ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa questions

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Spectre
Newly Registered

Spouse visa questions

Post by Spectre » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:26 am

As some of you may know, i'm from the UK and recently graduated from university, and 6 months ago I married my wife from the US in the US. We'd met 3 times before getting married and I have visited one time after being married. I'm just about to start a full time job, though it is only temporary initially. My wife does not work as she claims disability benefits for her emphysema. I currently live with my parents, though I will move out when I have enough money due to lack of space there and I have an interest-free overdraft that will take me a few months to pay off. I wanted to know how long we should wait before applying to get my wife a spouse visa. Any help appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to add that she was turned down for a tourist visa in the UK once due to lack of funds.

andyb123

Post by andyb123 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:35 pm

They'll want to see that you have the means to support her without claiming public funds. Having outstanding debt will definitely count against you (particularly as it's an overdraft and not a scheduled loan repayment).

Living with your parents isn't a huge problem as long as you can get a Housing Inspections for UK Entry Clearance done by your local council (you'll also need a letter from your parents inviting her to stay, and some proof that they own the house and that you and they are resident at that address).

I would clear the overdraft and show at least 3 months of sustainable finances before trying for a spouse visa.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:54 pm

Are you both over 21?

Spectre
Newly Registered

Post by Spectre » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:41 pm

Yes, we're both over 21.