ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Desperately need advice for a family member

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dosknyppxpuxtg
Newly Registered

Desperately need advice for a family member

Post by dosknyppxpuxtg » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi Everyone,

It's a bit of a sad story, but I just found out from an aunt of mine that her son has been hiding important information from her regarding the status of his stay here in the UK, which needless to say is in a bit of a mess. I don't have all the details, but here goes... I hope someone can offer a sensible advice here.

To cut a long story short, my cousin came to the UK back in 2001, successfully completed his GCSE and A levels and then a university degree and was granted a year long visa under IGS last year. Before it expired, my cousin applied for a switch to PSW a couple of months ago, but his application was denied (which is the most saddest reason of all, simply because of my cousin's stupidity, his family are literally millionaires and why he didn't have a bank account with £800, I have no idea)!

My cousin hid the fact that his application to switch was denied from his family and appealed against the decision on his own (big mistake, again!, without consulting any of his nearest). Needless to say, the appeal was rejected again, because of lack of funds.

Now comes the worst bit: he has hid the appeal rejection too from his family and just today my aunt came to know about the appeal rejection and most importantly, his visa actually expired back in May of this year! Although home office gave his visa back in September, no matter what, he's over staying.

Question is, what are the options now?

* Can he switch to a student visa now, using an in-country application, given the circumstances?
* Can he appeal against the appeal rejection?
* What are his best options now?

I understand this is a very tricky situation and I've advised my aunt to seek legal help ASAP to avoid additional hassle.

It would be a shame having spent 9 years in this country, he'll need to go back and possibly loose grounds for ILR based on the 10 year rule because of stupid mistakes!

Cheers.

meats
BANNED

Re: Desperately need advice for a family member

Post by meats » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:30 pm

dosknyppxpuxtg wrote:Although home office gave his visa back in September, no matter what, he's over staying.

* Can he switch to a student visa now, using an in-country application, given the circumstances?
1) No, as you pointed out he's an overstayer and he should leave and apply from his home country.

2) I'm pretty sure that he can't.

3) Go home and apply from there.

dosknyppxpuxtg
Newly Registered

Post by dosknyppxpuxtg » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:35 pm

Hi,

Thanks for that. Makes sense, what you said.

Just to salvage whatever that's left, if he goes back and comes back again using a valid visa, i.e. student, will he still be eligible for ILR based on the 10 year rule? Or that's a lost cause too?

Cheers.
meats wrote:
dosknyppxpuxtg wrote:Although home office gave his visa back in September, no matter what, he's over staying.

1) No, as you pointed out he's an overstayer and he should leave and apply from his home country.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:42 pm

dosknyppxpuxtg wrote:Hi,

Thanks for that. Makes sense, what you said.

Just to salvage whatever that's left, if he goes back and comes back again using a valid visa, i.e. student, will he still be eligible for ILR based on the 10 year rule? Or that's a lost cause too?

Cheers.
meats wrote:

Not too sure but he's currently here illegally so even if he stays up until the 10 years now he wouldn't be eligible for ILR.

Jack_Hammer
BANNED

Post by Jack_Hammer » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

My advice is to go to the immigration service advisory, or get a lawyer to see the best option . You have already stated that money is no object at all. It is the best thing to do while he still inside the UK, before leaving the UK. I don't thing it is an issue that can be solved by posting a few lines here. Get a lawyer if he can't get the best advice from the immigration advisory in your area.
________
Asian Cooking
Last edited by Jack_Hammer on Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack_Hammer
BANNED

Post by Jack_Hammer » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:11 pm

This to confirm that overstaying may be used as grounds for refusal to entry clearance in the future once he left the UK. If he stayed more than 28 days and left the UK voluntarily, he may end up staying at least a year before they consider giving him entry clearance again.

I would say advise him to clean up the mess before leaving the UK. Remember good advisers and lawyers have seen many cases like this.

For more, please refer to this link and read it carefully:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... les/part9/
________
Maruti suzuki specifications
Last edited by Jack_Hammer on Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:47 pm

dosknyppxpuxtg wrote:Hi Everyone,

It's a bit of a sad story, but I just found out from an aunt of mine that her son has been hiding important information from her regarding the status of his stay here in the UK, which needless to say is in a bit of a mess. I don't have all the details, but here goes... I hope someone can offer a sensible advice here.

To cut a long story short, my cousin came to the UK back in 2001, successfully completed his GCSE and A levels and then a university degree and was granted a year long visa under IGS last year. Before it expired, my cousin applied for a switch to PSW a couple of months ago, but his application was denied (which is the most saddest reason of all, simply because of my cousin's stupidity, his family are literally millionaires and why he didn't have a bank account with £800, I have no idea)!

My cousin hid the fact that his application to switch was denied from his family and appealed against the decision on his own (big mistake, again!, without consulting any of his nearest). Needless to say, the appeal was rejected again, because of lack of funds.

Now comes the worst bit: he has hid the appeal rejection too from his family and just today my aunt came to know about the appeal rejection and most importantly, his visa actually expired back in May of this year! Although home office gave his visa back in September, no matter what, he's over staying.

I understand this is a very tricky situation and I've advised my aunt to seek legal help ASAP to avoid additional hassle.

It would be a shame having spent 9 years in this country, he'll need to go back and possibly loose grounds for ILR based on the 10 year rule because of stupid mistakes!

Cheers.
1. U said your aunt and her son so wat is the legal status of his mother in the UK.