ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tertiary Education Fees Status For EU Fam holders.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Obie
Ireland

Tertiary Education Fees Status For EU Fam holders.

Post by Obie » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:32 pm

I guys, i wonder if anyone has been through this process, of determining Home fees eligibility with a tertiary education institution.

I have been getting conflicting information about entitlement of EUFAM holders, to non-overseas fees.

Some people say, they have to pay international fee, others say EU fees, and some say, they will be exempted, as EU nationals are.

According to the directive, they should be entitle to the same fee status as their EU family members. As Ireland tends to do things differently, i just thought i get people's experience about the process.

If one engages in a long term educational program and their EU national decide to move to another member state, obviously, they won't be expected to abruptly cease their course, surely.

Guys, i welcome your take on this.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

sideshowsue

Post by sideshowsue » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:58 pm

I got my BA here on the free fee scheme. Initially, UCC was quite adamant that I had to pay fees (EU fees, not the full, international rate), but after quite a lot of fighting and going over people's heads, I was grouped as an EU student and did not have to pay fees, just the usual registration and capitation fees.

I did an MA, and again I was classed as EU, so only had to pay the EU rate and not the full, international rate. I ended up getting a fellowship as well, so I didn't have to pay anything at all, which was obviously of the good.

As I recall, the university's criteria for assessing EU versus international rate are that (1) you had to be resident in the EU for at least 3 out of the last 5 years and (2) either you, your parents/guardian or your spouse must have been working/self-employed/paying taxes during these 3 out of the last 5 years in the EU.

Hope that helps.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience Sue. What documents do they usually ask for as proof, before accepting you as such.

I did the finishing bit of my Primary School in the UK, the whole of my Secondary and started tertiary education, before coming over. Will that be enough proof that i have lived in the EU for the set length of time.

I am just putting all my options on the table, and want to make sure i won't be charged ridiculous, unaffordable amount before i start the application process.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

seabhcan

Post by seabhcan » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:53 pm

Back in 2007 my wife paid non-EU fees to UCC. I spent months arguing with them but they wouldn't accept her for EU fees.

They claimed that the individual student must have paid income tax in the previous 3 years in some EU country, and that the income tax of the spouce was not taken into account.

I contacted various government departments who kept passing the buck or saying its up to the university to decide the rules (which seem a bit crazy).

Basically, I never got a straight answer, but I did find out that most of the Institutes of Technology treat EU family members as EU, but most of the universities don't.

zafarzafar
BANNED

Hi

Post by zafarzafar » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:44 pm

i have done a degree from UCD and i was treated as a resident of the country on the bases of 4EU Fam,