ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Studying in the Netherlands

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Newly Registered

Studying in the Netherlands

Post by 2888 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi, I'm from Japan and I speak only Japanese and compent English. If I want to move to the Netherlands, is it a must for me to learn Dutch? What is the other requirements for moving to the Netherlands? Thanks~!

meats
BANNED

Re: Studying in the Netherlands

Post by meats » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:47 pm

2888 wrote:Hi, I'm from Japan and I speak only Japanese and compent English. If I want to move to the Netherlands, is it a must for me to learn Dutch? What is the other requirements for moving to the Netherlands? Thanks~!
If you want to study at a university in the Netherlands then the university might insist that your Dutch is of a certain standard, like they do over here with English.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:54 pm

meats wrote:
2888 wrote:Hi, I'm from Japan and I speak only Japanese and compent English. If I want to move to the Netherlands, is it a must for me to learn Dutch? What is the other requirements for moving to the Netherlands? Thanks~!
If you want to study at a university in the Netherlands then the university might insist that your Dutch is of a certain standard, like they do over here with English.
I know a Russian person who studied in Sweden entirely in English, so it is possible!

But, personally I can't even conceive of the idea of studying in another language, I'd never keep up, even in Russian, which is not too bad for me, everyone speaks so quickly!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:57 pm

Wanderer wrote:
meats wrote:
I know a Russian person who studied in Sweden entirely in English, so it is possible!

But, personally I can't even conceive of the idea of studying in another language, I'd never keep up, even in Russian, which is not too bad for me, everyone speaks so quickly!
I've seen some unis in Europe doing courses entirely in English too so it is possible as you say.

It's not too bad, i did a year of uni abroad in Spain and everything was in Spanish. You get used to it after a while but if that wasn't part of my course then i wouldn't have done it out of choice!

kabuki
United States of America

Post by kabuki » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:30 pm

In regards to studying, it will depend on the course. There are large number of programs offered in English. If you apply to one of them, only your English will matter. You will have to submit TEFL results.

If you chose to study a course offered in Dutch, then you would need to pass the NT2 II exam to study at the university level.

If you wanted to remain in the Netherlands after college in hopes of settling there, you will need to learn Dutch as a civic integration exam must be passed.

The following websites should be of some help:
http://www.nuffic.nl/home
http://www.ib-groep.nl/International_vi ... elcome.asp
http://www.idw.nl/pages/study.html

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:37 pm

It is possible... A friend of mine is currently doing a M.Sc in Computer Science in Eindhoven in English; but i'm not certain what exams he had to pass/certificates he had to show re. his level of literacy.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:54 am

What do you want to do in the Netherlands?

See http://www.ind.nl/EN/

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:45 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
What do you want to do in the Netherlands?

See http://www.ind.nl/EN/
I think it's only common decency to learn at least conversational level of hosts language.

For example, I am from Lancashire and I live in Yorkshire, I am honourable enough to substitute 'Bread Cake ' for my native 'Barm Cake' and not to ask for gravy on my fish and chips as it does cause offence...

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:40 pm

Wanderer wrote:I think it's only common decency to learn at least conversational level of hosts language.

For example, I am from Lancashire and I live in Yorkshire, I am honourable enough to substitute 'Bread Cake ' for my native 'Barm Cake' and not to ask for gravy on my fish and chips as it does cause offence...
I've lived in London for a long time and have never been able to get to a coversational level in the hosts language.

More important though: once you are in the country, it is a lot of fun to learn the language. I don't think I ever would have been able to learn German if I had not lived there. And it was very fun to speak it!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:51 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
Wanderer wrote:I think it's only common decency to learn at least conversational level of hosts language.

I've lived in London for a long time and have never been able to get to a coversational level in the hosts language.

More important though: once you are in the country, it is a lot of fun to learn the language. I don't think I ever would have been able to learn German if I had not lived there. And it was very fun to speak it!
Yes but the effort is appreciated!

My German is poor but even I can see the connection with Dutch (and English) - Deutsch = Dutch = God!

Yumah
Newly Registered

Post by Yumah » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:53 pm

There are a lot of foreigners studying in the Netherlands so it must be possible for you as well.
Read this website to see what requirements there are: http://www.ind.nl/EN/verblijfwijzer/

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:22 pm

The Dutch are good about making money so many of their programs are in English. If you want to work in the Netherlands, all of a sudden your lack of Dutch is an impediment.

MAKUSA
BANNED

Post by MAKUSA » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:03 pm

republique wrote:
The Dutch are good about making money so many of their programs are in English. If you want to work in the Netherlands, all of a sudden your lack of Dutch is an impediment.
well said mate, did my masters in Holland in english but could not get a job because of i had no Dutch.