ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can i get married in the UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jyde
Newly Registered

Can i get married in the UK

Post by jyde » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:32 am

Hi guys, i'm back again but this time for a friend of mine..My friend has been in the UK for the 4 years and has over stayed his tourist visa..His fiance is a bristish citizen and they plan to get married but they have been told that they can not get married in the uk and that they both have to get out of the country and get married abroad..Is that true or is the priest just trying to chase them away..Thank you very much in advance..

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Can i get married in the UK

Post by Wanderer » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:51 am

jyde wrote:Hi guys, i'm back again but this time for a friend of mine..My friend has been in the UK for the 4 years and has over stayed his tourist visa..His fiance is a bristish citizen and they plan to get married but they have been told that they can not get married in the uk and that they both have to get out of the country and get married abroad..Is that true or is the priest just trying to chase them away..Thank you very much in advance..
You can try, the Priest is correct, you need a CoA for permission the marry but none of this will obviate the need to return home and apply for spouse visa. The overstay shouldn't count.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:30 pm

A COA that Wanderer has mentioned is a Certificate of Approval to marry.
This has to be applied for with the Home Office. However, a COA application may well alert the authorities to the overstay and he could be removed before the marriage takes place. As Wanderer has advised, even if they manage to marry in the UK, the spouse visa would have to be applied for from the home country. The marriage won't legalise his status here.
Are they both over 21?

jyde
Newly Registered

Post by jyde » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:05 am

There are both well over 21?? They have been together for years, does that count??

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:08 am

jyde wrote:There are both well over 21?? They have been together for years, does that count??
Not really, the only thing that could count is if they have kids together and he comes from a dangerous country like Zim for instance.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:35 am

If they have proof that they have lived together in a relationship 'akin to marriage' for a minimum of 2 years then he could return to his home country and apply for an Unmarried Partner Visa.