ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I apply for an EEA family residence card instead of LTR?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kobrien

Can I apply for an EEA family residence card instead of LTR?

Post by kobrien » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:26 pm

My husband is a UK citizen and I'm a US citizen. We currently live in Italy.
(Actually we just got here and now might be on the move again!)

In a year or two, my husband wants to go back to the UK to get a Masters degree and live there for a couple of years.

Is it possible for me to get the 5 year EEA family residency card in the UK instead of the Leave to Remain status?

(Or is this not allowed in the EU citizen's home country?)

I ask because we probably won't be staying there to settle, just to get an education and then go elsewhere. So, getting a settlement-type status would be a hassle compared to the residency card.

kobrien

Post by kobrien » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:16 am

sorry.

maybe my question is not clear, or I dont know what Im talking about (probably the later)

He's a UK citizen and we might be relocating to the UK for just a couple of years. I would prefer not to have LTR status since we might not be settling there.

Can I apply for a 5 year residency card instead?
(as if he was just another EU citizen settling in the UK)

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:32 am

Your husband would need to be either a worker or self-employed while in Italy.

See the ECIS for details, in particular the Surinder Singh case described therein.

kobrien

Post by kobrien » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:38 pm

thanks for the info.

He is employed in Italy BUT he has a UK contract (meaning he pays UK taxes but is registered and working in Italy)... actually we're not even sure if this is entirely legal.

I think this will complicate matters.
:(