ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Re-applying for Tourist visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

decentguy_uk

Re-applying for Tourist visa

Post by decentguy_uk » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:23 pm

Hey All

Happy Diwali and New Year to all our Indian friends on the forum. I have a quick question

Information
I am an ILR holder. My parents' s 6 monthtourist visa expires in Feb 2010 and are currently in UK and flying back in November 2009

Question
1. Can they apply for new tourist visa in January 2010 (even though if their existing one expires only in Feb 2010)

2. If they are here in UK Jan 2010, can they apply for an extension on tourist visa from UK itself ?

Any info is helpful

Thanks

meats
BANNED

Re: Re-applying for Tourist visa

Post by meats » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:06 pm

decentguy_uk wrote:Hey All

Happy Diwali and New Year to all our Indian friends on the forum. I have a quick question

Information
I am an ILR holder. My parents' s 6 monthtourist visa expires in Feb 2010 and are currently in UK and flying back in November 2009

Question
1. Can they apply for new tourist visa in January 2010 (even though if their existing one expires only in Feb 2010)

2. If they are here in UK Jan 2010, can they apply for an extension on tourist visa from UK itself ?

Any info is helpful

Thanks
1) No as their current visa would still be valid

2) No. You are only allowed to be in UK as a tourist 6 months out of 12. I don't think they'll be able to apply for another visa visitor's visa until August 2010.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:42 am

meats wrote:2) No. You are only allowed to be in UK as a tourist 6 months out of 12. I don't think they'll be able to apply for another visa visitor's visa until August 2010.
Surely that depends how much of the existing 6 months visa they spent in the UK, and how much out of the new 6 months visa they intend to stay in the UK (assuming the ECO believe them)?

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:42 am

djb123 wrote:
meats wrote:2) No. You are only allowed to be in UK as a tourist 6 months out of 12. I don't think they'll be able to apply for another visa visitor's visa until August 2010.
Surely that depends how much of the existing 6 months visa they spent in the UK, and how much out of the new 6 months visa they intend to stay in the UK (assuming the ECO believe them)?
I'm not too sure how it works with regards to time in and out. Assuming that they spent 3 months of the 6 in the UK then would the next visa only be issued for 3 months because otherwise they could spend 9 months out of 12 in the UK? Or, what i think, will they have to wait 6 months before applying again. Either way, they can't apply for an extension in the UK.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:05 am

meats wrote:
djb123 wrote:
I'm not too sure how it works with regards to time in and out. Assuming that they spent 3 months of the 6 in the UK then would the next visa only be issued for 3 months because otherwise they could spend 9 months out of 12 in the UK? Or, what i think, will they have to wait 6 months before applying again. Either way, they can't apply for an extension in the UK.
That logic doesn't work when you can get 1, 2, 5, or even 10 year tourist visas...

But I agree they can't renew in-country.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:06 am

If they regularly come to visit you, perhaps they could consider applying for a 2 or 5 year visit visa next time? :idea:
The six month rule still applies though! They can only stay in the UK for up to six months in every twelve.
But at least then they won't have to go through the hassle of applying for a visa every time, for a couple of years.