ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting married in the United States

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

allpeopleunite
Newly Registered

Getting married in the United States

Post by allpeopleunite » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:18 pm

I am a United States citizen and would like to marry my British fiancée in the US, is there special permission that must be obtained for that to happen.

Thankyou

Spectre
Newly Registered

Post by Spectre » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:27 pm

I'm a british citizen and I married my US partner in the US. I did not mention to immigration that I was going there to get married but I did not lie about it either, just they didn't ask. I had no problem getting married and then left a few weeks later without any problems. You might be supposed to apply for a fiance visa but if they aren't staying then at least for me it wasn't necessary.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:22 pm

You can get married on the vwp but you may be given a hard time at the border by the I/O.

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:24 am

If you want your British partner to live with you in the US, then you'll need to apply for a K-1 fiance visa. If she is planning to return to the UK, then it is absolutely okay to marry while on a visa waiver. To be on the safeside, be sure she has proof of ties to the UK (letter from employer, school schedule, etc) with her just in case they ask her any questions.

Lev Kobrin
Newly Registered

Re: Getting married in the United States

Post by Lev Kobrin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:30 pm

allpeopleunite wrote:I am a United States citizen and would like to marry my British fiancée in the US, is there special permission that must be obtained for that to happen.

Thankyou
No special permission, no problems, and no questions at the border.

Irish-name-to-be-SHAWNA
Newly Registered

Re: Getting married in the United States

Post by Irish-name-to-be-SHAWNA » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:59 pm

allpeopleunite wrote:I am a United States citizen and would like to marry my British fiancée in the US, is there special permission that must be obtained for that to happen.

Thankyou
I married my US citizen husband while I visited under vwp. No problem at all as long as your fiancee intends to return after teh wedding.