ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mallikz

Post by mallikz » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:14 pm

cdoddamane wrote:Thanks for that
The question is how do we collect the passports back. Do we just go there and ask for them or do we write a letter asking them to send it back?
This looks like a mine field to me. Hope they have not lost them.
Anyone else have the same problem?
Yes my friend had the same prob. When he phoned, they requested him to come back to HCI or they will send it by post. He went to the HCI collected his passport after going and speaking internally. And also resubmitted again.
So you might have to go there again, if you dont trust the Royal mail these days : )
Call them and see if they give you option of post or come to HCI.

wtabrez
Newly Registered

Post by wtabrez » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:21 pm

mallikz wrote:
cdoddamane wrote:Thanks for that
The question is how do we collect the passports back. Do we just go there and ask for them or do we write a letter asking them to send it back?
This looks like a mine field to me. Hope they have not lost them.
Anyone else have the same problem?
Yes my friend had the same prob. When he phoned, they requested him to come back to HCI or they will send it by post. He went to the HCI collected his passport after going and speaking internally. And also resubmitted again.
So you might have to go there again, if you dont trust the Royal mail these days : )
Call them and see if they give you option of post or come to HCI.
Thats correct, go and collect the passports, and resubmit. Again its not straightforward to collect, you might have to go inside and talk to someone, or stand in the Surrendering queue.

indianadr
United Kingdom

Petion Raised for Surrender Fees

Post by indianadr » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:34 am

Guys

I came across the following petition raised by British Malyalee Associatation:

http://www.gopetition.co.uk/petitions/s ... -fees.html

Please sign it and hope we can get some response.

Regards
Mallik

rosetaylor01
- thin ice -

Post by rosetaylor01 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:35 am

Hi..
Really thanks for the information..

keshgrover
Member of Standing

Re: Petion Raised for Surrender Fees

Post by keshgrover » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:48 pm

indianadr wrote:Guys

I came across the following petition raised by British Malyalee Associatation:

http://www.gopetition.co.uk/petitions/s ... -fees.html

Please sign it and hope we can get some response.

Regards
Mallik
I have signed. Need more people to do so as 500 signs are required.
KESH

punjabi boy

Anyone help on getting OCI?

Post by punjabi boy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:06 am

Hi there all. wondering if anyone has the answer to my query.
I am in the process of applying for a OCI to HCI London on the basis of my grandmother's Indian Passport. I have the original passport which is dates back to the British Rule period before 1950 however the expiry date is 1951. She was living in India at this time. Is this passport valid to apply for a OCI?....your help is much much appreciated.

rakh

Timelines

Post by rakh » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:16 pm

rakh wrote:
RAJ2007 wrote:reply to all queries:

I applied on 5th oct by post . still waiting to receive the surrender certificate. I have enclosed a self addresed envelope(with app. stamp) also. They only ask for active passport, not a passport which has already been cancelled by HCI. they don't send the passport back, therefore you should photocopy the passport before sending. Yes, you need to send postal order not banker's draft. You don't need to attest the photocopies.

I hope I have answered all your queries.
Applied on 12.10.09 for surrender certificate with the following documents
Orginal Indian Passport
Photocopy of Indian passport
Photocopy of Bristish Passport
Photocopy of naturalization certificate
Crossed postal order for £90
Recorded self addressed return envelope

cheers
Applied on 12.10.09 for surrender certificate
Recieved on 26.10.09
Applied OCI 26.10.09

punjabi boy

Re: Anyone help on getting OCI?

Post by punjabi boy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:35 am

punjabi boy wrote:Hi there all. wondering if anyone has the answer to my query.
I am in the process of applying for a OCI to HCI London on the basis of my grandmother's Indian Passport. I have the original passport which is dates back to the British Rule period before 1950 however the expiry date is 1951. She was living in India at this time. Is this passport valid to apply for a OCI?....your help is much much appreciated.
Hi all
has anyone got the answer for the above?....would be of much help as i do not want to apply then lose the fee. thanks

peejay

Re: Timelines

Post by peejay » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:47 pm

rakh wrote:
rakh wrote:
RAJ2007 wrote:reply to all queries:

I applied on 5th oct by post . still waiting to receive the surrender certificate. I have enclosed a self addresed envelope(with app. stamp) also. They only ask for active passport, not a passport which has already been cancelled by HCI. they don't send the passport back, therefore you should photocopy the passport before sending. Yes, you need to send postal order not banker's draft. You don't need to attest the photocopies.

I hope I have answered all your queries.
Applied on 12.10.09 for surrender certificate with the following documents
Orginal Indian Passport
Photocopy of Indian passport
Photocopy of Bristish Passport
Photocopy of naturalization certificate
Crossed postal order for £90
Recorded self addressed return envelope

cheers
Applied on 12.10.09 for surrender certificate
Recieved on 26.10.09
Applied OCI 26.10.09
Applied on 13.10.09 for surrender certificate by special delivery
Recieved on 27.10.09

punjabi boy

Post by punjabi boy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:15 am

Hi all
well today I finally got through on the phone to the HCI LONDON desk. I was told that they no longer use the 15 token system for OCI applications. Just turn up anytime after 0800 and you will get seen said the agent -
Can anyone vouch for this?.. I would hate to get there and be told "sorry you should have been queuing up at 0430am to get your hands on one of those 15 tokens. The agent would not give his name when asked for which I wanted just for my records.
So if anyone can help on this please let me know.
Thansk

msbabu
Newly Registered

Post by msbabu » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:56 am

Applied on 19.10.09 for surrender certificate
Recieved on 28.10.09

Sent the application by special delivery and enclosed prepaid special delivery envelope.

Recd surrender certificate and ofcourse with a spelling mistake :-)

klal
Newly Registered

Post by klal » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:05 am

That's not a bad turnaround. And that too by post! How do you intend sorting out the spelling mistake?

By the way, is anyone aware if the surrender certificate needs to be submitted with an OCI/PIO application? And if so, will it be returned or are they happy with a copy?

Cheers,
Lal

msbabu wrote:Applied on 19.10.09 for surrender certificate
Recieved on 28.10.09

Sent the application by special delivery and enclosed prepaid special delivery envelope.

Recd surrender certificate and ofcourse with a spelling mistake :-)

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:30 am

klal,

copy will do. i have submitted appl for PIO recently.

klal
Newly Registered

Post by klal » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:36 am

Thanks Raj. I am likely to apply for the surrender by post once the Royal Mail mess is out of the way.
RAJ2007 wrote:klal,

copy will do. i have submitted appl for PIO recently.

kumar2009
Newly Registered

Surrender certificate and OCI

Post by kumar2009 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi Guys,

I applied for OCI without knowing the passport surrender procedure. I received my Indian passport back stating that i should surrender the passport (nothing mentioned about the OCI application).

Now, I have surrendered the passport (26/10/2010) with £90 postal order (awaiting response from HCI).

Do you guys know what is the next course of action to progress the OCI
application? I am thinking of posting the surrender certificate to the OCI department with my GBRLI number.

Appreciate any further information on this

Kumar

desiboy
Newly Registered

Lost passport

Post by desiboy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:21 pm

Can someone please clarify what happens in this instance - or what I have to do ?

I am a British Citizen through naturalization. I want to apply for the OCI but I didn't keep my Indian passport carefully after receiving the English passport and now can't find it!

How can I get a surrender certificate or how can I declare it lost and then apply for surrender certificate? or Do I not need a surrender certificate if i've lost my Indian passport?

Any advise appreciated. :?

kumar2009
Newly Registered

Re: Lost passport

Post by kumar2009 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:50 am

desiboy wrote:Can someone please clarify what happens in this instance - or what I have to do ?

I am a British Citizen through naturalization. I want to apply for the OCI but I didn't keep my Indian passport carefully after receiving the English passport and now can't find it!

How can I get a surrender certificate or how can I declare it lost and then apply for surrender certificate? or Do I not need a surrender certificate if i've lost my Indian passport?

Any advise appreciated. :?
I would give a police complaint first

msbabu
Newly Registered

Re: Surrender certificate and OCI

Post by msbabu » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:35 am

kumar2009 wrote:Hi Guys,

I applied for OCI without knowing the passport surrender procedure. I received my Indian passport back stating that i should surrender the passport (nothing mentioned about the OCI application).

Now, I have surrendered the passport (26/10/2010) with £90 postal order (awaiting response from HCI).

application? I am thinking of posting the surrender certificate to the OCI department with my GBRLI number.

Kumar
Hi

There are 90% chances once you have applied for SC, HCI will move OCI to underprocess stage, it happenned with me, the only difference is that i applied for surrender certificate before they returned my application (i did not send my passport with the initial OCI app.) and before i got my surrender certificate it move to underprocess stage.

Cheers

kumar2009
Newly Registered

Re: Surrender certificate and OCI

Post by kumar2009 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:18 pm

msbabu wrote:
kumar2009 wrote:Hi Guys,

Kumar
Hi

There are 90% chances once you have applied for SC, HCI will move OCI to underprocess stage, it happenned with me, the only difference is that i applied for surrender certificate before they returned my application (i did not send my passport with the initial OCI app.) and before i got my surrender certificate it move to underprocess stage.

Cheers
Thanks for the info, i will let you know on the progress of my application

saabu
Newly Registered

Post by saabu » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:25 am

Hi Guys,

I had submitted my OCI application on 14th October without knowing of the new stealth surrender certificate rule.

I could see no acknowledgement of the receipt of the application until this Monday and therefore this week I posted my original Indian passport along with the £90.00 fee and hey presto! I can see that my OCI application is now 'under process' as of yesterday.

I had sent a self-addressed special delivery envelope along with my surrender application. I am as yet to receive the certificate.

By the way, what is the normal timeline after the MHA/HCI acknowledges your OCI application and gives you a File Number? Their site says 30 days. Is this true?

Regards,

Saabu

Mandy2
Newly Registered

Post by Mandy2 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:02 pm

I submitted my and my family OCI applications on 1st september, when i am checking online status, it is saying not ackmonwledged yet. that time they did not ask me to surrender the indian passports.
anybody who applied near that time, heard anything for their applications. i am worried now, because i did not recieve any letter or anything except online tracking no. any body any advice.

punjabi boy

Post by punjabi boy » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:24 pm

Mandy2 wrote:I submitted my and my family OCI applications on 1st september, when i am checking online status, it is saying not ackmonwledged yet. that time they did not ask me to surrender the indian passports.
anybody who applied near that time, heard anything for their applications. i am worried now, because i did not recieve any letter or anything except online tracking no. any body any advice.
Better to hand in person. You will not get any letter. Call them. I got through after 3 days trying some 30 times a day

msbabu
Newly Registered

Post by msbabu » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:21 pm

Mandy2 wrote:I submitted my and my family OCI applications on 1st september, when i am checking online status, it is saying not ackmonwledged yet. that time they did not ask me to surrender the indian passports.
Hi

i also applied 1st week september and waited for 6 weeks before anything happened except online reg num, i called hci many times and they were saying they are returning applications and asked me to apply for SC in preparation for oci app, after waitng for more time to get the application back i applied for SC and suddenly my status went to under process, so my advise is:

just apply for SC and they will process your oci.

Cheers

Mandy2
Newly Registered

Post by Mandy2 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:41 am

but I applied in person and they did not tell anything that time. I have not recieved my applications back, or anyletter stating that I ahve to apply for SC. I applied on 1 September. Please help

msbabu
Newly Registered

Post by msbabu » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:37 am

Mandy2 wrote:but I applied in person and they did not tell anything that time. I have not recieved my applications back, or anyletter stating that I ahve to apply for SC. I applied on 1 September. Please help
The rule came into force on 21st sept, you are right. I applied on 1st Sept by post recd on 2nd Sept. Nothing was mentioned at that time, but still i had to pay to get my OCI processed, just pay the 90=00 fee and surrender your passport and they will process it.

I know it looks unreasonable about fee, but getting your oci i feel is a priority, if you read other threads, everyone who has applied for SC had their status moved to "under process".

:-)
Cheers