ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa for Grandmother of Irish child

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

seabhcan

Visa for Grandmother of Irish child

Post by seabhcan » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:05 pm

I have what is probably an unusual visa question.

I'm Irish, living in Ireland with my wife and son. My wife's mother is very close to us, and particularly close to my young son. She visits twice a year for a few months each time and has never had difficultly getting a single entry visitors visa.

She is retired and has little to do in her home country. We've recently been wondering if she could get some type of visa which would allow her to spend more time here and come and go more easily and frequently.

My question is: has anyone tried to get a long term visa for a retired grandmother? What should we apply for? What support documentation is required?

ashimashi

Re: Visa for Grandmother of Irish child

Post by ashimashi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:56 am

Sorry I don't have the answer, but I'd be interested to know as well, in case you eventually found out please share it with us!

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:37 am

is your mother in law a visa required national?
if so, she can only get a c visit visa for max 3 months stay. the other option would be to apply for a multiple entry c visit visa for a year. in that case she could come more often, but the max stay would still be 3 months only.
unfortunately, there is no provision in law for the parents of non-EU nationals (even family memebers of irish nationals) to get residency in ireland on any other basis other than visiting on c visit visa.

seabhcan

Post by seabhcan » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:02 am

Thanks for your replies.

I had another idea - my mother-in-law is shy of her English and is always wishing to improve it. I thought that she might be agreeable to do a language course in Dublin - which would give her a visa and, importantly, give her something to do during the day and help her meet people.

Does anyone know of or has anyone hear of Dublin language courses aimed at older people? I'm sure she wouldn't like to be sitting in a class of Italian teenagers, but if there was a group of fellow retirees she might quite like it.

Any info would be great - I'm not sure how to start looking.

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: Visa for Grandmother of Irish child

Post by Ben » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:27 pm

According to..
CitizensInformation.ie wrote:I am an Australian married to an Irish citizen and living in Cork. Can my Australian father come to live with us? He is on an Australian state pension.

If your father can show that he can support himself in Ireland and if he has private health insurance, he may come and live in Ireland with you.
I'm not sure how the Department of Justice deal in practice with the non-EEA parents of a non-EEA spouse of an Irish citizen, but hey - CitizensInformation says it's ok!
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:24 pm

benifa, the difference with that is that australians are not visa required nationals. therefore, same as americans, they can reside in ireland if they can prove that they can support themselves. a completely different thing is if the person in mind is a visa required national. unfortunately according to current legislation, or the lack of it, they do not have this possibility.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:43 pm

agniukas wrote:benifa, the difference with that is that australians are not visa required nationals. therefore, same as americans, they can reside in ireland if they can prove that they can support themselves. a completely different thing is if the person in mind is a visa required national. unfortunately according to current legislation, or the lack of it, they do not have this possibility.
Hi agniukas,

I must disagree with you there, if I've understood your post correctly.

A visa is merely a form of entry clearance. Some nationals require a visa as a condition of entry, some do not. Once within Ireland, however, the same rules apply to all non-EEA nationals, regardless of whether or not they required a visa in order to enter the country.

If Citizen's Information is correct, the non-EEA parent of a non-EEA spouse of an Irish citizen is permitted to reside in Ireland if he can show that he can support himself in Ireland and if he has private health insurance.

In the example, the non-EEA parent of the non-EEA spouse of an Irish citizen is an Australian citizen, but surely the same rules apply to any nationality?

Or is there some kind of reciprocal agreement between Australia and Ireland for these kind of circumstances? I doubt it, to be honest, but the lack of any source for Citizen's Information's text is not helpful.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:57 pm

benifa wrote:
agniukas wrote:benifa, the difference with that is that australians are not visa required nationals. therefore, same as americans, they can reside in ireland if they can prove that they can support themselves. a completely different thing is if the person in mind is a visa required national. unfortunately according to current legislation, or the lack of it, they do not have this possibility.
Hi agniukas,

I must disagree with you there, if I've understood your post correctly.

A visa is merely a form of entry clearance. Some nationals require a visa as a condition of entry, some do not. Once within Ireland, however, the same rules apply to all non-EEA nationals, regardless of whether or not they required a visa in order to enter the country.

If Citizen's Information is correct, the non-EEA parent of a non-EEA spouse of an Irish citizen is permitted to reside in Ireland if he can show that he can support himself in Ireland and if he has private health insurance.

In the example, the non-EEA parent of the non-EEA spouse of an Irish citizen is an Australian citizen, but surely the same rules apply to any nationality?

Or is there some kind of reciprocal agreement between Australia and Ireland for these kind of circumstances? I doubt it, to be honest, but the lack of any source for Citizen's Information's text is not helpful.
The same rules don't apply to all nationalities. The parent will need a visa in order to enter as a visitor unless the parent is from a visa free country, and another visa altogether to reside in Ireland as the parent isn't the partner of the EU national.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:00 pm

meats wrote:The same rules don't apply to all nationalities. The parent will need a visa in order to enter as a visitor unless the parent is from a visa free country, and another visa altogether to reside in Ireland as the parent isn't the partner of the EU national.
benifa wrote:Once within Ireland..

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:08 pm

benifa wrote:
meats wrote:The same rules don't apply to all nationalities. The parent will need a visa in order to enter as a visitor unless the parent is from a visa free country, and another visa altogether to reside in Ireland as the parent isn't the partner of the EU national.
benifa wrote:Once within Ireland..
And the parent will need a visa once within Ireland to remain within Ireland too if s/he decides to stay on and not leave.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:00 pm

meats wrote:And the parent will need a visa once within Ireland to remain within Ireland too if s/he decides to stay on and not leave.
Wrong.

Once again, visas are for the purpose of entry into the state. They are a form of entry clearance.

What non-EEA nationals (visa-required or not) require is permission to remain in Ireland, which comes in the form (usually) of a stamp in the passport plus a Certificate of Registration (GNIB card).

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:28 am

however, if a non Eu parent, a visa required national arrives into ireland on C visit visa, this visa type is not extendable (not even by GNIB). no matter what the circumstances. therefore, the visa required national has to leave within the 3 months. if they want to enter again, they have to get another C visit visa for 3 months outside of ireland. no exceptions. The fact that the parent is a family member of an irish national or has irish grandchildren, or even a naturalised adult son/daughter does not have any impact and does not help to aquire residency in ireland.
if it is a non visa required national, like american, australian or even brazilian, they can renew their permission as a self sufficient visitor with stamp 3 and keep renewing that as long as they can proof self sufficiency.
However, visa required nationals do not have that possibility. as their C visit visa cannot be extended beyond the 3 months and they do not have any option of getting any different visa while coming to ireland in the first place.
the only other types of visa would be 'D-join spouse' / 'D-join parent'. however there is no visa 'D-join child' or something like that to facilitate grandparents or parents.

HSE

Post by HSE » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:15 am

But there aremany visa requiring country nationals whose parents are residing here now after they apply formally to department of justice and they were granted long term stay and GNIB card.
now i am not sure what are their status but hey are here for years now. Just wondering is this kind of process still exist and if it is... can someone throw a light on it please....
Thanks

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:45 pm

there are such parents living here. but in most cases, they got their residency years ago when the system wasn't this strict and there were no official guidelines. now it is very hard to get your parents to stay here if they are visa required nationals. everyone on C visit visa have to go home, if they are not going, the deportation order can even be issued...
also people granted full refugee status are allowed to get their family members here including parents.