years starting May 2008 until 20011. However, my UK HSMP is due for renewal in January 2010 and I would like to extend it under the tier 1 because after this assignment I will be returning to the Head Office of the bank I am working for (London) UK. Where should I submit my application for extension? Here is Bermuda or in the UK. Please note that I want to extend my current status as opposed to a fresh applications. Please advice if I can I be able to submit my application to UK by post or inperson for extension, considering the fact that I am current in Bermuda on an assignment working for a subsidiary of UK based company with the intention of going back to and work at the Head Office in UK after the 3 years of my assignment.

Regards,

bermuda1983
Newly Registered

Post by bermuda1983 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:02 pm

Mvent/Sushil, thanks for you response and the useful links.

Mvent you right the question was ''Can I be able to apply for an extension of my HSMP to tier 1 even though I have never worked in UK for the last 18 months that I had HSMP.''?

I am prepaid to go UK to submit my application form, but want I wanted to know was if it was possible to extent the visa even though I have never worked in the UK or maybe should I say use my previous HSMP visa. The company I am current working for is a UK company and I am working for their subsidiary here in Bermuda. I pay Bermudian tax, but I don't pay UK tax simple because I am paid my salary with the subsidiary here in Bermuda and not the UK company. I will see if I can get more infor from that guy who said he was able to extend his HSMP even though he was out of UK for the big part of his visa.

Any useful information or links related to this are much welcome.

I have tried to send an email two weeks ago to that link you gave me Mvent but I just got a standardized answer which was not that much relevant to my case.

Thanks

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:59 pm

I think best way is that you should apply for extension in UK. The UK bank has sent you abroad, so it is possible that you might get relief in ILR process, by providing evidence from bank that you were working abroad on their behalf.

But, if your HSMP visa expires outside UK then you have to apply for Tier 1 visa, and start everything from begining. Criteria for Tier 1 is more difficult than HSMP now (minimum UK level masters, english language, maintenance funds, extra fees, etc), but with extension you can still utilize previous conditions, and your ILR process might also be safe.

So, I suggest that you apply in UK. You can prepare required documentation/proof for extension application (proof for your income/maintenance funds) in Bermuda, and to save time for application process in UK, you may think about having premium appointment.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=45502

Hope that would be the best solution, but wait for more experienced answer/s. Good luck!!

bermuda1983 wrote:Mvent/Sushil, thanks for you response and the useful links.

Mvent you right the question was ''Can I be able to apply for an extension of my HSMP to tier 1 even though I have never worked in UK for the last 18 months that I had HSMP.''?

I am prepaid to go UK to submit my application form, but want I wanted to know was if it was possible to extent the visa even though I have never worked in the UK or maybe should I say use my previous HSMP visa. The company I am current working for is a UK company and I am working for their subsidiary here in Bermuda. I pay Bermudian tax, but I don't pay UK tax simple because I am paid my salary with the subsidiary here in Bermuda and not the UK company. I will see if I can get more infor from that guy who said he was able to extend his HSMP even though he was out of UK for the big part of his visa.

Any useful information or links related to this are much welcome.

I have tried to send an email two weeks ago to that link you gave me Mvent but I just got a standardized answer which was not that much relevant to my case.

Thanks

bermuda1983
Newly Registered

Post by bermuda1983 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:11 am

Thanks so much mvent00 for the useful infor and the links.