ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR for under 18

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

FLR

ILR for under 18

Post by FLR » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:58 pm

Hi guys,

Does some one know if children under 18 needs to apply for ILR or they can apply for British citizenship straight after their parents (either father or mother) are granted ILR?

Thanks.

HSMP2008_JANUARY

Post by HSMP2008_JANUARY » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:19 pm

If the child is born in UK then they can be naturalized once one of the parent is settled ( ILR) in UK. Child does not need to have ILR for naturalization if they are born in UK.

FLR

Post by FLR » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:37 pm

Thanks HSMP2008_JANUARY, yes the children are born in UK and I agree what you mentioned.

However, spoken to PEO of Croydon office, they said there's no such rule in place where the children are granted citizenship - the only option in such cases is if the child is born in UK and before the birth either of the parents has ILR or citizenship.

I need to be sure about this as I've booked appointment for this week and wouldn't like to pay double fees if this is not true.

Has someone come across this situation in the near past?

FLR

Post by FLR » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:11 pm

Has someone come across this situation in the near past?

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:32 am

If the children were born in the UK, then they are entitled to register under section 1(3) as soon as either of the parents are granted ILR.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

FLR

Post by FLR » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:50 am

Thanks, I fully agree and the following links can confirm this statement:

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.as ... size=22370

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... /borninuk/

I don't think the person I speak with at Home Office was particularly aware and knew, but never mind that caused me to worry about it for a day:)