ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK ANCESTRY AND THE NEW EARNED CITIZENSHIP BILL

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AntCoe

UK ANCESTRY AND THE NEW EARNED CITIZENSHIP BILL

Post by AntCoe » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:38 am

Hello Everyone.

Done anybody know what the views of the ukba is concerning the tough points required for citizenship for uk ancrestry visa holders. Will they be the same for Tier 1 and 2...

The reason i am asking is that i work as a barmen with minimum wage. I will not have my ilr before july 2011.

Will my pathetic but proud earnings and job count against me?

Concerned

Tats

Post by Tats » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:36 pm

I don't think the kind of job you do or your earnings has any impact on getting ILR or citizenship through the Ancestry Visa. As long as you do not depend on Public funds.

The Ancestry visa will be classified under the Family route under the new process.

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:39 am

Are you sure the Ancestral visa will be classified under the Family route?

AntCoe

Post by AntCoe » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:28 pm

Any evidence, perhaps a link, to say that uk ancestry will fall under family section?

thanks

Tats

Post by Tats » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:36 pm

See page 8 for the summary on ancestry visa and pages 10 and 11 for the details. It had long been decided since last year.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Tats

Post by Tats » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:55 pm

Its ironical that a person with an Irish grandparent can automatically become an Irish citizen, come over to the UK and be considered settled here (indefinite leave to remain) while a person with a UK grandparent has to live here for several years under some strict rules before even being considered to be settled, not to mention becoming a citizen!

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:05 am

Could someone clarify one last point for me please. I have read the information from the link provided and see that Ancestry is indeed part of of the Family route to citizenship.

But it also says that Ancestry will also fall victim to Probationary Citizenship. is there a benefit in being classed in the Family route and if so, what is it?

Thanks

asp

Post by asp » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:38 am

Tats wrote:Its ironical that a person with an Irish grandparent can automatically become an Irish citizen, come over to the UK and be considered settled here (indefinite leave to remain) while a person with a UK grandparent has to live here for several years under some strict rules before even being considered to be settled, not to mention becoming a citizen!
It's not an irony at all - just the effect of EU free movement. The person with an Irish g/p is eligible under Irish law for a passport, and so becomes an EU citizen. The person with a British g/p can get an ancestry visa and under UK law can eventually become British themselves. Each country has the right to decide it's nationality laws...